Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 08:17 AM

15 posts, read 9,089 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are moving to Austin from out of state. He's going to be working near St. Andrew's (upper school) in the southwest part of Austin and I'll be working near UT. So questions:

1. Where should we live?
2. Any childcare suggestions?

We're looking at renting for a year and then buying, but when I look on a map, it seems like the most reasonable places to live for our commute are places like Rollingwood, which are out of our price range. Northern suburbs seem out of the way for both of us. So any ideas on southern suburbs? Is somewhere like Manchaca too far (there's a childcare place we like there).

Also, re: Childcare, we were thinking of one of the following. Anyone know anything about these places/have others to recommend?

A. Goddard School (Manchaca)
B. St. David's (doesn't have full day, so we'd have to get a nanny to take our kid home)
C. St. Martin's downtown
D. Stepping Stone near Circle C
E. Country Home Learning Center
F. XPlor near Circle C
G. Austin Eco Bilingual School
H. Elsass Westlake Hills (We're on a wait list).

All thoughts would be swell. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
Lots of friends' kids went to St. Davids and St. Martins and loved them. I'd also look at Childs Day - it's been a long time since we were there but at the time it was great

Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 PM

390 posts, read 671,376 times
It's been a couple of years, but I've never heard anything good about Country Home Learning Center. I think it's the place you send your kids while waiting to get in somewhere else.

I know several people who have used Xplor in Circle C and they have been very happy.

Did you consider Circle C Child Development Center. It is well regarded in the neighborhood. They have part-time (preschool) and full-time, but it can be hard to get into. I also know a few people who go to Primrose on Davis Ln. and like it.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
What's the price range? I'd take a look at Travis County, very close to SAS upper school and a quick trip to UT.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:37 PM

We're pretty flexible with the daycare price range; we're lucky in that regard.

Circle C didn't have any room and neither did Primrose.

Do any of you know anything about this Austin Eco Bilingual School?

I'll check out Child's Day also!

Old 05-07-2016, 10:43 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Primrose is pretty nice, we used it for after school and summer 'camp' for our kinder kid a few years back. Neighbors went to Bright Horizons while waiting for a Primrose spot. We did use Country Home one year for after school, but was not enamored with it.

Travis Country, the various 'western oaks' neighborhoods just north of Circle C, and Circle C proper are a few that come to mind as housing options.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielTigerMom View Post
Hello! My husband and I are moving to Austin from out of state. He's going to be working near St. Andrew's (upper school) in the southwest part of Austin and I'll be working near UT. So questions:

1. Where should we live?
2. Any childcare suggestions?

We're looking at renting for a year and then buying, but when I look on a map, it seems like the most reasonable places to live for our commute are places like Rollingwood, which are out of our price range. Northern suburbs seem out of the way for both of us. So any ideas on southern suburbs? Is somewhere like Manchaca too far (there's a childcare place we like there).

Also, re: Childcare, we were thinking of one of the following. Anyone know anything about these places/have others to recommend?

A. Goddard School (Manchaca)
B. St. David's (doesn't have full day, so we'd have to get a nanny to take our kid home)
C. St. Martin's downtown
D. Stepping Stone near Circle C
E. Country Home Learning Center
F. XPlor near Circle C
G. Austin Eco Bilingual School
H. Elsass Westlake Hills (We're on a wait list).

All thoughts would be swell. Thanks for your help!
If you are looking in Westlake, check out YPW for daycare. We are very happy there.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:33 AM

390 posts, read 671,376 times
I would figure out where to live first and daycare second. Elsass would be pretty inconvenient if you didn't live in the area. The traffic on Bee Caves Rd. during the rush hours is a pain. I also wouldn't look at any of the Circle C area daycares if you lived further north than William Cannon. What's your budget?

Old 05-08-2016, 08:21 PM

74 posts, read 91,417 times
We use Country Home Learning Center in North Austin and think it's great!
Our son was 13 months and had never been in daycare before, but he adjusted so easily there, even with the first month of plague. :P

Old 05-10-2016, 06:36 AM

Our budget is about $2000 for an apartment but more like 3-3500 when we buy a home--should be able to afford something in Circle C area I think.

Why is Primrose so popular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: