Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,400 times

Advertisements

So we've all decided together: Austin is not a progressive town. Hipster does not equal progressive.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Ideally it would be an emphasis on quality of life and not just economic growth. Of course those things can go together, but not always.

Austin is legally constrained by the state in which it resides. For example, if it were up to me ever square inch of Travis County would have zoning, not just incorporated areas, but that is not even an option.

Plenty of things to criticize but I would have to move several states away for the same QOL, and all of those cities are either colder and/or have even higher costs of living.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
I fail to see how rejecting a trolley from a dead mall to UT makes Austin not "progressive"
"progressive" is anything you want it to be. All changes are progressive.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Just because you don't want to increase taxes and spending on public transportation doesn't mean a city isn't progressive, that has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard but then again this is City Data.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You mean like this? (This has been in the works for a while.)

Or this? (I was actually going to a free clinic, People's Community Clinic, in Austin right after I first came here back in 1969 - it was founded as a free clinic in 1970).

Or Capital Area Food Bank or any of these others?

Not that I consider Austin to be progressive in the way that the term is usually used these days (I agree that the meaning has changed a LOT since the 1960's/1970's and has been coopted by the Democratic Party, but then isn't every term coopted by one party or the other when it appears to be to their advantage?). And unions are not, not, NOT a Texas thing, with good reason (my own feelings on unions are that while they were a good and necessary thing originally, they've fallen prey to becoming that which they fought against). But most of what you mention has been going on in Austin for donkey's years (yes, I am older than dirt, thank you!). It's just gotten sort of lost under the recent glitz campaign.
I think he and I mean what's administered by the city government. I believe that clinic you used as an example us actually privately funded. Its a great non profit and other charities are helping of course. Their presence doesn't mean that Austin isn't progressive per se, but even conservative republicans are ok with charities and private non profits helping people.

Now you say it's not a Texas thing to provide comprehensive assurance programs at the local level but from what I've been reading Harris County in Houston is probably (and I could be wrong, don't hate me SCM lol) more progressive than travis county.

By the looks of it all Austin is looking very libertarian.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
I think the OP hits it pretty well on the head here ^ regarding the the Austin situation. The question becomes, why do people/media/groups still think Austin is a "progressive" city? Is it hype, wishful thinking, a goal, or just because that's the way it has always been described?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin