Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 PM

115 posts, read 160,671 times

Advertisements

I just came back from my third trip to Austin this year, I know people are complaining about the winter in Austin, but coming from an area where winters are way colder and a lot of snow, this is a piece of cake!!

I am amused when I see schools closed when there are some freezing temperatures for a couple of days when I compare where we live, we have 90 days or more in a row with freezing temperature and some heavy snows! although we are having an unusual nice February and March, averaging 50 during the day and 30-35 though the night, I just got back from Austin, and tomorrow we have snow in the forecast... so I will miss Austin!

I love the fact that may be 30 degrees for couple of nights in Austin but then it goes to 60 or so! I love it!!

Let's see what would happen when I come back and move late summer.. I may not love those five months of 100 degrees, yet, I will have a swimming pool to go through my suffering, but the winter time will make it for...

:-) Love Austin!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:52 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I am amused when I see schools closed when there are some freezing temperatures for a couple of days
Just to be accurate, though, I have never seen the schools closed due to low temperatures. I have gone to school when it was 9 degrees, I think, when I lived in Georgetown many years ago.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM

You mean the delays due to ICE, not cold weather or snow?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM

Right, we have here ice roads very often...and the schools don't close except if we have a blizzard

Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Not disagreeing, just clarifying that it wasn't due solely to cold weather.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Not disagreeing, just clarifying that it wasn't due solely to cold weather.
Agree

Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse2000 View Post
Right, we have here ice roads very often...and the schools don't close except if we have a blizzard
Schools will always close or be delayed if there is significant ice on roads (in all the major cities in Texas), for 3-4 different reasons.

It's a pain.....but it's a safety issue for our kids because of our lack of "below freezing" infrastructure.

Not nearly as "amusing" as putting beans in chili.....to most of us.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
yes, yes, the winter is wonderful. I moved here after spending several years in the upper midwest, so I know the delight of flowers blooming in December and "cold" being lows in the 40s -- and by that measure, this was a harsh winter, among the coldest and longest I have known after 20+ years in Austin.

But wait until your first October after a full Austin summer (one that starts in May). We used to gasp at the sight of people in sweaters and hoodies on the sidelines of televised football game, come, look! They are wearing sweaters! Or when you peel a sweat-drenched toddler out of a Halloween costume because they were trick-or-tricking in 80 degree weather! You can learn to love it, sure. But there is often a real adjustment for folks accustomed to the traditional 4 seasons.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM

I think we will be ready, also Austin have so many others things to offer and for us it is a new start in a place with great schools, hot steamy weather for 5 months, and not extreme weather the rest of the time, friendly people, great business climate, heavy traffic (although we don't have to commute) music, great barbecue and food in general, and we have already some good friends living there plus close enough to some great cities like Dallas, Houston and San Antonio..

It was a great decision to choose between San Diego and Austin as our destination, I will only miss San Diego weather all year around, and the beaches, but Austin schools, cost of living, lower crime, entrepreneurship and friendliness won our heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
yes, yes, the winter is wonderful. I moved here after spending several years in the upper midwest, so I know the delight of flowers blooming in December and "cold" being lows in the 40s -- and by that measure, this was a harsh winter, among the coldest and longest I have known after 20+ years in Austin.

But wait until your first October after a full Austin summer (one that starts in May). We used to gasp at the sight of people in sweaters and hoodies on the sidelines of televised football game, come, look! They are wearing sweaters! Or when you peel a sweat-drenched toddler out of a Halloween costume because they were trick-or-tricking in 80 degree weather! You can learn to love it, sure. But there is often a real adjustment for folks accustomed to the traditional 4 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin