Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:47 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,197,833 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of taking estimates for a new concrete patio. Job entails removing existing patio and replacing with a new slab. I'm finding a wide array of pricing and some contractors have liability insurance up to $1M, and others don't carry any insurance coverage. What I find interesting is that a couple of the uninsured contractors in Austin have been in business many years, with many well-reviewed jobs under their belts. Even listed in Angie's List. Is liability insurance crucial for this kind of work? Why do so many people use uninsured contractors? Should I only consider using companies that have liability insurance? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,830,130 times
I wonder if it's the same thing in a different form - sometimes you'll see 'licensed and bonded' where they've put up a bond but maybe that's not technically liability insurance? I would be surprised to learn you can go tear up somebody's patio without any type of coverage at all.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM

as far as i know, you don't need to be licensed to pour a patio, and being bonded is not the same as being insured for liability. It does seem unlikely that a contractor of any kind would be without liability insurance, but it seems some do, and get clients too. i'm wondering if this is normal (or advised)?

Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,830,130 times
My presumption is that if they don't need a license (and therefore can get by without liability insurance) it's because the state supposes they aren't likely to get into a pickle where they need it.

Personally, I wouldn't want someone tearing up my patio unless they had insurance.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:41 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,660,788 times
It is all in what you want to pay for, I guess. If they screw up a neighbors yard (i.e. drive a mix truck through their fence), you will be on the hook, potentially. OTOH, if it is a small job (small portable mixer), you might decide you don't want to pay the premium for the insurance...

Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I wonder if it's the same thing in a different form - sometimes you'll see 'licensed and bonded' where they've put up a bond but maybe that's not technically liability insurance? I would be surprised to learn you can go tear up somebody's patio without any type of coverage at all.
Yes you can tear up sombody's patio without any type of coverage at all.

"Licensed and bonded" has nothing to do with liability insurance.

Licensed means they have a state license if one is required for that type of work. i.e. electrical (very few trades require a license, especially at residential scale).

Bonded can be either a performance bond or payment bond. It is very unusual to require either for small residential construction projects.

Performance bond = a third party is guaranteeing that they will step in and complete the work if the contractor fails to do so.

Payment bond = a third party is guaranteeing that they will step in and pay all of the subcontractors and suppliers if the contractor fails to do so. Otherwise those subcontractors and supplies could file liens against your property if they do not get paid.

Liability insurance protects you the home owner if the contractor damages your property or if someone gets injured while working there.

Many small contractors do not carry bonds or liability insurance as it adds cost to the work and may make their prices less competitive. I think you need to ask yourself how risky is the work the contractor is doing and do you need additional insurance to protect you. Your homeowners insurance probably already provides some protection if someone gets hurt while working on your property.

I would not be to worried about requiring insurance for concrete work on the ground, but probably would require it for a reroofing job which has higher risks.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM

thanks, everyone for your valuable insight. I chose to go with a contractor that had the most competitive price, has many years of experience doing concrete work, has many great client reviews, and does have liability insurance. win-win!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is all in what you want to pay for, I guess. If they screw up a neighbors yard (i.e. drive a mix truck through their fence), you will be on the hook, potentially. OTOH, if it is a small job (small portable mixer), you might decide you don't want to pay the premium for the insurance...
I can't help but question this, if a contractor screws up a neighbors yard, I am not necessarily liable for that as I did not hire the contractor to do that. That is on him.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,660,788 times
Quote:
That is on him.
Yes, but if you have insurance (and the contractor doesn't), I suspect they will come after you for being the end responsibility.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:24 AM

Yes, they would go after you, and it would be up to you to go after the contractor to reimburse you. it would be a nasty, long-drawn out, expensive ordeal. THAT is why I was so concerned about the liability insurance. I am now convinced that if you hire anyone to do anything at your property, you should make sure they are insured. It's surprising what you can be held liable for if anything goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: