Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is incorrect to say that detention ponds have nothing to do with flooding or flood control. Those ponds are specifically designed to reduce the runoff from the developments that they serve, so they do not result in larger amounts of water leaving the site more rapidly than they would have before the development occured.

The City Development Code Section 8 - Stormwater Management specifically states as follows:
Let me restate. They have nothing to do with flood control for the nearby houses. The OP was asking about the detention pond behind a house. That pond has nothing to do with flood control for that house nor does it mean that house is more or less likely to flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Most detention ponds drain into the earth within a few days. Although it depends on the species (and I am not an expert in that) I believe it takes about a week for mosquitoes to go from egg to adult. So unless the detention ponds are being kept continually full due to frequent spring and summer rains, it doesn't seem like they would contribute as much as one might think to the number of biting bugs. We are told to keep bird baths, pots and saucers, old tires, buckets and such outside emptied at least every four days. Back yard ponds and dirty swimming pools could also be a problem. I also understand that blocked up gutters often contribute, as the water can pool there, and we would never know it. There is a detention pond behind our local school, but a sprinkler system distributes the water the day after a rain, without fail. I don't think that most have a sprinkler system, but most seem to drain with in a day or two.
This is true. I've lived by one in the past and never had a mosquito problem. The pond by me always drained in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin