Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 AM

176 posts, read 263,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
Austin is lower wages and tighter job market than San Antonio? This is absolutely not true. The pay and job market in Austin is MUCH better than San Antonio.
Have you been involved in any hiring in Austin lately? There are so many people who are moving here and want to move here that the competition for jobs is unreal. You wouldn't believe the number of applicants we get for each opening. What's happened in the last 6 years here is unbelievable. We can pay a lower starting salary for open positions and now have a much deeper pool of talent from which to choose. Supply and demand. It's a buyers market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 12:59 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Social work pays nothing here, and it may be a dying field if people figure it out.

My wife makes 35k per year and is deeply in debt.

The blue states probably offer more services and may pay social workers a little more. Sad right.
I'm not sure where you get the idea that social work is a dying field. Social workers are needed for all ages...and especially elderly as baby boomers age. It may not be a lucrative career at 35k, but it is needed..and why there are so many out there wanting to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
One of my step-daughter's best friends moved here from out of state with an MSW because she just HAD to live in Austin. Took three months, and finally got a paid internship at Seton. Realized it was NEVER going to turn into a full pay job. But by now, she'd met a guy and HAD to stay.

She now works at The Chive. Because if there is a bunch of people that need professional help ...
Thanks for the anecdote. Those are the types of things that I'd like to know.

And fwiw, I am not looking to move to Austin to make more money than I am in San Antonio, something livable is fine (rent, utilities, some eating out here and there, being able to go to some concerts, etc).

Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,140 times
Hey Ashbeeigh ... we just moved to Austin. I can tell you the housing is more expensive, and we live in N Austin area. The house we are in is HALF the sz of the one we had in SA and $200 more per month. Other than that, it hasn't been too much more expensive but man that $200 extra stings a bit so be sure whatever job u take is substantially better in pay otherwise it wouldn't be worth it imo.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:24 PM

I don't know about the market for social work. The market for the business I'm in requires us to be more competitive with salaries, so it's more of a job seekers market in my case. Candidates can afford to be more choosy. It's really growing out here apparently and in my line of work there are lots of great opportunities it seems. Downside....food is not so good =( ha ha ...

Old 07-17-2015, 07:27 PM

I just read your 35k salary range -- probably wouldn't cut it in N Austin to be comfortable imo. Of course also depends on your other bills, like car, insurance etc...but i would not live here on 35kish a year. You would be hard pressed to find a 1 bdrm apt for less than $1000 a month in N Austin...

Old 07-18-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I just read your 35k salary range -- probably wouldn't cut it in N Austin to be comfortable imo. Of course also depends on your other bills, like car, insurance etc...but i would not live here on 35kish a year. You would be hard pressed to find a 1 bdrm apt for less than $1000 a month in N Austin...
That's mainly my concern, would I be able to do it on my own around the same salary but with the cost of living increase? I currently work for a non-profit near SAC and enjoy the organization, not my boss so much nor the pay, but whatcha going to do? Look for something better.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 AM

I'm working on a transfer for a SA employee and she's single, no kids at home, but has a vehicle payment. In order for her to be comfortable and fins something in N Austin or surrounding suburbs...Round Rock/Cedar Park the offer will probably be in the 45k range. Knowing how it is I'm SA, 35k is not the same there as it is here from a housing perspective. It's crazy expensive imo ...renting is kinda a rip off.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:30 AM

308 posts, read 600,350 times
If you are wanting better paid jobs here in Austin, check out Apple, Dell and TDK. I know a buddy of mine joined apple few months back and accepted a decent 6-figure salary. Another company to look at is Google. Good luck

Old 07-20-2015, 03:44 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
A little over a year ago I posted a thread about relocating to Austin after recieving my license in social work (LMSW- //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...in-option.html). I am currently in San Antonio and have several friends that have/are making a move to Austin for new jobs. With a so-so lowish (35k) paying job in SA I am strongly considering focusing my job search in Austin for a change.

I understand the job market is a bit tight with UT's Social Work program and all its students. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good SA versus Austin thread from the Austin point of view? I have searched a bit and wasn't able to find one (there have been several in the SA forum and I know how some people are about rehashing the same topics over and over again). Or could anyone give me their Austin opinion of the two cities and how different/similar they are? Outside of the cost of living and the commute (I would like to be in North Austin) is there anything extraordinary about Austin that I should know? Any downfalls?

Thanks!
(?)

The place is practically down the street from you.

Last edited by mm4; 07-20-2015 at 04:00 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
If you are wanting better paid jobs here in Austin, check out Apple, Dell and TDK. I know a buddy of mine joined apple few months back and accepted a decent 6-figure salary. Another company to look at is Google. Good luck
Andthat would fit withinmy background, how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
(?)

The place is practically down the street from you.
You're confusing me a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin