Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM

12,985 posts, read 13,452,218 times

Advertisements

Yes, part of 620 (Wyoming Springs to Cornerwood) will be "fixed" by this Fall, but then next year from Wyoming Springs to I-35 the expansion & bridge over the railroad crossing will be another 2 years of mess.

But at least Wilco is doing something about the congestion.

However, it should be pointed out that I-35 has been constantly under reconstruction since it was first built in 1957-60 and the traffic has pretty much sucked all that time. I've been here 55 years and can attest to that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,936,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The widening of 620 around there and the eventual extension of O'Connor to TX45 are just a couple of drops in the bucket compared to the 'improvements' to follow at the Chisholm Trail/620/IH 35 get-together I'll need another way to get to Curly's Carolina BBQ in Round Rock!!!
Not Chisolm Trail! I used to sneak back through that way a lot. Another one I noticed they are messing up is Hairy Man road (or Brushy Creek or whatever its called). When will that be a main through-fare?

Progress

Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,507,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I would say Georgetown or Northwest of Georgetown, as long as you don't have to work in Austin. Of course in 10 years it will be the same.

I lived in Round Rock off 620 and Oconner for 11 years, and just recently moved away, back northeast. What used to be a drive through the country 15 years ago, is now so hectic I started to hate it. Glad I moved. The people are great, the HEB is great.... heck even the amenities and convenience of things is great......but the traffic, and sheer amount of crap going in there with poor planning is awful.

I visited after being away a year, and even in that short time it looked like 620 was turning into a highway or something. Going to the movies was like shopping at Christmas. Aren't suburbs supposed to be a little sleepy
I actually live in that same area, and I totally agree with everything you said! I don't know what the hell they are doing to 620... they are widening it in the middle part, but keeping it narrow at the ends near the highways.... Doesn't this make everything worse? Allowing traffic to build up at the junctions quicker? Who needs a wider road in the middle of it?

I also grew up in the Northeast and have been thinking of moving back that way, would love to have a short drive to the east coast, and would be nice to be closer to my family in Pennsylvania again. Maryland and North Carolina are two states on my radar if we move out of Texas.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,936,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I actually live in that same area, and I totally agree with everything you said! I don't know what the hell they are doing to 620... they are widening it in the middle part, but keeping it narrow at the ends near the highways.... Doesn't this make everything worse? Allowing traffic to build up at the junctions quicker? Who needs a wider road in the middle of it?

I also grew up in the Northeast and have been thinking of moving back that way, would love to have a short drive to the east coast, and would be nice to be closer to my family in Pennsylvania again. Maryland and North Carolina are two states on my radar if we move out of Texas.
That's me..... Austin back to NW PA.

I also lived in MD for awhile. North Carolina is a state on my radar too at some point.

I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this, but when I moved to Round Rock in about 1999, there was literally nothing in that area of 620 but the entrance(s) to Cat Hollow/Brushy Creek and the HEB which just opened. And cow pastures. Ahhhh the memories.....

Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 PM

12 posts, read 48,476 times
I would also second the person who suggested Raleigh. I would also consider Durham its sister city next door. I lived in Carrboro, a small town near Chapel Hill. Not much traffic, great housing affordability and good job market. After a year, I was really used to the humid summers and didn't mind them at all. I enjoyed being able to go to Asheville and be in the mountains or go out to the coast and be at the beach. I am living in Austin because of a career move, but I would seriously enjoy returning to the Raleigh-Durham area if the opportunity arose.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,531,286 times
I got this list from another forum-maybe it can help.

NY -- Ithaca, maybe Utica. Hudson Valley is so pretty, but too many design bloggers have encouraged the Brooklynites to go there.
Iowa -- Iowa City, Ames, maybe Des Moines
Michigan -- Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids (we lived in MI, and my family used to go up north a lot, but Lake MI on the MI side is great, and there are actually a lot of streams and parks in mid MI. But SE MI is a hard, grey winter. Maybe Kalamazoo.
NC -- Raleigh-Durman, Wilmington, Charlotte, Greensboro,Winston-Salem. I have had family in Asheville for 30 years and would go there if I could, end of story, but we couldn't get employment for husband there, ever.
TN -- your choices, plus Clarksville, Nashville (although it's pretty huge now)
WV -- Morgantown
AZ -- Flagstaff, Tucson
CO -- Fort Collins, Colorado Springs
VA -- Charlottesville
SC -- Charleston, Greenville
WI -- Madison
NH -- Fond of the state but not sure where. Like Nashua area, but that's kinda rural. Portsmouth. Love the entire shore area because went to school near there for a couple years (Exeter, NH).
AK -- Little Rock,Fayetteville
PA -- Philly blew up, but you used to be able to find places in center city, univ area, and you could walk a lot, and then drive outside the city to a lot of trails and historical places. Maybe college and univ towns are worth a look in PA. Maybe Lancaster?
GA -- Athens, Savannah, Columbus
Miss -- Biloxi
OH -- Columbus
Bozeman, MT
MA -- Northampton, Amherst (Pioneer Valley); western part of state.
VT -- Brattleboro, Burlington
IN -- Bloomington
KS -- Lawrence
AL -- Huntsville
ME -- Portland
MD -- Annapolis (although kind of boring).Ellicott City. Still love Baltimore (Hampden n'hood). Maybe Frederick?
KY -- Lexington, Bowling Green
RI -- Providence

Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,531,286 times
What about Georgetown?
Fredericksburg (expensive)

Old 05-01-2014, 02:45 PM

431 posts, read 476,032 times
TRY Kyle south of austin just of IN35 and will have train service to austin when lone star rail opens in a few years
house prices in the $ 100 .000 to $ 200 000 range
hospital , community college , HEB . performing arts center .

Old 05-01-2014, 05:02 PM

123 posts, read 301,803 times
I just relocated here from NJ. My sister was offered a job and I came with her. I needed a change from NJ. The traffic is.........WOW......JUST WOW! I have lived in a least 7 states and this traffic is in the top 2 for the worst. Drivers act like the brakes in their cars don't work. Seems like everytime I go somewhere I am stuck in traffic of some sort. We haven't officially found a place yet. We wanted to do the extended stay thing for a month to look around at the diffrent areas where we would like to stay. So far Round Rock seems like the best fit. However there is still tons of traffic. Any other nice places around Austin to consider with less traffic and safe areas?
I also have to add that I absolutly love HEB. I really do. Best grocery store hands down! The Best!

Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,069,755 times
I agree with one of the earlier posters that if you're looking for little traffic and a slow pace then Smithville would definitely be the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin