Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Indigoblue, I hope you will take a look at Georgetown. I love the neighborhoods a ways west or northwest off of Wiliams.
I only got lost in Georgetown, and was unable to do more than find my way back to the 35, as I had someplace to be that I was late for. I hope that the next time I'm there, I'll be able to do more exploring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I think if I was from California, I would be interested in moving to the Lake Travis area. I was surprised by the amount of large hills with homes built on them in that location. It's very pretty and it immediately reminded me of my recent trip to LA.
Bingo! We came from So. CA, and flat Round Rock just didn't do it for us, so we sold a house at a loss after 14 months, and moved near Lake Travis. We don't have a view because we sold too early in CA, but my drive home includes the view of the lake every weekday. Even after 2+ years, it is still a calming experience.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Selling too early beats the hell out of selling (or trying to sell) too late .

Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times
when you guys moved, about how many days you stayed at that place to see if you like it or not? other then checking out the place what else did you do like read about it online, asked friends etc? I am 30 and I am moving for the first time of my life and I am getting a house, not renting. A lot to do for me.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I am thinking that I will have to rent before I decide on a property as all those that I did look at, just didn't feel "right". I also think renting will give me more time to look around and be sure that what I buy will be the best possible property for my needs.

yeah I am thinking about renting too, check out the place first then maybe buy a house but later when you move it's a lot of work and I hate it. maybe I will just rent for 2,3 months then buy a house after that, have an empty apt for 2,3 months or get a furnished apt. I will see.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
when you guys moved, about how many days you stayed at that place to see if you like it or not? other then checking out the place what else did you do like read about it online, asked friends etc? I am 30 and I am moving for the first time of my life and I am getting a house, not renting. A lot to do for me.
Renting affords you a lot more freedom than just buying into a new market. I'd highly recommend it if you are still trying to find out what city/part of the country is right for you. At 30, you should do that. If you fall in love with a place after 2-3 months and want to buy, that's great -- go for it. You won't have missed out on any "opportunity cost", especially in this market. No wild appreciation will price you out; if anything, it will be the same or even more affordable after the wait. If you are unsure, rent for 6 mos to a year or try other places.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,046 times
Default Real Estate Help

I am actually an Austin-ite looking for housing here as well. Many people I've talked to have expressed similar feelings that you have of the places just not feeling 'right'. That is largely because all the good ones are taken!! We just have so many people moving here all the time that the good ones go fast.

Here are some sites that have been helpful to me so far, maybe they will be good for you, too. Sorry if the information is redundant... I've also listed whether they were sites for sale or for lease or for both. Many people have suggested I find a cheap apartment (student housing maybe) to lease while I'm waiting for the perfect house to come open...

[url=http://www.craigslist.com]craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums[/url] - sale and lease, but helpful for lease-to-own as well
[url=http://www.statesman.com]Austin American-Statesman | statesman.com[/url] - classifieds actually very up to date
College Cribs Online (broken link) - great place for cheaper student housing to lease while still looking

Anyway, hope that helps and hopefully you find the right place, soon. The weather is about to get really beautiful in Spring and early summer. Plus it'd be awfully lame to move in July or August... 100 degrees and counting!

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-29-2008 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
Bingo! We came from So. CA, and flat Round Rock just didn't do it for us, so we sold a house at a loss after 14 months, and moved near Lake Travis. We don't have a view because we sold too early in CA, but my drive home includes the view of the lake every weekday. Even after 2+ years, it is still a calming experience.
If I felt I could afford it, I would definitely look for a home in Lake Travis. Such a beautiful area. Sigh....

Old 01-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
I've been spending a lot of free time researching this and asking questions when and wherever I can. Some people know it's right for them and move right away. I'm a bit more cautious so I'm taking my time.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake McCaig View Post
I am actually an Austin-ite looking for housing here as well. Many people I've talked to have expressed similar feelings that you have of the places just not feeling 'right'. That is largely because all the good ones are taken!! We just have so many people moving here all the time that the good ones go fast.
I agree with that! I saw a property I knew was right for me and when I finally got to go and see it, the woman who just bought it was standing with her family on the front lawn. She explained to me that she'd just closed on it (my loss as I waited too many days to "jump on it").

Thanks for the links you provided.

Quote:
Anyway, hope that helps and hopefully you find the right place, soon. The weather is about to get really beautiful in Spring and early summer. Plus it'd be awfully lame to move in July or August... 100 degrees and counting!

That's why I want to find something now, not in July or August as driving around looking for properties in the heat (and moving) can be unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin