Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM

36 posts, read 60,454 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I'm also a pharmacist planning on relocating my family to the Austin area. I'm taking the NAPLEX this coming Friday in hopes of becoming licensed in Texas. After the NAPLEX, the MPJE is next and I'm officially licensed!

I've done a ton of research here and on other boards/forums/websites and determined that three high schools (which typically have great feeder programs) fit our needs: Westwood High School, Westlake High School, and Vandegrift High School. Cedar Park High School can also be thrown into the mix but a little far from downtown. Bowie is also on the way up. With dual pharmacist incomes your family should be able to buy a nice house in any of the above locations.

The job market is tight. UT has a school of pharmacy and the available jobs ares limited. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:33 AM

21 posts, read 25,542 times
I found out th at Westlake academy is the best in Texas. But I am not sure if we can afford a house in their district. And what so you think is more efficient? Living in a moderately priced house and send our kids into private schools? Or live in a high priced house and send the kids into west lake academy?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Does any one here knows about Austin French for kids school?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I have only heard mixed things about Austin French.

And there is no such thing as "Westlake Academy" you are referring to the public schools in the Eanes Independent School District with largely coincides with the town of West Lake Hills.

You can rent an apartment in EISD, single family homes start at about $550-650K there. There are good schools in Austin ISD too (particularly homes that track to Bowie HS, Anderson HS, and McCallum HS, Austin HS too but the homes are comparably priced to Westlake).

I would worry first about getting a job. From what I understand there is a glut of pharmacists in Austin and consequently wages are lower and working conditions not as good. You need to know where you are working first.

Private schools in Austin are generally much more affordable than in other parts of the country. Many offer financial aid as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I have only heard mixed things about Austin French.

And there is no such thing as "Westlake Academy" you are referring to the public schools in the Eanes Independent School District with largely coincides with the town of West Lake Hills.

You can rent an apartment in EISD, single family homes start at about $550-650K there. There are good schools in Austin ISD too (particularly homes that track to Bowie HS, Anderson HS, and McCallum HS, Austin HS too but the homes are comparably priced to Westlake).

I would worry first about getting a job. From what I understand there is a glut of pharmacists in Austin and consequently wages are lower and working conditions not as good. You need to know where you are working first.

Private schools in Austin are generally much more affordable than in other parts of the country. Many offer financial aid as well.
Private school financial aid is unlikely to be available at the two pharmacist income level.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Not even with one pharmacist per house hold. It's ridiculous because we really can't afford it we can pay up to 8000 in school per year. I am not licensed yet. So only my husband is working now.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 AM

What did you hear about austin French for kids?
I think there is school which name is Westlake academy in west lake that they teach IB curriculum. It's a charter school.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyza2zo3 View Post
What did you hear about austin French for kids?
I think there is school which name is Westlake academy in west lake that they teach IB curriculum. It's a charter school.
Westlake Academy is NOT in Austin. It's in the Fort Worth area.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Westlake Academy is NOT in Austin. It's in the Fort Worth area.
Fort Worth may actually be a better fit. Lower COL and more job options - particularly given how narrow the field is and the presence of UT, as pointed out by a prior poster.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 PM

How much the range of houses price in fort worth area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin