Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in buying a business in the Austin area. We each make more than enough for us to live comfortably on one income here and part of the plan moving here was to have a scenario where one of us would keep their job (i.e for regular income, benefits, insurance etc) and we buy an existing business with consistent cashflow where the other person works on that full time till such a time it grows enough that it makes sense for both of us to work there together.
We are not looking for a start-up and neither does it have to be sexy just solid honest business that we can grow and employ others as well.
We just started doing more research but was wondering if CD'ers can recommend resources that we can tap into for a variety of things including finding such businesses for sale in the area, meeting like-minded folks who we could learn from and possibly for mentorship, resources that we can learn how to effectively evaluate these businesses, depending on the cost - best financing options etc
Appreciate any pointers
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM

110 posts, read 241,733 times
It sounds like a franchise or turnkey type business might suit you well.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Neighbor, we could sure use a family-style BBQ restaurant here in Avery Ranch!!! I would even help!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
My husband and I are interested in buying a business in the Austin area. We each make more than enough for us to live comfortably on one income here and part of the plan moving here was to have a scenario where one of us would keep their job (i.e for regular income, benefits, insurance etc) and we buy an existing business with consistent cashflow where the other person works on that full time till such a time it grows enough that it makes sense for both of us to work there together.
We are not looking for a start-up and neither does it have to be sexy just solid honest business that we can grow and employ others as well.
We just started doing more research but was wondering if CD'ers can recommend resources that we can tap into for a variety of things including finding such businesses for sale in the area, meeting like-minded folks who we could learn from and possibly for mentorship, resources that we can learn how to effectively evaluate these businesses, depending on the cost - best financing options etc
Appreciate any pointers
Thanks
There are 2 main ways:

1) Look for businesses for sale. They are advertised on sites such as:
Austin, TX Businesses For Sale - BizBuySell.com
Austin Texas Businesses For Sale | Buy Austin Texas Businesses at BizQuest

2) Decide what type of business you want to own and approach existing owners.

Advertised business listings are usually represented by a Business Broker, which is sort of like a Listing Realtor but for businesses, and they don't have to have a real estate license unless selling real estate with the business. You can google "Austin Business Broker" and find a ton of them. Most have their own listings on their own websites.

Unfortunately there isn't the equivalent of a "buyer's agent" for business purchases. A Business Broker can represent you, and there may be some who will conduct some groundwork to locate a specific business if you want to buy, for example, a BBQ restaurant or an oil change business, but you'll generally be working on your own to find something otherwise.

Finally, most franchise owners eventually come to resent the high fees. Franchises are good for corporate mid-manager types who fear risk, need policies and procedures, and are not good at figuring things out or starting from scratch on their own. Franchises are also easier to finance since there is a system in place and metrics that can validate the model. It can be the right solution for some, but many get into it and realize that the royalties overhead eat their lunch, and they could/should have figured out how to start up on their own.

The best business opportunities are mom and pop businesses with unrealized growth potential. A place that's been loping along for years as the unambitious owners age and burn out. New blood can really add value to that kind of business.

Anyway, that's a quick overview of what I know. I've bought and sold businesses and started from scratch twice. Starting from scratch is the most fulfilling but the riskiest. But if you have an income to fall back on, the risk is reduced.

Steve

Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM

110 posts, read 241,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
There are 2 main ways:

Advertised business listings are usually represented by a Business Broker, which is sort of like a Listing Realtor but for businesses, and they don't have to have a real estate license unless selling real estate with the business. You can google "Austin Business Broker" and find a ton of them. Most have their own listings on their own websites.

Unfortunately there isn't the equivalent of a "buyer's agent" for business purchases. A Business Broker can represent you, and there may be some who will conduct some groundwork to locate a specific business if you want to buy, for example, a BBQ restaurant or an oil change business, but you'll generally be working on your own to find something otherwise.

Finally, most franchise owners eventually come to resent the high fees. Franchises are good for corporate mid-manager types who fear risk, need policies and procedures, and are not good at figuring things out or starting from scratch on their own. Franchises are also easier to finance since there is a system in place and metrics that can validate the model. It can be the right solution for some, but many get into it and realize that the royalties overhead eat their lunch, and they could/should have figured out how to start up on their own.

The best business opportunities are mom and pop businesses with unrealized growth potential. A place that's been loping along for years as the unambitious owners age and burn out. New blood can really add value to that kind of business.

Anyway, that's a quick overview of what I know. I've bought and sold businesses and started from scratch twice. Starting from scratch is the most fulfilling but the riskiest. But if you have an income to fall back on, the risk is reduced.

Steve
Very astute advice here. Always enjoy your posts, Steve.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
we have very few good italian restaurants here. The best opportunities are going to be on the outskirts in the areas that are rapidly growing but dont have full retail amenities yet (like leander at 1431 and 183)

Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Neighbor, we could sure use a family-style BBQ restaurant here in Avery Ranch!!! I would even help!
Hi Coach Rick... I too am finding that I like bbq ..lol.. But not sure we know anything about BBQ but will look into that.. Maybe we can grab a coffee to talk some more..:-)

Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
There are 2 main ways:

Steve
Steve

Thanks a bunch!!!!! agree that an ideal business for us would be an existing business with an unrealized growth potential that we could work towards optimizing. I have checked out the website with businesses for sale that you shared and lots of ideas. Do you think it makes any difference the kind of business it is i.e I've had suggestions about selecting a business in a sector you are passionate about our already know something about e.g., you are passionate about food or a great cook so you choose a restaurant? My own opinion varies a bit. I think that one would be really limited that way as you can only know about so much. For instance I would happily own and run a laundromat or oil change place if good business even though I don't know anything about those industries neither am I passionate about laundry or oil change :-) I think i'm passionate about running a business and think I'm pretty good at it. What are your thoughts if you don't mind sharing them.

Also, any thoughts on what should be our next step. Do you know of any of these brokers that you mentioned we can talk to?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
we have very few good italian restaurants here. The best opportunities are going to be on the outskirts in the areas that are rapidly growing but dont have full retail amenities yet (like leander at 1431 and 183)

Austin 97 - thanks for the suggestion

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

I'm not sure that isn't what the market wants. Maybe we have the Italian restaurants that the market demands? I'd watch The Big Night before I thought about opening one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin