Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM

35 posts, read 144,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingSeattle View Post
I visited Houston. Could not even figure out what I would do in that city, it is so spread out and there is so much traffic. I would never leave the house. Have not been to Dallas.

Are there any other single tech guys that have moved there? How well did you feel like you integrated into the social scene?
I work in a semicon fab.

You're going to get laid.

But the fact that you're even asking about "integrating into the social scene" is more of a problem than any actual city you live in. Not sure why you'd want to hang out with a bunch of 20 something's anyway. I once pissed off an entire picnic table of hipsters on the east side because I said horses were dumber than pigs and what's the problem with eating them.

But anyway.

Sign up for OKCupid, don't be a jerk. They'll come knocking. You'll make friends and hopefully no enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 05:25 AM

35 posts, read 144,646 times
Also, I think maybe the shallowness you were getting was because of the age group you were with. I don't think I could stand hanging out with a bunch of 20 somethings. Their world is doe-eyed and optimistic through Hillary pant-suit and Bernie goggles.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM

195 posts, read 217,221 times
Like any city, Austin is what you make it to be. I disagree that most are married by 35. Austin has a wide range of singles and married in all ages and lots to do for all. If you are having 2nd thoughts, maybe your gut is telling you this isn't the place for you. We have art, music, festivals and as a newcomer I would recommend joining meet ups to meet people with like interests. Spend a weekend in both Dallas and Austin, longer if you can, before moving. and if you do move to Texas, welcome.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-HomeGirl View Post
Like any city, Austin is what you make it to be. I disagree that most are married by 35. Austin has a wide range of singles and married in all ages and lots to do for all. If you are having 2nd thoughts, maybe your gut is telling you this isn't the place for you. We have art, music, festivals and as a newcomer I would recommend joining meet ups to meet people with like interests. Spend a weekend in both Dallas and Austin, longer if you can, before moving. and if you do move to Texas, welcome.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 848 times
CptnRn, where can I find the charts you showed above for gender distribution over various age groups? I'd like to see charts for other cities. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,630,149 times
I'd say Austin is a college town the same way Minneapolis, Columbus, Ohio, and Phoenix are college towns. Big cities that are state capitals that have a large state university located there.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 PM

114 posts, read 125,384 times
Ohio is a college town?

Old 10-04-2016, 12:52 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,077,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Try Denver if there are jobs there. It feels more like a city.
MWAHAHAHA!

My hometown is good, but needless to say winters will be cold (although not as bad as other cities, but much colder than most of TX). I think people in Denver are much friendlier than other cities in the nation (I liked Houston and DFW when I went, but it was short-term. Many residents of those cities say it's the big-city mentality, whereas Austin is friendlier).

But, be aware that in Denver, it can easily cost $1200 per month for a 1 BR; Austin isn't far behind, but something to consider. But, if you have a tech job in Austin, the pay can be pretty decent (ditto with DFW and Houston), from what I hear.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,077,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by je2000 View Post
Also, I think maybe the shallowness you were getting was because of the age group you were with. I don't think I could stand hanging out with a bunch of 20 somethings. Their world is doe-eyed and optimistic through Hillary pant-suit and Bernie goggles.
Mmmhmmm, preach it! Back when I was in my early 20's and single I preferred to hang out with groups of people in their 40's; Partly this was since I had a fetish for mature women, but a lot of it was that people my age were too high-strung and drama-filled and shallow. Once I started hanging with people in their 30's and 40's, I noticed that I felt more at ease and had more fun (Cue emotional music in background).

Old 10-04-2016, 07:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 983,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Austin:

Dallas:

Fort Worth:

Houston:

Seattle:
Where can those graphs be viewed for other cities? City-Data doesn't show one for any I look up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin