Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,768,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And my point was and still is..who cares? Why should I care? I wasn't responding to him anyway. I was answering another post. And I know about much of downtown, more than you think I do. But thanks for the attempt at snark with your heb and multiplex comment, because I wasn't comparing downtown austin to the suburbs, I was comparing it to my old neighborhood in manhattan. If I'm gonna do the downtown thing, I'd do it right. Btw, there are not plenty of movie theaters at all. Please list "plenty". As for grocery stores, there's a royal blue or two, a cvs that doubles up as a grocery store, and the whole paycheck. That's your plenty of grocery stores. Really..
Movie Theaters in or very close to downtown: 2 Alamo Drafthouses, 1 Violet Crown, 1 Paramount Theater, 1 Hideout Theater, I IMAX theater. The diversity of film offerings in or next to 78701 compares favorably to any other zip code in town.

Grocerie stores: 1 Flag Ship Whole Foods (one of the best groceries stores anywhere on in America), 3 Royal Blue, 1 Trader Joes under construction and open by end of year and 1 HEB planned for Plaza Saltillo and 1 kick ass Farmers Market. Considering the population a few years ago was mostly the incarcerated, that's pretty amazing. Again, in a few years it will compare favorably to any area in Austin in both breadth and depth of offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:32 AM

319 posts, read 610,895 times
I sympathize with OP. I hate suburbs but for families, that's really the only choice. Downtown is nice but some people also just like hive living, as another put it here. Rumor has it that there's a plan to build a mini high rise (20-30 stories) in Northwest Hills in a few years. That might be an option. But you'll have to compete with me for it!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:57 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,745,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And my point was and still is..who cares? Why should I care? I wasn't responding to him anyway. I was answering another post. And I know about much of downtown, more than you think I do. But thanks for the attempt at snark with your heb and multiplex comment, because I wasn't comparing downtown austin to the suburbs, I was comparing it to my old neighborhood in manhattan. If I'm gonna do the downtown thing, I'd do it right. Btw, there are not plenty of movie theaters at all. Please list "plenty". As for grocery stores, there's a royal blue or two, a cvs that doubles up as a grocery store, and the whole paycheck. That's your plenty of grocery stores. Really..
You never mentioned Manhattan in any of your posts, but nice attempt at a save. If you want to bring that borough into consideration and compare it to Austin we will then have to start with price per square foot, or in other words not a fair comparison at all. A more fair comparison would be the downtowns of other US cities that are commensurate to Austin's overall size.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,512,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
You never mentioned Manhattan in any of your posts, but nice attempt at a save. If you want to bring that borough into consideration and compare it to Austin we will then have to start with price per square foot, or in other words not a fair comparison at all. A more fair comparison would be the downtowns of other US cities that are commensurate to Austin's overall size.
I'm not attempting to "save" anything. This convo is no sweat off my back. I come from New York and whether it's a fair comparison or not, it's my barometer for a downtown, not Cleveland. In addition, I can feel however i want to feel about downtown just like you and the other one can feel however you want about where I live. I was agreeing with another poster. If you don't care for what I said, then what can I say.

Last edited by riaelise; 10-06-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,213,290 times
I just searched homes for sale in 78701 on realtor.com. Kinda interesting. Looked at perhaps 10 of 65 listings. The floor seems to be about $350K but there are just a few. And these are 1BR/1BA units. Somewhere between $350/sq. ft. to more than a staggering $750/sq. ft.

Just about anyone buying in 78701 will have significant income or accumulated assets. No young families unless they are wealthy.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Obviously people value it highly. They pay a huge premium to be their. Or to put it another way, to live in Pflugerville or some other sprawlburb requires a deep discount to get them there.
I would pay a huge premium to NOT live downtown. I love my suburbs, my freedom, my space, my views, my shops, my restaurants, my parks, my lakes, my golf courses, etc.

So I get a double bonus. I get to live in the suburbs AND get a lower cost of living. BTW, 98% of us CHOOSE to not live downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin