Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM

319 posts, read 611,057 times

Advertisements

Anyone here remodel recently? We've got a home that's only a few years old. The cabinets are dark and busy. I think they're custom, framed, and made of plywood from Kent Moore. We'd like to get an idea of what it costs to modernize the kitchen - changing the doors and island to white and shaker. Cabinets are floor to ceiling with 10 foot ceilings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 04:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times
Lots o' cabinets! Sounds like one of those jobs that a homeowner might tackle and spend a couple hundred bucks on...and be happy with the relatively inexpensive results. The other end of the spectrum is having it done professionally and remembering the two THOUSAND dollars you spent was still less than half of the cost of replacing the cabs

DW(an ASID certified interior designer) can't get a good enough deal for us to pull the trigger on refinishing. We just replaced four solid doors with glass inlays(in the original frames)...we'll see how long that keeps her happy

Wouldn't want to hazard a guess without seeing original finish, style, number of doors, etc. It's the kind of thing that doesn't really lend itself to a 'per linear foot' sort of estimate.

If I knew a relatively inexpensive way to get good results, I'm afraid DW would have me doing it!

Of course, THEN she would want to tear out the granite!!!

Good luck! I'll forward any current contact info that DW might have; but I haven't heard her rave about any refinishing job in the last couple of years.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,904,229 times
I think it might be well over $2K to have a professional do it. Back when we were thinking about doing something like that, we were quoted $5K or more (lots of cabinets, though). The prep work is extremely time consuming to do correctly, and if you are changing color, you have to think about the insides too.

But as 10scoachrick mentioned, you could replace the doors -- buy new cabinet doors in the finish you like, then paint the frames/inside (if you want) to match. But the doors may be custom sizes.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:30 PM

319 posts, read 611,057 times
Yes I would suspect so. They look pretty modular, with the inside and outside built of two different pieces. The insides look like they're covered in a laminate that's birch colored. That's fine so I don't think we need to change that. We have lots of pieces as well. I count 34 doors/drawer fronts including the butler's pantry and then the surround on the island. I know at least some of the pieces are custom sizes. I'd love to convert them to European style frameless slab cabinets but I suspect that's not possible at this point without spending a fortune. I'll settle for white and shaker.

Do you know of any cabinet makers who could offer an in home quote? Who did you use?

Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Do you know of any cabinet makers who could offer an in home quote? Who did you use?
That's the other challenge...the production guys are swamped with a gazillion homes under construction and the custom guys are just as busy doing custom work. A one-off re-do would be down the list, I'm afraid. Oddly, it sounds like a woodworker could be as helpful as an actual cabinet guy since your boxes are already installed. I could see a challenge to make the frameless doors like you mention getting a woodworking pro pretty excited! Just on the off-chance they might know someone, you could check with WoodCraft on 183 near Burnett. They have some beautiful work done in their shop and may know of an artisan who could help.

I'm sometimes glad we have a tiny kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin