Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Which is why you don't live in Texas any more, but in the Northeast, presumably. I can see if what your perception of what is symbolic of Texas is Baptist churches and bad TexMex, why you'd want to be somewhere else.
It's far more complex than that; yet I do find them rather apt symbols.

Don't take it too seriously; there's a lot of good, endearing, interesting and engaging stuff in Texas.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Texas is a tiny bit bigger than France, so it is it's own geographic area. It's a mix of southwest, southern, and hill country German. El Paso, Houston, and Austin are very different places.

I was born in Texas and have lived all over this state. Corpus, Austin, Victoria, Houston, and midland. Each place is unique, but what ties Texas together is an identity of being Texan and an independent spirit and a melding of cultures. Texas has had 6 flags fly over us:Spain, France, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The USA flag and the Confederacy flag during the civil war. On a side note, there wasn't as much slavery in Texas as in the rest of the south. I believe there really was only a small section along the gulf coast and far eastern Texas, that had many slaves. I personally believe that Texas fought in the civil war to protect states rights vs? protecting slavery.

Here is a snippet of the history of Texas and the 6 flags.
A Texas Scrapbook: San Antonio's Military Plaza

Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 PM

47 posts, read 93,978 times
Didn't realize that's where "Six Flags" came from -- thank you! Always fascinated to learn stuff like this.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I personally believe that Texas fought in the civil war to protect states rights vs? protecting slavery.
Stand by for the blast. The Borg doesn't approve of that off the reservation thought.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppets View Post
Didn't realize that's where "Six Flags" came from -- thank you! Always fascinated to learn stuff like this.
If you move here, you will need to get a Texas history book. There are things here even today that are rooted in Texas history.

You also might consider this recent, pretty even handed treatment: Big, Hot, Cheap, and Right. Still will need a history book if you move. Recommend TR Fehrenbach.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Thanks for the link, scm53! I'm going to have to get a copy of that book!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Stand by for the blast. The Borg doesn't approve of that off the reservation thought.
I don't mean to stir up trouble. There was slavery in Texas but it was not as prevalent as the other southern states. In fact the cotton farming did not go down past Victoria and mainly was in a small section of east Texas. There just weren't enough slaves in Texas for that to be a main issue and most people were subsistence farmers. Were they racist, maybe. Did they believe slavery was wrong? Who knows?

I do know it was the last state to outlaw slavery and many slaves were sent here from other southern states so they wouldn't be emancipated.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppets View Post
You're absolutely right, I couldn't care less what kind of car people drive or whether or not they're vegetarian or go to a shooting range on the weekends. This whole thread was started more out of genuine interest than any actual concern; I have read so much about Austin being a liberal stronghold in a conservative state and just wondered what that was like, how one influences the other or if there were any conflicts between the two.

I currently live in Toronto (am a dual citizen of the United States and Canada), which in itself is very liberal, but so is the entire country (even though our Prime Minister is technically from the "conservative" party). I think it would be interesting to see how people here would react if liberalism was the exception instead of the status quo, because it's not as tolerant as many make it out to be. What I like about your post is the sense of "live and let live" which you describe in Texas. I think there is a faux sense of liberalism here (much more so in Toronto than anywhere else in Canada, except for possibly Montreal), as in, "live and let live... as long as you're not a religious, conservative gun-person". I am critical of this hypocrisy and the ignorance that so many Canadians have towards Americans (unless you're from New York or L.A.; then you'll receive a modicum of respect).

As for the blank stares, you have no idea.
My Paternal Grandfather left Killam, Alberta as a teenager during the depression. He came to Texas to a CCC camp. He never left the State to return to Canada but brought his siblings to Texas after he saved some money.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
My maternal forebears came to Texas before the Civil War and settled in North Texas - Denton and Wise counties. They brought enslaved African-Americans with them and the free progeny of some of these folk were still living on my gradparents' land decades after emancipation. Slavery was widedpread in Texas, even in the more frontier areas of north Texas that were much less settled than the original Anglo-American settlement areas in SE and South Central TX.

Sorry about the typos. Doing this on my iphone and though it is underlining typos it is not letting me go back snd correct them. I will try after I post this.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Yes, that is true about slavery being all over Texas, but not to the extent of the other slave states. I am in no way defending the early texans who had slaves, but Texas is not a "true" southern state. It's more of a mix between the SW, German hill country and southern. I was just trying to explain how it is unique.
Here is a map that shows where slaves were in the US through 1860.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lavery_map.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin