Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How to fix I-35
Build a 3rd/4th deck through downtown 16 24.62%
Bulldoze buildings downtown to expand the highway 13 20.00%
Swap I-35 and SH130 30 46.15%
Only allow buses and HOV 4 6.15%
Minor changes (striping, ramps, u-turns, etc.) 9 13.85%
Other - please provide written response 13 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
What's the matter, did a bicyclist get in your way, once?
So, you support the painting in of bike lanes on a stretch of US Hwy that already has the nickname "deadman's alley" and which produces year after year a high number of traffic fatalities? Sure. Not enough dead drivers, let's just add some bike lanes to the shoulder, and let's make sure at 1826 it's one of those weird ones that cross crosses with the right turn traffic, so everyone will be confused. I can't think of a better way to make it less safe than exactly what was done.

Point being, our roads are not designed intelligently. It's politics. IH35 improvements will no doubt cost WAY more because "walkability" and "bike friendly" will be mandated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 08:58 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
So, you support the painting in of bike lanes on a stretch of US Hwy that already has the nickname "deadman's alley" and which produces year after year a high number of traffic fatalities? Sure. Not enough dead drivers, let's just add some bike lanes to the shoulder, and let's make sure at 1826 it's one of those weird ones that cross crosses with the right turn traffic, so everyone will be confused. I can't think of a better way to make it less safe than exactly what was done.
So it's better to _not_ have the bike lanes and have bikes continue to use an unmarked shoulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Point being, our roads are not designed intelligently. It's politics. IH35 improvements will no doubt cost WAY more because "walkability" and "bike friendly" will be mandated.
yeah, it's not the miles and miles of elevated vehicle lanes or underground vehicle lanes, it's a few hundred feet of paths at crossings that make it expensive.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:34 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,984 times
I think we are in agreement, that BIKE LANES will NOT help I-35. It may help east-west connectivity in central Austin, but that won't help the traffic on I-35.

If I was to ever take a bike downtown from Southpark Meadows, I would use South Congress, NOT I-35. The stoplights are a non-factor for cyclists, as there is no "backup" of cyclists at intersections, like you have with motor vehicles. Cyclists primarily care about the shortest distance from A-to-B, and that they have their own lane. Bells and whistles (like elevated bicycle lanes straddling I-35 or SH71) are idiotic, and won't convince cyclists to eat car exhaust from a highway. Let's get real.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Quote:
What's wrong with I-35? It's the fastest north/south street in town.
Ah, I love quoting myself! Can someone name a north/south street in town that moves faster, at more times of the day, than 35? I'll give you credit even if you say "yes, but I can't tell you, I want to keep the secret to myself." If not, I stand by my original, oft quoted statement above.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Ah, I love quoting myself! Can someone name a north/south street in town that moves faster, at more times of the day, than 35? I'll give you credit even if you say "yes, but I can't tell you, I want to keep the secret to myself." If not, I stand by my original, oft quoted statement above.
At least according to TxDot's congestion measures, Mopac experiences less congestion than I35.

(now that may be pre-construction, but eventually that should be cleared out and improved).

Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
At least according to TxDot's congestion measures, Mopac experiences less congestion than I35.

(now that may be pre-construction, but eventually that should be cleared out and improved).
We'll see, maybe. But then, none of us are driving "pre-construction" now, are we? It is what it is (I hate that expression, but it seems to fit here).

Old 02-11-2016, 01:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,984 times
Quote:
We'll see, maybe. But then, none of us are driving "pre-construction" now, are we? It is what it is (I hate that expression, but it seems to fit here).

Preconstruction of what, SH45 SW? That will be a traffic nightmare when that gets connected to the south end of Mopac. Lots of people live in Hays roughly equidistant from I-35 and Mopac. As I-35 gets worse, there are commuters who will be pushed off the fence towards using Mopac instead of I-35, and they will start congesting south Mopac even more as SH45-to-Mopac will be an extremely attractive option to these people.

Just like it was on the north side near Wells Branch. From first hand accounts of people who lived in the area; Mopac instantly turned worse the day it opened.

Last edited by sojourner77; 02-11-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 PM

115 posts, read 145,406 times
[quote=sojourner77;42968700]So you're saying "increase capacity" of I-35. Have you seen the split in downtown Austin? No more blood left in that turnip - maybe you can squeeze one extra lane each direction, after that you're talking about adding a third story to the freeway, or bulldozing buildings downtown.

Well, not everyone is going to be happy with an expansion some businesses probably would have to move, but not the majority. The city would have to have expand more to the eastern side of 35 in downtown.

And as far as the split that's like what, 2 miles? Anyways if you take out the bottom portion, connect the bridges together and just make it one long bridge you can add at least add four to five lanes each way consistently. Maybe have the frontage rds swing under the bridge and then swing back out towards the end of the bridge. That way your not displaying any businesses or affecting the cemetery right there and its still a 10 lane freeway on top (5 lanes each way).

A lot of the over and under passes on 35 have trees and grass on the sides. You would have to take a lot of that out and just make it like a solid wall.

For ex: If you look on Google maps at Woodard St. and 35, Yager Ln and 35, St Johns St. and 35 for the underpasses and maybe Howard lane and 35 for the overpasses that's how it could work. And at the same time you wouldn't displace too many businesses.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Create express lanes with no entry or exit from 290 North to 290/71 South.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
We should bulldoze buildings in downtown Austin to make room, because changing a law to swap freeways is too much work.
My point was simply that it's not just a matter of swapping highway numbers like so many seem to think on this board. It's not like it would help traffic much anyway since the vast majority of Austin's congestion is local. Besides, you're going to **** off a lot of Austinites by tolling an unavoidable expressway that used to be free, not to mention the terrible precedent it sets for the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin