Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 PM

188 posts, read 597,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
Ban the bag. Those plastic bags are ridiculous pieces of trash. Here in the city, people threatened to move out when the bags were nixed. They were going ballistic because they couldn't put their box of macaroni and cheese in a plastic bag to carry it out from the store. Haven't heard from any of them since and my HEB hasn't noticed a drop in business. If they've decided to shop in Round Rock, they didn't tell anyone. People now queue up with their own reusable bags, and everyone is happy. I live on a creek, and it is absolutely amazing how little plastic floats down it now. Fences and trees aren't decorated with those bags any more.
Not everyone. Stores are happy for sure because of cost saving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 06:45 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
It's pretty easy to get these reusable bags. I think I have 10 or so in my trunk and a few in every car in my house. It seems every business gives them away for free these days perhaps as a form of free advertising. My dentists, my children's dentist, my job, my husband job, the preschool. It's like I'm a walking advertisement:-)

BTW, shop at HEB lakeline ( thought lakeline is in Cedar Park?) And they've been part of the plastic bag embargo since last year or the year before.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:51 AM

13 posts, read 14,608 times
I bought like 15 reusable bags when this law got implemented, because I didn't have any. Because I used the cheapy plastic ones for everything from bathroom garbage bags, to lunch bags for work the grocery bags ended up pulling double duty for lunch. Now I have 3-4 of the originals left, have supplemented them with a few free ones, b ut mostly I buy those .25 cent plastic ones HEB sells to fill in gaps.

When I do my weekly shop sometimes there are a couple bags in my car that didn't get filled the time before, but sometimes I just plain forget to grab the lot of them before I run out. If they are not going to provide them they should at least allow that emergency fee they were doing. $1 to use the cheap plastic bags is fine by me.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
BTW, shop at HEB lakeline ( thought lakeline is in Cedar Park?) And they've been part of the plastic bag embargo since last year or the year before.
That store actually has an Austin address in 78717. The other HEB's in Cedar Park up on 1431 still have plastic bags.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
It's pretty easy to get these reusable bags. I think I have 10 or so in my trunk and a few in every car in my house. It seems every business gives them away for free these days perhaps as a form of free advertising. My dentists, my children's dentist, my job, my husband job, the preschool. It's like I'm a walking advertisement:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
That store actually has an Austin address in 78717. The other HEB's in Cedar Park up on 1431 still have plastic bags.
The HEB shopping center is in Austin...PDQ across the street(Lakeline Blvd) is Cedar Park. It gets a little zig-zaggy around there!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:31 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The HEB shopping center is in Austin...PDQ across the street(Lakeline Blvd) is Cedar Park. It gets a little zig-zaggy around there!
Yep, the octopus that is Austin has swallowed up considerable territory in Wilco - even north of my house in Brushy Creek! (And to think, we moved all the way up here to get away from the CoA. Looks like we didn't move far enough.

I remember when Austin tried to shove their ETJ all the way up the Colorado River bed to Marble Falls, but the legislature slapped their power-mad hands. lol

Old 05-13-2016, 05:35 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yep, the octopus that is Austin has swallowed up considerable territory in Wilco - even north of my house in Brushy Creek! (And to think, we moved all the way up here to get away from the CoA. Looks like we didn't move far enough.

I remember when Austin tried to shove their ETJ all the way up the Colorado River bed to Marble Falls, but the legislature slapped their power-mad hands. lol
Interesting stuff.. Way before my time. What was this area around Avery Ranch that has Austin address called before it became Austin? Was it Cedar Park or its own separate city per mailing address?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Interesting stuff.. Way before my time. What was this area around Avery Ranch that has Austin address called before it became Austin? Was it Cedar Park or its own separate city per mailing address?
I think Brushy Creek was the dividing line between Cedar Park and Round Rock ETJs and Austin ETJ before Austin annexed Avery Ranch. Some folks might have thought it was Cedar Park since it was so far north; but there was no 'city' up here...and a couple of decades ago much of the area north of Brushy Creek(Breakaway, for example) was not part of Cedar Park proper. ScoPro can tell you some hunting stories, I reckon.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM

130 posts, read 148,511 times
And in San Diego as well. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...ns-single.html

Old 08-02-2016, 09:05 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
All the Goodwill thrift stores banned the bags also - including the ones in Williamson county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin