Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,555,434 times

Advertisements

First, drop the "the" in front of roadways.

OP, do check out Georgetown. Another possibility is San Marcos.

Both would be quite the commute to downtown, IF you end up working downtown, but remember, only 20% of Austin employees work there, which means 80% work elsewhere.

However, if commute is a major issue for you, you'd be well advised to find jobs first and buy after that.

As far as housing prices are concerned, everyone and their dog is moving to Central Texas right now, which, due to the laws of supply and demand, makes this a seller's market for the most part. But there ARE some deals to be found out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,508,282 times
Thanks for all the great responses so far!

We actually thought about Georgetown since we occasionally drive up there and it does seem much more quiet and suited to our lifestyles. San Antonio I've also heard a lot of good about, and my wife was there years ago (the river walk thing) and loved the area.

All and all, we're not particularly attached to Texas, but we are sick of moving and there is a lot we like about Texas in general. Really it's mostly the roads, traffic, commutes, and busyness that really bums us out about currently living in North Austin/Round Rock. The cost of homes here is way to high for our liking as well, especially since we both grew up in Northern states where you can get beautiful and big homes for very reasonable prices. They are the two things we most would want to change.

Some other people asked about commute and we both would ideally like shorter commutes, within 15 minutes. We both work in arts/design currently, but I'm actually in transition to accounting/business management, and she is looking to get into teaching/education. Lastly, being near Austin is not really a big deal for us, we hardly go downtown anyway, and we aren't very big live music fans. Most of the times it's so darn hard to commute down to Austin we just forget about it and stay home! :P

Old 04-27-2014, 01:31 PM

554 posts, read 1,064,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr3ativegirl View Post
Don't come to Lakeway. 620 is crazy bad. I live a mile from the high school but it takes 30 mins to drive it in the morning.
And let me guess - it's too dangerous to ride a bike because 1/4mile of it is cars going 65mph.

What a laughable environment we live in. So sad.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,081,136 times
Look around San Antonio. Better traffic/roads and prices.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,964,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
And let me guess - it's too dangerous to ride a bike because 1/4mile of it is cars going 65mph.

What a laughable environment we live in. So sad.
Perhaps she is dropping children off? I sure as heck wouldn't let my kids cycle there, no matter their age or how short the distance.

Perhaps she's dropping them off and heading to her work elsewhere? Perhaps she has a professional job that requires her not to be a sweaty mess upon arrival in the hot months and there are no facilities to clean up even if she wished to ride? Perhaps she or her passengers are disabled or otherwise unable to ride a bike?

Not everyone has the kind of life that enables them to ride a bike. You don't know anyone's reasons for driving. Stop with the uninformed judgement.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,807,323 times
^ Yes, or carrying band instruments, heavy backpack full of binders, textbooks, etc, plus drill team/dance bag full of day uniforms, dance wear/practice clothes, shoes, clothes, hair dryers, toiletries, etc. for the school day. Some don't have experience with that. Usually involves a carpool, so there's that.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:58 AM

320 posts, read 488,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post

We actually thought about Georgetown since we occasionally drive up there and it does seem much more quiet and suited to our lifestyles. San Antonio I've also heard a lot of good about, and my wife was there years ago (the river walk thing) and loved the area.

All and all, we're not particularly attached to Texas, but we are sick of moving and there is a lot we like about Texas in general. Really it's mostly the roads, traffic, commutes, and busyness that really bums us out about currently living in North Austin/Round Rock. The cost of homes here is way to high for our liking as well, especially since we both grew up in Northern states where you can get beautiful and big homes for very reasonable prices. They are the two things we most would want to change.

Some other people asked about commute and we both would ideally like shorter commutes, within 15 minutes. We both work in arts/design currently, but I'm actually in transition to accounting/business management, and she is looking to get into teaching/education. Lastly, being near Austin is not really a big deal for us, we hardly go downtown anyway, and we aren't very big live music fans. Most of the times it's so darn hard to commute down to Austin we just forget about it and stay home! :P
You should take a look at Raleigh, NC. The downtown has a great vibe, although not a bustling as Austin, but has nice museums and cultural arts scene. Lots of good restaurants. Housing is very affordable (not downtown) but Cary, town next door, is nice and affordable. We lived there for 4 years before moving here and miss a lot of things about it. Schools are very good. More of an East Coast feel. Too conservative for us and a slower pace of life, so we prefer here for those reasons. Good job market too in that region. If you don't mind hot humid summers, overall, the weather is ok. No traffic! Easy drive to beach, mountains, DC.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,936,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post

I would say Georgetown or Northwest of Georgetown, as long as you don't have to work in Austin. Of course in 10 years it will be the same.

I lived in Round Rock off 620 and Oconner for 11 years, and just recently moved away, back northeast. What used to be a drive through the country 15 years ago, is now so hectic I started to hate it. Glad I moved. The people are great, the HEB is great.... heck even the amenities and convenience of things is great......but the traffic, and sheer amount of crap going in there with poor planning is awful.

I visited after being away a year, and even in that short time it looked like 620 was turning into a highway or something. Going to the movies was like shopping at Christmas. Aren't suburbs supposed to be a little sleepy

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,163,023 times
I only drive on 620 once or twice a year -- and every time I am just stunned! I don't know how people stand it. One of the best benefits to living central is not having to sit and sit at those long lights for multiple cycles in suburbia where so many people are dumped onto a feeder road all at once (I see this at Parmer, at Stassney, 620). Mind-numbing.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,628,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I would say Georgetown or Northwest of Georgetown, as long as you don't have to work in Austin. Of course in 10 years it will be the same.

I lived in Round Rock off 620 and Oconner for 11 years, and just recently moved away, back northeast. What used to be a drive through the country 15 years ago, is now so hectic I started to hate it. Glad I moved. The people are great, the HEB is great.... heck even the amenities and convenience of things is great......but the traffic, and sheer amount of crap going in there with poor planning is awful.

I visited after being away a year, and even in that short time it looked like 620 was turning into a highway or something. Going to the movies was like shopping at Christmas. Aren't suburbs supposed to be a little sleepy
The widening of 620 around there and the eventual extension of O'Connor to TX45 are just a couple of drops in the bucket compared to the 'improvements' to follow at the Chisholm Trail/620/IH 35 get-together I'll need another way to get to Curly's Carolina BBQ in Round Rock!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin