Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
The bottom line is that if they can't keep up they are simply either inefficient or unwilling to meet the demand.

If Franklin's is turning people like me away, they are probably lazy screw ups and in the end, I can do better.
Unbelievable. Suffice it to say, you are wrong on all counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Unbelievable. Suffice it to say, you are wrong on all counts.
Ok, then. Let's assume for arguments sake that I am wrong. Since you seem to feel so strongly about this, what's your take?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
That's a good question but it's not one that I am really qualified to answer as I am not in the restaurant biz. The easy answer would be "just make more" but who knows if that's even an option. The bottom line is that if they can't keep up they are simply either inefficient or unwilling to meet the demand.

On the other hand, there's a growing meat shortage. World wide drought has hindered our ability to grow enough food to raise cattle where ranchers can be profitable, so they slaughter their animals before they are fully grown or simply cut the size of the herds to save money.

My solution is to head to the butcher and buy some primal cuts of beef, fire up the smoker and make my own. If Franklin's is turning people like me away, they are probably lazy screw ups and in the end, I can do better. It may take me forever but I'll have a great time experimenting and trying to attain the perfect smoked brisket.
My son, the 'cue afficionado, and you would likely get along great. He likes Franklin's (see, 'cue is subjective even within families - I happen to think that it is about in the middle of the pack, and the most interesting thing about them is their sauce and you know what THAT means in the land of BBQ), but he now makes his own and has succeeded in making the absolute best brisket I've ever had (and even though I'm his Mom, there are some things that are sacred and that even maternal doting won't overcome, and 'cue is one of them - if it wasn't the best, I wouldn't cut him any slack). He's now experimenting with making his own sausage to go with the brisket and I can't wait to try it!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Ok, then. Let's assume for arguments sake that I am wrong. Since you seem to feel so strongly about this, what's your take?
It is incredibly hard to cook 100 briskets at a consistent level of quality. it is *easy* to cook one. It is even harder to cook 1000.

Once you expand, the original "chef" is not able to assure the appropriate level of quality. All the best restaurants are smaller so the person with the original vision can maintain the quality.

That being said I dont think franklins is worth the wait. My one brisket is as good or better than franklin's. But their hundred briskets would be *much* better than my 100 briskets.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
#1. They aren't "inefficient", or "lazy screw ups". There is no one in this town that works harder than Aaron or Benji. Frankly, your assumption is insulting to the hours that are put in at Franklin. They start around 2 AM, and work for at least twelve hours. Six days a week.

#2. It is about quality. There is a finite space for the smokers to go along with the finite amount of time to cook it to the consistent standards that have earned them their national acclaim. Add to it the the final quality control - I've never been there when it wasn't Aaron himself slicing it to order. Because he is going to have the say on what has his name on it. He could have four cashiers like Rudy's - but he won't. He could open a place in Dallas - but he won't. He has a nice deal, that allows him to make a good living, doing what he loves. He's the same guy he was in the trailer - all this fame hasn't gone to his head an iota. But this is it. He's not responsible for the lines. When it is gone for the day, it's gone. Whether anybody like it, or not.

Which in this day and age, is kind of refreshing.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM

You know what I find refreshing? When I go to Schmidt Family BBQ and I walk up to the counter, they take my order and money and hand me a delicious bag of brisket and burnt ends. Then they thank me for my business and tell me how glad they are to have me as a customer.

Granted, it's a bigger business and I have had a brisket or 2 that was "off." When that happens, I just return it and they give me a replacement meal with a smile.

I'm sure Aaron is a very nice fellow and I wish him continued success (I'll have to take your word for it as I will never have the pleasure of meeting him personally) but if you say he's not a "lazy screw up" then I'll just have to take your word for it. He's a lousy business man, however.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It is incredibly hard to cook 100 briskets at a consistent level of quality. it is *easy* to cook one. It is even harder to cook 1000.

Once you expand, the original "chef" is not able to assure the appropriate level of quality. All the best restaurants are smaller so the person with the original vision can maintain the quality.

That being said I dont think franklins is worth the wait. My one brisket is as good or better than franklin's. But their hundred briskets would be *much* better than my 100 briskets.
That's good info, thank you for taking the time to educate me.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Make that a few MONTHS ahead. Currently full for May and June, not taking orders for July due to expected renovations, too early for August to December.
Yikes! Good to know.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
Someone above mentioned Yelp for restaurant reviews and it reminded me of when I visited Austin recently (I'm from Houston). On Yelp that weekend, I was amazed how many places got 4.5 stars out of 5. Over time (not just in Austin), I've had to take larger and larger grains of salt with the reviews there.

One place we wound up going to was La Condesa, downtown for lunch. "Interior Mexican" food? My friend from Mexico was not impressed, nor was I. Didn't seem like there were many choices for lunch; he had the Cubanita sandwich and I had the Hamburgesa. They were disappointing, but OK. We checked out a few other places, but wound up eating dinner at Fonda San Miguel. We enjoyed it; he had the Cochinita Pibil and i had the Ancho Relleno. They were good, but I wish they were as good as the best one could get in Mexico. The place still seems rather "gringo". Coming from Houston, I haven't seen a whole lot of places that do dishes like that better (Pico's and Merida are 2 that do OK, tho').

As for BBQ, I think Salt Lick and County Line used to be better. Like so many places, once they become successful and other people take over, its hard for them to stay as good as they were before. Chuy's is another example of that. I will continue to try some of the newer places, but I also don't wanna wait 2 hours to try a place and find out its way over-hyped.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
You know what I find refreshing? When I go to Schmidt Family BBQ and I walk up to the counter, they take my order and money and hand me a delicious bag of brisket and burnt ends. Then they thank me for my business and tell me how glad they are to have me as a customer.
There's a reason there isn't a line at Schmidt's, and there is at Franklin's. And it isn't because, in your opinion, Aaron is a lousy businessman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin