Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

OP, since you will be working in North Austin traffic really shouldn't be a concern to you. My husband commutes from Pflugerville/Round Rock area to Riata tech office complex and his commute is a breeze.

If you need to commute into Austin during the weekend, things are a bit easier IMO. You can find yourself a home in the Anderson Mill area or suburban cities. It's up to you... but it would be helpful to know where in "North Austin" you're working because all three of the outer towns you've named are close to North Austin. If you are working closer to 183, I'd recommend buying in Anderson Mill/78729/Cedar Park or maybe even Leander. If you're working more east, I'd recommend Pflugerville and Round Rock.

You should be able to find good neighborhoods for $190K in all three places. Also, Novacek is right...Wells Branch is another value for the money in Austin that is worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
It's good that you are willing to live in an outlying town. Because 190K will not get you anything in Austin (Maybe something horrible in Dove Springs or Rundberg, but I wouldn't advise it).

But you should know what it entails up front: All the areas you listed will have horrendous traffic into Austin. All of them. And, the very best day will be the day you move in. Each day after that will suck just a little be more (and potentially a lot more, in the case of Mopac, for the next several years).

Isolated pockets - but the action is in central Austin. of course, we've made that unaffordable for almost everyone. Sucks.
I must say posts like this are just not helpful to the OP. You use diatribes about central Austin affordability like punctuation.

The OP is working in N Austin. A commute from the areas listed by the OP as far south as the Arboretum (not N Austin to me) would be reasonable to most people.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I must say posts like this are just not helpful to the OP. You use diatribes about central Austin affordability like punctuation.

The OP is working in N Austin. A commute from the areas listed by the OP as far south as the Arboretum (not N Austin to me) would be reasonable to most people.
Amen brother.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I agree completely.

To the OP, the important thing to do in avoiding bad traffic is to live as close as reasonably possible to where you work. You should be able to do that in N. Austin. Just avoid the Rundberg Lane area.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 AM

And I also want to say that the "action" isn't only in central Austin, or Austin for that matter. There are so many things to do all over the area.

OP, there are many shopping and dining options in the northern part of town/suburban cities. Local establishments and the familiar chains of course.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
The $190K piece is going to be the hard part. Inventory is really low right now, so it's hard to tell what will be on the market in the next couple months - that said, I'd still opt for renting for at least a year first.

I doubt properties in that zone are going to see the huge run-up we saw in 2013, and you'll be able to be pickier - or get a good read on what exactly the drive will look like for you from other areas.

For all of Komeht's random musings on where everyone should live and why, he is right about one thing:

The commute on day 1 will be the best you see, and it will go downhill from there.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
The $190K piece is going to be the hard part. Inventory is really low right now, so it's hard to tell what will be on the market in the next couple months - that said, I'd still opt for renting for at least a year first.

I doubt properties in that zone are going to see the huge run-up we saw in 2013, and you'll be able to be pickier - or get a good read on what exactly the drive will look like for you from other areas.

For all of Komeht's random musings on where everyone should live and why, he is right about one thing:

The commute on day 1 will be the best you see, and it will go downhill from there.
I don't understand how this supposedly evil commute applies to this poster if she is working north? My husband has a similar commute and it's less than 20 minutes. That has not changed over the years.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
I think a great thing to do is try and live within as few miles as possible to where you work. Those who don't relocate here have to be at the mercy of where we get a job but you can chose! Nothing helps the attitude in only having a 10 minute commute to work. I have been doing it luckily for 6 years!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I think a great thing to do is try and live within as few miles as possible to where you work. Those who don't relocate here have to be at the mercy of where we get a job but you can chose! Nothing helps the attitude in only having a 10 minute commute to work. I have been doing it luckily for 6 years!
Exactly.

Which is why it's important for posters to not be so cryptic with their initial info. A drive to/from "North Austin" could be a 5 minute or a 45 minute commute. Same thing for "West Austin" or "South" Austin.

Also it's important to know a few other data points. (importance of schools, interests, etc.)

Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't understand how this supposedly evil commute applies to this poster if she is working north? My husband has a similar commute and it's less than 20 minutes. That has not changed over the years.
It's not an attack on you or your point of view for starters. It's based on my experience, my opinion.

I'm glad your husband has avoided much of the problems on the arterial roads in north Austin. My drive from 78717 area to Burnet/Research has almost doubled in the past decade. With more and more people moving north, and the number of employers expanding in the area, rush hour traffic has increased dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin