Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Stiles-Switch, in the N Lamar/Airport Drive area. Hmmm. How to say it? It would just be an ordinary overlit college beer and sports bar, with flat screen TVs everywhere, except that the Pit Master was with Muellers out in Taylor for 35 years. So the BBQ is pretty good, but the place really has no soul.
The building that Stiles Switch is in actually has plenty of the soul of old Austin. It was featured in the film Dazed and Confused as a part of the violet crown center.

I'll also say this about Stiles Switch, they're pretty consistent. Not as consistent as Franklin, but more so than John Mueller's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I went to Terry's shortly after they opened. Good, but not good enough to make the top rung of the local ladder - super convenient place though, since they do have dedicated parking and a cafeteria style process. I someone says "want to go to Terry's for lunch" I'm not going to say no, but I don't think I'd go out of my way for it.

The Black's Austin, I haven't tried - heard they don't cook on site though? Major negative if that's the case, but I'll withhold judgement until I've sampled it.
Expensive meat at Black's on Barton Springs. Sides are generic stuff from a can.

Don

Old 12-14-2014, 12:18 PM

319 posts, read 737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Yes, really. It's a big part of what creates his consistency, which is what separates him from the rest of the top tier joints.

You can demean and belittle the people who enjoy hanging out with friends while waiting for lunch as an "event" once in a while, but I won't. Guess I don't understand the overwhelming desire to control other's behavior the same way you do.
I've gone out of my way several times to mention that it's their business and they should do whatever they want. And it's certainly the right of anyone to go wait 3 hours in line. I am simply voicing opinions. I think that's what this site is all about. And I'm also here to tell you that there is another side to this equation. The average working person does not have hours to go wait in line. I personally know several hard-working Austin citizens that will never get to try franklins. And I think there's something messed up about that. I have been cooking and eating brisket my whole life. If he wanted to expand his operation he could. Easily. Without sacrificing quality. A friend of mine that still serves in the military was doing his reserve duty here about a month ago. He wanted to treat the soldiers in his command to barbecue. And then realize that they would not be able to have it there. Because they don't get three hours to stand in line.Maybe franklins would consider doing a military only day so that our men and women serving could get to try his barbecue? Maybe a teacher's day? Maybe a police officer and firefighter day? Almost all of these individuals cannot experience the barbecue. It's a free country and franklins can do whatever they want. And I am not intending to belittle anyone. If I won the lottery tomorrow, maybe I would go stand in line for three hours. I'm just voicing an opinion that I find it very gimmicky the way that he is maintained the tiny nature of the operation, when clearly there is so much more demand.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:13 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
I've gone out of my way several times to mention that it's their business and they should do whatever they want. And it's certainly the right of anyone to go wait 3 hours in line. I am simply voicing opinions. I think that's what this site is all about. And I'm also here to tell you that there is another side to this equation. The average working person does not have hours to go wait in line. I personally know several hard-working Austin citizens that will never get to try franklins. And I think there's something messed up about that. I have been cooking and eating brisket my whole life. If he wanted to expand his operation he could. Easily. Without sacrificing quality. A friend of mine that still serves in the military was doing his reserve duty here about a month ago. He wanted to treat the soldiers in his command to barbecue. And then realize that they would not be able to have it there. Because they don't get three hours to stand in line.Maybe franklins would consider doing a military only day so that our men and women serving could get to try his barbecue? Maybe a teacher's day? Maybe a police officer and firefighter day? Almost all of these individuals cannot experience the barbecue. It's a free country and franklins can do whatever they want. And I am not intending to belittle anyone. If I won the lottery tomorrow, maybe I would go stand in line for three hours. I'm just voicing an opinion that I find it very gimmicky the way that he is maintained the tiny nature of the operation, when clearly there is so much more demand.
As others have repeatedly pointed out, you have the option of ordering in advance. Not a bad "gimmick".

Old 12-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Ordering in advance was new to me, I'm definitely going to pass that along...thanks

Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
If he wanted to expand his operation he could. Easily. Without sacrificing quality.
Not really. The Lockhart places are a perfect example of that. Their best days are behind them. What's the difference? They started getting put in magazines and word got out. More and more people started coming and then they decided to start cooking to meet the demand. The result is the inconsistent and often times mediocre char you get from Kreuz and Smitty's today. The sausages at those places are still tops, but everything else is downhill. A lot of the people there don't even know how to properly slice a brisket anymore! Once you start expanding it's never the same.

And it's not like the wait at Franklin's is only possible for people with a lot of money. I am almost certain that I make less than you and i've found the time to do it twice. Almost everybody has an off day. It's definitely not something you do on the regular, but it's not like average joes are being weeded out.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Not really. The Lockhart places are a perfect example of that. Their best days are behind them. What's the difference? They started getting put in magazines and word got out. More and more people started coming and then they decided to start cooking to meet the demand. The result is the inconsistent and often times mediocre char you get from Kreuz and Smitty's today. The sausages at those places are still tops, but everything else is downhill. A lot of the people there don't even know how to properly slice a brisket anymore! Once you start expanding it's never the same.

And it's not like the wait at Franklin's is only possible for people with a lot of money. I am almost certain that I make less than you and i've found the time to do it twice. Almost everybody has an off day. It's definitely not something you do on the regular, but it's not like average joes are being weeded out.
Well, we are way off topic now I suppose, but I submit to you that a minority of Franklins business is from locals and/or repeat business. Its mainly tourists and students now. Why? Because regardless of job or income, if someone does get a day off, they don't have 3 hours to stand in line for BBQ. I have no data to back this assertion, just an opinion I guess.

And sure, there are wrong ways to expand, and right ways to expand. I grew up in Helotes, and I remember going to Rudys when I was a little kid. Now Rudys is everywhere. Is it as good as Franklins? No. Is their moist brisket pretty good and consistent? I think so. This is the extreme other end of the spectrum. You just aren't going to convince me that Franklins couldn't add a pit or two, or a second location, with some good documented/real on job training, to grow the business a bit. Their call not to, of course. They prefer to keep the hype. Got it. Just saying, kind of sucks that those that live here cant readily enjoy it, and for me, there are so many other options that are almost as good... why wait in line?

ps., not sure why you are so certain I earn more than you, but whatever you earn, I assure you at one point I earned less.... loving the American dream

Old 12-20-2014, 11:32 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Last couple times I've been to John Mueller there hasn't been a line at all. Brisket is just as good as ever, but I guess La Barbeque and Franklin's have more staying power for some reason. The latter two are also closer to 35 and probably get more tourist business because of it.

A month ago there was a tour bus parked on westbound Cesar Chavez @ IH-35, and I mean for several minutes, while they waited for the tour group to re-board after getting their La Barbeque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin