Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 923 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

we are considering moving to Austin TX but we have few concerns.
-Is the terrific in Austin TX really horrible ?
-Me and my wife are two immigrants , Do you think we will be discriminated against ? how accepting are the people of Austin to foreigners and minorities ?
-it seems Austin is hot and humid during summer month do you still can do any outdoor activities ? How many month of the year when it is above 90 F ?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:09 AM

283 posts, read 255,265 times
You asked if the "terrific" in Austin was really horrible. I assume you meant to say "traffic" and yes, it is. And I don't see it ever getting better, even with the various current and planned toll roads.

Some degree of "discrimination" exists everywhere against everyone. Texans in general are fiercely live and let live types and you won't have trouble if you don't go looking for it. Having said that, Austin in particular has been overwhelmed with newcomers in the past few years, which is driving up the costs and hassles of pretty much everything, including the aforementioned traffic. Whatever resentment you might encounter will be related to a "stop moving here!" mentality, not race or national origin.

It's above 90 degrees at least 6 months out of the year, if not 8. It's often above 100 degrees for 2 or 3 of those months. This is not where you want to live if you have concerns about hot weather.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:22 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post

It's above 90 degrees at least 6 months out of the year, if not 8. It's often above 100 degrees for 2 or 3 of those months. This is not where you want to live if you have concerns about hot weather.
Not even close.

The average high is above 90 for only 4 months (June, July, August, September).

Climate Austin - Texas and Weather averages Austin
Intellicast - Austin Historic Weather Averages in Texas (78723)

And that's the high, for the low it drops to the 70s.

Austin averages only 16 days above 100.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

Old 04-20-2016, 08:08 AM

550 posts, read 498,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
Some degree of "discrimination" exists everywhere against everyone. Texans in general are fiercely live and let live types and you won't have trouble if you don't go looking for it.
True. But, by God, don't misspell a word or use bad grammar or make a typo.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Austin summers are usually hot, with average July and August highs in the high-90s °F (34–36 °C). Highs reach 90 °F (32 °C) on 116 days per year, and 100 °F (38 °C) on 18 days per year. The highest recorded temperature was 112 °F (44 °C) occurring on September 5, 2000, and August 28, 2011.
I know it is not the average, but every month of the year has hit 90 F at least once, except for January, which peaked at 89 F . Of course, that is abnormal, but still happens.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleFan2016 View Post
Hi All,

we are considering moving to Austin TX but we have few concerns.
-Is the terrific in Austin TX really horrible ?
-Me and my wife are two immigrants , Do you think we will be discriminated against ? how accepting are the people of Austin to foreigners and minorities ?
-it seems Austin is hot and humid during summer month do you still can do any outdoor activities ? How many month of the year when it is above 90 F ?

Thanks in advance

Traffic in Austin is worst than driving in New York!!!!!

Spent many (long afternoons) sitting in traffic on Hwy 35 between Austin and Pfluggerville. Learned to bypass by taking side roads. Traffic in south Austin toward Ben White Blvd, like a sitting parking lot...lol!!

I personal view is Texas has a slower place of life, which includes driving. Here in New York across five lane hwys, traffic is still slow but at least it's moving....

Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 AM

195 posts, read 216,781 times
Traffic is truly horrible here and will be forevermore I'm afraid.
It is unlikely you would be discriminated against for being an immigrant, we are a very accepting of others kind of city.

Whether you can enjoy outdoor activities in the Summer months is totally dependent on your heat and humidity tolerance. Me.. I tend to prefer air conditioning on hot summer days, yet I can't count the number of times I've attended the Austin Hot Sauce festival which for some insane reason is held in August. I mean, who in their right minds stands out listening to live music eating hot sauce in the blazing heat of an Austin August summer?!

Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I don't pay attention to averages any more here. It is often above 90 by May. It is often 100 for at least two straight months and then after that it is 96-99. And if it is a drought year, then yes, it will probably seem like six straight months of heat.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't pay attention to averages any more here. It is often above 90 by May. It is often 100 for at least two straight months and then after that it is 96-99. And if it is a drought year, then yes, it will probably seem like six straight months of heat.
Again, just not true.

2011 had a very long run of 100 degree days.

But that's an _extremely_ exceptional case.

No other year in the history of Bergstrom has had >60 100 degree days. 4 years in the entire history of Mabry. That's for the entire year, much less straight (the record for straight is 23/27)

100 Degree Days - NWS Austin/San Antonio WFO

Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 AM

150 posts, read 134,198 times
Austin traffic is terrible and will get worse.
Years of neglect by local governmental entities, opponents of road development, and poor planning has and will continue to delve Austin into a traffic nightmare.
It will surpass (if not already) Dallas and Houston as the worse traffic per driver by a longshot.
Dallas and Houston may have more roads which are bad, but as a percentage of road miles and congestion, Austin rules. I-35 through Austin is the worst stretch of Interstate (or road for that matter) in the State, and nothing is going to fix that anytime soon. In fact, it keeps getting worse.

Choose where you live very carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin