Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times

Advertisements

Howdy all!

My fiance and I are getting married on Friday and neither have been to Austin in at least 10 years or so. I hear that a lot of great things have happened there since then (especially with new restaurants and eateries) and was hoping that I could get some restaurant suggestions from you.

We would like to eat some amazing BBQ (I LOVE burnt ends from smoked brisket), have some awesome country breakfast (we are big on breakfast) and maybe visit a couple unique restaurants that are exclusive to Austin (I'm a burger guy and she loves cupcakes).

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!! -Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 AM

144 posts, read 196,706 times
Nice place for dinner I'd say The Oasis

Barbecue-Stiles Switch

Great Burgers-Dan's, Phil's Ice House

Country Breakfast-Cracker Barrel

Cupcakes- Hey Cupcake

Those are all off the top of my head of course...

Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Fonda San Miguel ~ Austin, Tx in North Central Austin

Driftwood in Driftwood, just SW of Austin.

Hudson's on the Bend Out west near Lake Travis

The Oasis on Lake Travis | Sunset Capital of Texas High on a hill over Lake Travis, go for the great views and drinks, the food is not that great.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
BBQ - this will reignite a war here, but I will dive in any way. Generally recognized as the best is Franklin. But it has a usual two hour + wait on the weekends. La Barbecue or John Mueller are 95% as good, and MUCH less of a wait. The issue is, both are trailers, but the weather this weekend is fine. Brisket at any is sublime, but give a try to John's beef rib. Google for addresses - all three are only open for lunch.

Dinner - I hear great things about the new NoVa on Rainey. They take reservations, but if they are full, they will text you when a table is ready. You are right in the middle of the bars on Rainey St, so nice places to hang while you wait. This is as Asutin as it gets. Rainey is worth a trip if you don't eat at NoVa. Nice food trucks there as well.

Breakfast - I am hard pressed to beat any of the Jim's in town. I know it isn't trendy, doesn't have the Austin vibe of Magnolia Cafe. But their biscuits are fantastic, and the staff are pros - not people waiting for that record deal they know is coming.

Burgers - if you eat only one, Hopdoddy. There are others, but since you are destination dining, this is it. The S Congress one is a great place to walk around as well. When you are done, cross the street for ice cream at an Austin original - Amy's.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm still putting together our itinerary for the weekend. Lots of awesome ideas. The Oasis, NoVa and Hopdoddy are penciled in! Oh..and John Mueller's!

Last edited by deckhanddavy; 01-14-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
BBQ - this will reignite a war here, but I will dive in any way. Generally recognized as the best is Franklin. But it has a usual two hour + wait on the weekends. La Barbecue or John Mueller are 95% as good, and MUCH less of a wait. The issue is, both are trailers, but the weather this weekend is fine. Brisket at any is sublime, but give a try to John's beef rib. Google for addresses - all three are only open for lunch.

Dinner - I hear great things about the new NoVa on Rainey. They take reservations, but if they are full, they will text you when a table is ready. You are right in the middle of the bars on Rainey St, so nice places to hang while you wait. This is as Asutin as it gets. Rainey is worth a trip if you don't eat at NoVa. Nice food trucks there as well.

Breakfast - I am hard pressed to beat any of the Jim's in town. I know it isn't trendy, doesn't have the Austin vibe of Magnolia Cafe. But their biscuits are fantastic, and the staff are pros - not people waiting for that record deal they know is coming.

Burgers - if you eat only one, Hopdoddy. There are others, but since you are destination dining, this is it. The S Congress one is a great place to walk around as well. When you are done, cross the street for ice cream at an Austin original - Amy's.
Would you happen to remember if bone marrow was served at John Mueller's? I read an article where it was one of their menu items, but the website doesn't mention it.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Would you happen to remember if bone marrow was served at John Mueller's? I read an article where it was one of their menu items, but the website doesn't mention it.
I don't think so. But I have a tough enough time deciding between the brisket, sausage, and beef rib to notice - or have room for.

If you are hell bent on beef marrow, best I've had was at Salty Sow.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I don't think so. But I have a tough enough time deciding between the brisket, sausage, and beef rib to notice - or have room for.

If you are hell bent on beef marrow, best I've had was at Salty Sow.
Ha! Wow, you are awesome! Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
You might also want to consider having a meal at Jack Allen's Kitchen - there's one in Oak Hill and one in Round Rock, and if I were going someplace with great food for an occasion, that would be high on my list - probably right up there with Chez Nous or Fonda San Miguel.

For BBQ, Stiles Switch gets my vote in town.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
Dang most of y'all are newbies. BBQ is 2 places here - old timers know it -

The Salt Lick
or
CountyLine on the Lake

That's all she wrote!

That's it-after those come the other ones, Lamberts, Stubbs, etc.

if you need natural meat-it ain't fancy but Ruby's BBQ near UT is good but humble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin