Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How to fix I-35
Build a 3rd/4th deck through downtown 16 24.62%
Bulldoze buildings downtown to expand the highway 13 20.00%
Swap I-35 and SH130 30 46.15%
Only allow buses and HOV 4 6.15%
Minor changes (striping, ramps, u-turns, etc.) 9 13.85%
Other - please provide written response 13 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times

Advertisements

We could offer incentives for people to relocate, move away from (and seek employment outside of) Austin?
This seems more reasonable, at this point, than giving companies tax breaks for moving their employees to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 06:27 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
We could offer incentives for people to relocate, move away from (and seek employment outside of) Austin?
This seems more reasonable, at this point, than giving companies tax breaks for moving their employees to Austin.
In a way, a perverse incentive is emerging. It happened in California back in 2004. I was flying to Hawaii and saw in the Los Angelas newspaper in the airport a big writeup about people cashing out on homes and relocating to the midwest and ... Austin. A typical quote was to the effective of (wife speaking) "we'll be able to pay cash for a house, live off my husband's salary, have the kids in good public schools instead of private, and I'll be able to be a stay at home mom".

Now Austin just becomes a departure point instead of a destination, and it only took 12 years.

Steve

Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Now Austin just becomes a departure point instead of a destination, and it only took 12 years.
Uh, except that it isn't. Net migration is still positive.

Unless you're referring to some people leaving (even though they're more than replaced). Which has always been the case, even 12 years ago.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
In a way, a perverse incentive is emerging. It happened in California back in 2004. I was flying to Hawaii and saw in the Los Angelas newspaper in the airport a big writeup about people cashing out on homes and relocating to the midwest and ... Austin. A typical quote was to the effective of (wife speaking) "we'll be able to pay cash for a house, live off my husband's salary, have the kids in good public schools instead of private, and I'll be able to be a stay at home mom".

Steve
I've been predicting this for some time, watching short-sighted greed for money overlooking the fact that they're killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Once Austin is destroyed beyond redemption, they'll move on to the next "in place to move" leaving us to clean up the mess.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Big Yellow Taxi - a tired Joni Mitchell reference, but okay..

So THL, you agree with swapping I-35 and SH130?

After all, the alternate would be to add road capacity (and "pave paradise") right?
Such references become "tired" to some because they are apropos and thus are used frequently. And because truth hurts.

I think that switching the two highways would not solve the problem but would only reroute it from north/south to east/west for those going into Austin, and wouldn't solve it at all for those using I35 as a way to get around Austin. So, no, I don't support it because it's a solution that doesn't work for the problem it claims to solve.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:

Steve
If Californians who live in any part of California that is a desirable place to live in (and many parts of California are not and never were) decide to sell their expensive, desirable location, buy a house in the middle west or south somewhere, and pocket a goodly difference, they can and usually could have in the past as well. That's not new.
But to pretend that that has happened to the point where it is no longer true, or to pretend that they have inflated cost of living values in their new homes to what it was in where they moved from, is ridiculous. Have you looked at current selling prices in desirable areas of California?
The fact that the same thing is happening in Austin vis-a-vis much of the rest of Texas doesn't prove anything, except that people vote with their feet, and the voters approving of Austin outweigh those approving of much of the rest of the (non-urban) parts of the state.

Last edited by pop251808; 02-23-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 09:32 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
wouldn't solve it at all for those using I35 as a way to get around Austin..

Yes it would. The toll would create an incentive to reroute through-traffic to SH130 and would cause people to carpool on I-35.

You have to understand that the population of Austin is going to double whether you want it to or not, and increasingly the size of I-35 to be 3X or 4X what it is now is NOT an option.

We now have to MANAGE existing capacity.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Yes it would. The toll would create an incentive to reroute through-traffic to SH130 and would cause people to carpool on I-35.

Yeah...I don't think those six people will make a big difference.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Yeah...I don't think those six people will make a big difference.

I-35 would see more benefit from tolling than any other highway in Austin because of the demographics of the commuters that use it. The type of people who clog up I-35 would respond very acutely to any kind of toll.

A toll on 360 or Mopac would just be an annoyance, and would need to reach $10 (from 45-to-45) before you see any noticeable behavioral change. I-35 would only need a $5 toll, and you'd already start see a significant amount of carpooling and reduction of traffic.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:13 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
I-35 would see more benefit from tolling than any other highway in Austin because of the demographics of the commuters that use it. The type of people who clog up I-35 would respond very acutely to any kind of toll.

A toll on 360 or Mopac would just be an annoyance, and would need to reach $10 (from 45-to-45) before you see any noticeable behavioral change. I-35 would only need a $5 toll, and you'd already start see a significant amount of carpooling and reduction of traffic.
You'll likely get your wish. There are plans to put HOV/managed toll lanes down the middle like what they're "improving" Mopac with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin