Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:46 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,646 times

Advertisements

Although none of us can predict the future, and although they certainly may begin to rise (slowly), interest rates will continue to remain low (historically speaking) for quite some time (2-3 years).

I'm not so sure that I agree with your 3rd assumption either--what makes you think interest in peaking? Perhaps we're on the precipice of a historic influx of new residents--who the heck knows?

What do you consider to be an 'outer suburb'? Is Dripping Springs an outer suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Although none of us can predict the future, and although they certainly may begin to rise (slowly), interest rates will continue to remain low (historically speaking) for quite some time (2-3 years).

They'll need to completely unwind QE before they even start to raise interest rates.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:40 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I can't see prices decreasing anytime soon so I probably should move up now since my home has appreciated greatly.
I don't understand the logic in 'moving up' unless you need to. You will pay more in taxes, closing costs, utilities, etc. Save 'cashing out' that appreciation until you have to move or are retiring, whatever.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM

102 posts, read 156,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I don't understand the logic in 'moving up' unless you need to. You will pay more in taxes, closing costs, utilities, etc. Save 'cashing out' that appreciation until you have to move or are retiring, whatever.
The real kick in the teeth about 'cashing out' is that sellers always pay the 6% commission. RE agents don't really talk about that while you're trading up. The RE industry does this on purpose, because they are trying to coerce people into up-sizing and augmenting the agents commission. When the party's over and you try to downsize, that's when you're left holding the bag.

Imagine what the RE industry would be like if buyers paid the commission instead. It would make housing more affordable, less people would overextned themselves,

-and people would be less likely to get 'stuck' in overpriced houses. You make 100K a year and you live in a 500K house that you extended yourself to get into. The commute hurts, your utilities and taxes are draining you financially until your unable to save for retirement, and you won't sell the house because you can't stomach the $35,000 fee to sell your house.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberguber View Post
The real kick in the teeth about 'cashing out' is that sellers always pay the 6% commission. RE agents don't really talk about that while you're trading up. The RE industry does this on purpose, because they are trying to coerce people into up-sizing and augmenting the agents commission. When the party's over and you try to downsize, that's when you're left holding the bag.

Imagine what the RE industry would be like if buyers paid the commission instead. It would make housing more affordable, less people would overextned themselves,

-and people would be less likely to get 'stuck' in overpriced houses. You make 100K a year and you live in a 500K house that you extended yourself to get into. The commute hurts, your utilities and taxes are draining you financially until your unable to save for retirement, and you won't sell the house because you can't stomach the $35,000 fee to sell your house.
Buyers basically DO pay the commission - every house I've sold, I factor that 6% into the price I'd accept. Also, it's not uncommon to negotiate commission deals when doing a move up buy/sell. My last one was 3% on the sale of the old house, full pop on the new build.

The rest of your post doesn't make sense, relative to RE commissions. It's relative to poor decision making.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Uh, how about land? What if the OP has a small lot or noisy dogs next door? What about space, maybe they need more space. There are so many reasons for moving up so I don't agree with your assumptions.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Sellers do not always pay 6%.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Commute? What if the person works from home?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 PM

These posts are all silly. What if someone who makes 100K puts down a chunk of change on a property. I wouldn't call that over extending. Sounds like a lot of these posters are probably stuck in their houses and jealous of someone who wants to move up.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
These posts are all silly. What if someone who makes 100K puts down a chunk of change on a property. I wouldn't call that over extending. Sounds like a lot of these posters are probably stuck in their houses and jealous of someone who wants to move up.
What the hell are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin