Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 09:09 AM

176 posts, read 263,664 times

Advertisements

I've been here in Austin for 19 years and I'm considering moving back to Southern California. While we're not at California level pricing yet, our housing costs are skyrocketing. I figure if I'm going to have to deal with that, the overpopulation and terrible traffic, I may as well do so in a place that has nice weather, a much wider range of outdoor activities and a better art and entertainment scene (yeah, yeah, live music capital. There's more to culture than that.). Factor in the allergies, mosquitoes and the fact that the weather and crowds often prevent me from enjoying what Austin does have to offer, and it's a no brainer for me.

So bring on the hippie (I'm not), liberal (I'm not) and "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" comments.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 02-28-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 AM

300 posts, read 414,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
I've been here in Austin for 19 years and I'm considering moving back to Southern California. While we're not at California level pricing yet, our housing costs are skyrocketing. I figure if I'm going to have to deal with that, overpopulation, and terrible traffic, I may as well do so in a place that has nice weather, a much wider range of outdoor activities and much richer and more diverse art and entertainment scene (yeah, yeah, live music capital. There's more to culture than that.).

So bring on the hippie (I'm not), liberal (I'm not) and "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" comments.
Good for you! After 30 plus years in Austin, we also consider moving to San Diego or Seattle. The property tax at Austin is too high. We can get the similar house in these two cities from paying the similar or even lower property tax with nicer weather. California state income tax is a negative factor, but it might not hurt us that much when we retire.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:11 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
I've been here in Austin for 19 years and I'm considering moving back to Southern California. While we're not at California level pricing yet, our housing costs are skyrocketing. I figure if I'm going to have to deal with that, the overpopulation and terrible traffic, I may as well do so in a place that has nice weather, a much wider range of outdoor activities and a better art and entertainment scene (yeah, yeah, live music capital. There's more to culture than that.). Factor in the allergies, mosquitoes and the fact that the weather and crowds often prevent me from enjoying what Austin does have to offer, and it's a no brainer for me.

Well said. I grew up in San Diego, in Clairmont. My Dad bought our house for $12K in 1966. It's probably worth $500K now, for a 3/1.5/2, 1000ish sqft. We never had Air Conditioning either. Didn't need it except when the "Santa Anna Winds" came through and it would be a scorching 89 degrees.

I've always thought California in general had too much tax overhead for my taste, but your comments are spot on and good food for thought. It's not what you pay to live somewhere, it's the value of what you get for what you pay. San Diego does suit a myriad of lifestyle choices and offers a climate unlike anywhere else.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 02-28-2015 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: tipo

Old 02-28-2015, 11:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
And if the City Council and Lone Star organization gets the waiver from the state you will have yet another taxing district in your property tax bill..the Lone Star Rail taxing district.

Council OKs changes to Lone Star Rail agreement - Austin MonitorAustin Monitor

Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 AM

300 posts, read 414,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And if the City Council and Lone Star organization gets the waiver from the state you will have yet another taxing district in your property tax bill..the Lone Star Rail taxing district.

Unbelievable! Adding another tax entity again! They added Travis County Health District years ago with low entry rate to lure the voters. Since then, the rate has increase more than 100%. With all the tax entities, the working class and even the middle class would be eventually driven out of Austin. We pay $12K a year for the property tax while my sister pays $8K property tax a year for a nicer and better view property in Seattle. She paid $5K/y property tax in Southern California before moving to Seattle.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
Unbelievable! Adding another tax entity again! They added Travis County Health District years ago with low entry rate to lure the voters. Since then, the rate has increase more than 100%. With all the tax entities, the working class and even the middle class would be eventually driven out of Austin. We pay $12K a year for the property tax while my sister pays $8K property tax a year for a nicer and better view property in Seattle. She paid $5K/y property tax in Southern California before moving to Seattle.
I left when I retired. I lived in Travis county and my taxes went from $2K to $7K in less than 10 years.

I'm now in Milam county where I pay $2K again with 7x the acreage

What's killing Austin IMHO is that all these districts are formed and tacked onto people's properties.
And each year each of the districts want "just a little bit more".

But these districts were all voted upon by the people who voted yes so it's really the people of Austin shooting themselves in the foot.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,077 times
Quote:
I left when I retired. I lived in Travis county and my taxes went from $2K to $7K in less than 10 years.

I'm now in Milam county where I pay $2K again with 7x the acreage

What's killing Austin IMHO is that all these districts are formed and tacked onto people's properties.
And each year each of the districts want "just a little bit more".

But these districts were all voted upon by the people who voted yes so it's really the people of Austin shooting themselves in the foot.
We left too once we retired...but we moved to California. We sold our house in Central Austin and bought another one in Central California for less money. Our property taxes are half what they were in Austin. As retirees, we can control our income so state taxes have not been a big issue for us. What we've gained is beautiful weather, less crowds, no traffic, and tons of things to do. We loved our time in Austin but it got to the point that we kept questioning whether we should bother going to events because we were sick of fighting crowds and traffic. We also do not miss summer!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
We left too once we retired...but we moved to California. We sold our house in Central Austin and bought another one in Central California for less money. Our property taxes are half what they were in Austin. As retirees, we can control our income so state taxes have not been a big issue for us. What we've gained is beautiful weather, less crowds, no traffic, and tons of things to do. We loved our time in Austin but it got to the point that we kept questioning whether we should bother going to events because we were sick of fighting crowds and traffic. We also do not miss summer!
I agree. I stopped going because of the same reason..the crowds and fighting for a parking spot.
Overcrowded events just aren't that enjoyable with long lines, booths too crowded to even get to see what they have, overpriced goods, etc.

I stayed in Texas because I like Texas. It has just enough winter for me vs Florida.
And when this ranch gets too much to handle I'll move again probably towards the coast (Rockport or some other smaller town near the coast).

Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,792 times
Quote:

Uh, no.

It's not another taxing entity. It's just the city giving them a cut of _their_ taxing revenues, at the same rate as before.

It's a _very_ good thing.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Uh, no.

It's not another taxing entity. It's just the city giving them a cut of _their_ taxing revenues, at the same rate as before.

It's a _very_ good thing.

Think about that. Homeowners won't pay any more because Austin is going to give up some of their revenue.

And when more money is needed to build (because we all know costs increase each year) Austin is going to give up more of their revenue amid all the issues Austin has now ?

Sounds good on paper doesn't it ?

The Lone Star district is already showing up on Travis CAD accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin