Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I guess you mean the departure of blue collar jobs from S. CA? I don't know if you want to base an economy off of that to be frank, I mean all of the Rust belt cities were manufacturing hubs, it is just much cheaper for China to manufacture nowadays. High tech and other white collar industries are where it's at.
I think most aerospace workers - like folks who build satellites - wouldn't consider themselves "blue collar". The point is, we still build airplanes and cars in this country. Why don't we do it in SoCal? Why isn't there a single chip fab in the entire state?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
I'm no fan of Rick Perry and certainly lean to the liberal side, but what he's doing pulling jobs away from California is smart and effective. The reality is Texas does have a lower cost of living, lower taxes, and a lower cost of doing business, and going to places worse off in those regards to poach businesses and jobs is smart for the state.
What Texas is doing is good for business but I do think that it comes at the expense of other things like a lack of spending on infrastructure, social services, education, etc. I mean Texas ranks pretty bad in a lot of other things. At least Californians think of these things whereas Texans think that it's not a matter for the state but of personal initiative to get your needs in the market place. Some Texas cities just lack of quality of life per se because the cities are simply practical. Houston comes to mind.

Now I know ppl may think that the reason for CA's troubles is the project to create a better quality of life but I think this state would've been worse off had there been no assistance for ppl here. Despite the recession, hell, depression like economy, LA hasn't turned into Mad Max because of it.

Texas is in a unique spot, the land is flat, abundant and ripe for development which keeps prices relatively low. The economy is very diverse; energy, medical, ports, shipping, construction, etc. Other states cannot replicate the Texas model. So Rick Perry is being disingenuous by promoting Texas as a model for the country. Last, relying mostly on private industry for your growth is limited IMO. Sooner or later the state will have to step in otherwise you'll see a lot of uneven economic development.

I'm not calling for all out liberalism but a healthy balance, which to some Texans might seem like Bolshevism, lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
This thread is about California now? In the Austin forum? Whaaaaat?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin