Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 PM

525 posts, read 719,856 times

Advertisements

Hello Austinites!

I am looking at a move to Austin soon so I am checking out rentals. I'm shocked to see the cost of housing in the city proper.

I thought I would be able to find a 2 bedrooms/2 baths duplex or townhouse no greater than $900.00 monthly. I wouldn't mind a house either if it's also under that amount.

I prefer not to live in an apartment but I am willing if I have to.

I am willing to commute no more than 10 miles into Downtown for work.

Can anyone suggest a safe, affordable parts of Austin for rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:37 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I thought I would be able to find a 2 bedrooms/2 baths duplex or townhouse no greater than $900.00 monthly.
Quote:
I am willing to commute no more than 10 miles into Downtown
Is there are particular reason you expected to find $900 town homes within 10 miles of downtown?

That said, Manor would seem to be the closest bet.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Hello Austinites!

I am looking at a move to Austin soon so I am checking out rentals. I'm shocked to see the cost of housing in the city proper.

I thought I would be able to find a 2 bedrooms/2 baths duplex or townhouse no greater than $900.00 monthly. I wouldn't mind a house either if it's also under that amount.

I prefer not to live in an apartment but I am willing if I have to.

I am willing to commute no more than 10 miles into Downtown for work.

Can anyone suggest a safe, affordable parts of Austin for rentals?
There is a two bedroom one bath apartment next door to me for rent for $995. It is three miles to downtown. It is a fourplex.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Is there are particular reason you expected to find $900 town homes within 10 miles of downtown?

That said, Manor would seem to be the closest bet.
I was told that it is impossible to find housing within my price range in the city proper; I added that I wouldn't mind commute 10 miles.

I do not want it to be any farther because Austin has the 4th worst traffic in the country. The closer you live to work in Downtown the better your commute is, right?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
I was told that it is impossible to find housing within my price range in the city proper; I added that I wouldn't mind commute 10 miles.

I do not want it to be any farther because Austin has the 4th worst traffic in the country. The closer you live to work in Downtown the better your commute is, right?
Not a chance...don't believe everything you read.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Where are bad areas in Austin that I should avoid when taking into consideration to search for rentals?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Where are bad areas in Austin that I should avoid when taking into consideration to search for rentals?
There is almost no violent crime here. The two areas that everyone says to avoid are:

northside: the Rundberg area (between North Lamar and Cameron Road)
southside: the Dove Springs area, which is near William Cannon and Pleasant Valley

but, honestly, I lived in Dove Springs for 10 years (up until a year ago) with no problem except an occasional overnight car window break-in (snatch and grab)

i never saw any drug dealing or gang activity

Old 03-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Do you have job offers in downtown Austin? If not, you may just as easily find a job out in the suburbs.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 PM

269 posts, read 428,361 times
Quote:

Even with a 10 mile radius of downtown, your not likely to find what you are looking for. Try SE Austin.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:

It depends on where your job will be. Businesses are spread all across Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin