Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times

Advertisements

Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater is nice and they are in the NFL South which means I could get live Saints games once a year. The beaches are the best in the country, but there's always that hurricane risk. I don't know, I may have to check it out next time I'm in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 04:06 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The beaches are the best in the country, but there's always that hurricane risk. I don't know, I may have to check it out next time I'm in Florida.
Quantifying risk is a pretty subjective measurement. In terms possibility of occurrence, Tampa hasn't been hit directly by one since 1921. The location means an open water storm would have to curl back after passing through the Florida Straits or over Cuba. Prevailing winds make that unlikely. The other path is overland, and they would weaken by the time they got there.

The other component is the mitigation. The entire region is incredibly flat. Rising water would inundate large areas, for miles inland. There are limited highways to higher ground, and the evacuation would have to start days in advance -- to go where? So, buy in a high rise, second floor or higher.

I think you'd be amazed by downtown St Pete - right up your alley. I know I was, even after living in Tampa for a year around 2000.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Quantifying risk is a pretty subjective measurement. In terms possibility of occurrence, Tampa hasn't been hit directly by one since 1921. The location means an open water storm would have to curl back after passing through the Florida Straits or over Cuba. Prevailing winds make that unlikely. The other path is overland, and they would weaken by the time they got there.

The other component is the mitigation. The entire region is incredibly flat. Rising water would inundate large areas, for miles inland. There are limited highways to higher ground, and the evacuation would have to start days in advance -- to go where? So, buy in a high rise, second floor or higher.

I think you'd be amazed by downtown St Pete - right up your alley. I know I was, even after living in Tampa for a year around 2000.
Is it mainly a retirement destination? I mean, is the average age above 65 in that area you are talking about? I think for retirement it sounds great but I'd be the youngest one hanging out there I would think.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Is it mainly a retirement destination? I mean, is the average age above 65 in that area you are talking about? I think for retirement it sounds great but I'd be the youngest one hanging out there I would think.
There are more retired people there than in Austin but I saw lots of attractive young people on the beaches as well.

This is Tampa

This is St. Pete

Old 02-20-2015, 05:07 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Here's the graph for downtown St. Pete:

Seemed like the ages in the restaurants and bars mirrored the graph -- starting at about 35 and tapering off around 65.

One of the many condos down there. Very South Beach feeling.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:12 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I am retired in Austin but thinking of relocating. I am highly attracted to the Tampa/St Pete area also. ...
Quote:
Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater is nice and they are in the NFL South which means I could get live Saints games once a year. The beaches are the best in the country, but there's always that hurricane risk. I don't know, I may have to check it out next time I'm in Florida.
OK, now I'm going to have to go check out this place in Florida. I've never been.

Sounds like a bunch of us need to start an "Escape Austin" Meetup and trade notes and possibly plan group travel excursions to potential promise lands. I'm serious.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Here's the graph for downtown St. Pete:

Seemed like the ages in the restaurants and bars mirrored the graph -- starting at about 35 and tapering off around 65.

One of the many condos down there. Very South Beach feeling.
Interesting graph (downtown St. Pete). I wonder why all the single females in their early 20's and then a sharp dropoff but the males doesn't have that? Also, then another jump in the 50's. Seems like a place to be for 50+.

Fascinating that St. Pete (city) has more women than men pretty much across the board, except for the age range 32-37.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 PM

375 posts, read 319,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
OK, now I'm going to have to go check out this place in Florida. I've never been.

Sounds like a bunch of us need to start an "Escape Austin" Meetup and trade notes and possibly plan group travel excursions to potential promise lands. I'm serious.
I've never been either. My curiosity is now piqued. I've had a few conversations over the years with people who have lived/visited various parts of Florida and most would say it's awful hot and humid. I never considered visiting another hot and humid area when there's plenty here. May just plan a trip over there and check it out. I'm intrigued..

Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmatbert View Post
A recruiter I work with called me yesterday and I asked her the same question. She said especially if you are willing to work downtown/central Austin, the market is STRONG for accounting and finance. Her recent experience is that people are moving to Austin, but living in the suburbs and not willing to deal with the traffic to get into the city. Might apply to other fields as well.
I am thinking of moving to Austin and I work as a drug and alcohol counselor and social worker. I got a job in Nashville thou right now so we will see

Old 02-21-2015, 12:39 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
We can handle the traffice when we retire and it will be few more years. But, we don't want to pay $10K plus property tax every year. We are headding to San Diego or Seattle within 5 years.
But wouldn't San Diego and Seattle be a lot higher COL than Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin