Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:28 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Your subculture helped paved the way for what's becoming the dominant culture of this generation. This doesn't mean things were better back then. While a few hippies like you were doing what most millenials are doing know, the bulk of your generation were drunk driving with impunity, trashing roads and beaches, catching rivers on fire, driving for fun in terribly inefficient cars, and eating stuff like this:
BWHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHA. That may be the funniest thing I've read all week.

You're kidding, right? Reminds me of the Ann Richards line - "Born on third base and you think you hit a triple." Who do you think taught you your enlightened values?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And you know this exactly how? Were you there? Again, I'll take my personal experience and knowledge from living through the time over your theorizing about what might have been the case back then.

You remind me of my son, when he was 9 (he grew out of it shortly thereafter), telling me that the reason I didn't like a particular rock song on the radio was that I didn't like rock music (uh, huh, right, I went to see the Beatles, Hendrix, the Doors, Santana, the Mothers, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, and all those other bands play live because I didn't like the music) and the reason I didn't like the music was because "we have electric guitars now". (I promptly took him to see a screening of Monterrey Pop, complete with Hendrix setting his electric guitar on fire; it made my point in a way that was fun as well as instructive.)
Fair enough. All I have to go by are family stories, books, TV, the media, etc. I didn't live it. But I will tell you that my cousins are a whole lot more accepting and embracing of crazy things like urban farming, the sharing economy, cooperative living, etc, than my aunts or uncles. There's much less pressure to go out to the suburbs and start your nuclear family.

p.s. I'm incredibly jealous that you saw those bands, that's obscene.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
I blame:

Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the newly formed Republic of Texas, advised the commissioners to investigate the area named Waterloo, noting the area's hills, waterways, and pleasant surroundings.

Apparently he was a freemason.

To add further drama, hyperbole and histrionics to this thread I would also like to add:

George Taylor: Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it.

[screaming]
George Taylor: You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
BWHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHA. That may be the funniest thing I've read all week.

You're kidding, right? Reminds me of the Ann Richards line - "Born on third base and you think you hit a triple." Who do you think taught you your enlightened values?
Like I said, a relatively small subculture of enlightened older people. Who seem like they were much more idealistic, hard core and revolutionary than their counterparts in my own generation. But it also seems like they were more besieged and less accepted by their age group as a whole than today's young eco-folks, slow foodies, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. This stuff just seems more mainstream today, which is my point.

I have no illusions that all of these movements trending today would exist without those influences. I'm glad I gave you the chance to yuk it up though.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
Couldn't agree more. This generation (my own) cares far more about preservation, slow food, and art/culture than the two before it. Those generations had their chance, and they chose to turn our downtown into a daytime only, workplace only environment filled with surface parking lots where everyone got on I-35 and drove home to the suburbs, then repeated it all the next day.
what generation are you? I thought you were a millenial/echo boomer. It is boomers and generation X that are driving the financing, master planning, construction and vision for austin's downtown.

echo boomers were born from 1982-1995. when kirk watson kicked it all of they couldnt even vote.

Kirk watson started it all and he was born in 1958.

<<In 1997 Watson was elected mayor of Austin, running on a pledge to build consensus in a city that was then dominated by political battles between environmentalists and developers. He campaigned to raise more than $78 million for land preservation and $300 million for transportation improvements. And he led efforts to revitalize downtown Austin, secure the city’s long-term water supply, proactively improve air quality in Central Texas, and build a bypass to Interstate 35 through Austin.>>

Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Like I said, a relatively small subculture of enlightened older people. Who seem like they were much more idealistic, hard core and revolutionary than their counterparts in my own generation. But it also seems like they were more besieged and less accepted by their age group as a whole than today's young eco-folks, slow foodies, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. This stuff just seems more mainstream today, which is my point.

I have no illusions that all of these movements trending today would exist without those influences. I'm glad I gave you the chance to yuk it up though.
Here's the point - we are ALL more interested in these things today. It is a reflection of the totality of American culture, and not confined to any particular age cohort.

Believe me - we were all convinced our parent's generation didn't get it. That's what THL and I are yukking it up at.

NB - your envy over THLs concert list made me remember an all day show I saw at a place not much bigger than the Broken Spoke - Mothers, Canned Heat, and Billy Gibbons' garage band, Moving Sidewalks. Also glad to say I saw the Soap Creek Tuesday house band, Paul Ray and the Cobras featuring a young guitarist named Stevie Ray Vaughn. If it weren't for austin-Steve's house, Soap Creek would still be here.

Last edited by scm53; 04-24-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 02:05 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I blame:

Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the newly formed Republic of Texas, advised the commissioners to investigate the area named Waterloo, noting the area's hills, waterways, and pleasant surroundings.

Apparently he was a freemason.
And Jacob Harrell was the first local victim of yankee intruders who came here & renamed everything. Took him a few years to get tired of the interloping 19th Century hipsters and move to Round rock - thus exacerbating the Wilco suburban sprawl.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Here's the point - we are ALL more interested in these things today. It is a reflection of the totality of American culture, and not confined to any particular age cohort.

Believe me - we were all convinced our parent's generation didn't get it. That's what THL and I are yukking it up at.

NB - your envy over THLs concert list made me remember an all day show I saw at a place not much bigger than the Broken Spoke - Mothers, Canned Heat, and Billy Gibbons' garage band, Moving Sidewalks. Also glad to say I saw the Soap Creek Tuesday house band, Paul Ray and the Cobras featuring a young guitarist named Stevie Ray Vaughn. If it weren't for austin-Steve's house, Soap Creek would still be here.
And you made me remember bands at Armadillo World Headquarters, and going to see the Velvet Underground at Vulcan Gas Company. (When Moe Tucker comes out and nails her drums to the floor, you know you're in for a night!) And seeing B.B. King young, and B.B. King old.

There were advantages to dating a drummer back in the day.

But you saw Stevie. And that makes ME jealous!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
I've been mulling this over for a while. It seems everyone is well in agreement of what are our irreplaceable physical icons. For instance, destroy Barton Springs, and you have destroyed Austin - and I'm not being over dramatic here. Zilker Park, Deep Eddy, Town Lake, Hamilton Pool - all close rivals for that status.

But what are the irreplaceable cultural icons - if such things even exist? Because it sure seems like we are tossing them away as fast as we can. LL wasn't the building, but without the building, LL would never be the same. Put the AWH shows in the ACL Live theater, and you haven't recreated AWH. The sisters at Las Manitas understood this very well. One may have their own opinion of how that all went down - but, for example, there is no way you put Las Manitas in the La Condesa space, and it stays the same - and they knew it wouldn't be the same. Been to what replaced Jaime's? What an abomination.

Just one final example. Cisco's is a dump. Clovis isn't his father, doesn't want to be there, and it shows. The food is better at Joe's Bakery. But I still try to make it there once a month because I recognize Cisco's as a iconic place that we need to survive.

We can build all the shiny new buildings anybody wants, but at some point, everybody is going to wake up, like Creepy, and wonder when did Austin cease to be?
Did you ever to to LL? LL did not have a building except for the toilets, kitchen/bar and a small office, during most of its life it was an outdoor venue in what had been a lumber yard, with a dirt floor and paltry partially covered stage, mostly picnic tables and benches.

Quote:
Liberty Lunch, as a former lumberyard was an unroofed space between a large city owned warehouse on the west and an historic building, The Schneider Store, on the eastern corner of the 400 block of West 2nd Street. As such, The Lunch as locals called it, was a spring and summer only operation whose weather permitting opening each spring was a highly anticipated and attended event. Cover was typically $3–5, beer 75 cents and crowds often 700-900 people who danced on dirt floor of the lumberyard drive through in front of a primitive stage.
Late in its history some old steal beams and metal roofing from the Armadillo World Headquarters were used to put a highly questionable and leaky roof over part of it, but it never really was a "building".

Old 04-24-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Did you ever to to LL? LL did not have a building except for the toilets, kitchen/bar and a small office, during most of its life it was an outdoor venue in what had been a lumber yard, with a dirt floor and paltry partially covered stage, mostly picnic tables and benches.
Did you read earlier where I said I saw the Meters there? Also saw Uranium Savages, Asleep at the Wheel, Jerry Jeff, Beto y los Fairlanes, Butthole Surfers, Omar and the Howlers ...

I understand you looked at it, as an architect, and only saw the building. It was much more, and hasn't been replaced. Just like we aren't better because a parking garage is where the original Antone's was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin