Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:15 PM

416 posts, read 588,644 times

Advertisements

Rick, you're killing me - "will NOT cause the vehicle in the adjacent lane to vaporize...". LOLOL

The traffic engineering/control in Texas is the one thing I really don't like here. I'm a defensive driver anyway (used to drive emergency vehicles so am extra aware), but I don't get the every-direction-gets-their-turn so that I wind up waiting something like 8 minutes at an intersection before it's "my turn." However, since there's nothing I can do about it, I go with the flow. It's not worth my life, my family's life, or wrecking my car.

Even with my griping, I'll take Texas crazy over Los Angeles driving any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 06:30 PM

389 posts, read 422,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
And while we're at it...In Texas, it is NOT legal to use the center/dual turning lane(bound by yellow stripes on either side) as your personal acceleration lane(Laws of physics...someone might be doing that from the other direction OR sitting still to make a turn as is proper). If you need to pull out into that dual turning lane, stop(or nearly stop) until you can safely enter the flow of traffic. That DOESN'T mean you can use that dual direction lane as your own personal extra lane all the way home!

OH, and by the bye, driving along matching the speed of the vehicle in the lane next to you almost ASSURES you will never get to pull over...and...no matter HOW LONG that turn signal is blinking, it will NOT cause the vehicle in the adjacent lane to vaporize so you don't even have to turn your head to look before merging.

Adding to that, the shoulder is not a driving lane either!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:12 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
It is however acceptable to pull onto the right shoulder to slow down to make a right turn. It's the reason shoulders are wider on the right side of the road. Many transplants don't realize it's actually designed that way.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
It is however acceptable to pull onto the right shoulder to slow down to make a right turn. It's the reason shoulders are wider on the right side of the road. Many transplants don't realize it's actually designed that way.
It is, however, acceptable, out in the country, if you can see far enough ahead, to pull over onto the shoulder to let someone by. (This from the days when pickups habitually drove below the speed limit because they were checking out their land alongside the road, or because they just didn't need to go nowhere fast and were enjoying the journey.) The proper procedure in that case is for the car that was allowed to pass to wave to the driver who was courteous enough to let them pass, acknowledging that it was not their right but a courtesy extended to them to be allowed to pass easily, and for the driver of the car that pulled over to wave back.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:56 PM

389 posts, read 422,333 times
I'm talking about driving on the shoulder for 1/2 mile because you don't think you need to wait in the line of traffic at the light.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Out in Fredericksburg/Stonewall the residents are still so kind about doing just what THL said - pulling to the shoulder to let you pass them. Interestingly, in Mexico, many truck drivers will turn on their left turn signal to let the driver behind them know that it is safe to pass. Smart friendly driving.

My traffic whine contribution here is cars piling up in a single line at a stop sign, whereas if they only pulled a wee bit to the left of their lane, people intending to turn right at the stop sign can slowly cruise up to the sign and turn. It really does cut down tremendously on wait time at a stop sign. This only works on streets wide enough, and without cars parked along the curb, of course ... but wow does it make for an efficient intersection. It's not really much of a custom here from what I've seen, though.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
I'm talking about driving on the shoulder for 1/2 mile because you don't think you need to wait in the line of traffic at the light.
Absolutely agree, this should not be done.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:49 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
That's not exclusive to Austin but very annoying nonetheless.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Coming home from Guadalupe just now, I saw a vehicle almost get t-boned by a car running a red light, then immediately after that, several pedestrians crossing illegally, one waiting until traffic had started up from a red light before he sauntered out in their path. People are absolutely making their own traffic rules in Austin these days and there is almost never a police car in sight. Takes longer to get anywhere now because you have to allow for the new inevitable.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
I will also take this opportunity to point out that you can also legally turn left on RED, just like you can turn right on Red...so long as it is a one way street turning onto a one way street. Very few people seem to know this, and I always end up sitting behind them waiting to turn left unnecessarily.
That is true in some states but not in others. I don't do it when not in my home state because I don't know which law they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin