Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times

Advertisements

I've rented a place in 4 states and my lease said no smoking on premises (didnt care what you did outside the house) and the clause didnt seem unique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Plenty of leases in Texas prohibit smoking.

Two second google search turn up plenty of information!

Can Landlords Ban Smoking in a Rental Property? | RentPrep

http://www.hcd.ca.gov/codes/registra...al_6-23-11.pdf
http://www.mismokefreeapartment.org/modellease.pdf

HERE IS INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO MICHIGAN!
MISA Tenants

Old 05-12-2016, 02:58 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
AguaDulce: Yes, I guess that is how I do things. Perhaps you could put me on ignore and not read my posts. Then you would not feel compelled to post irrelevant remarks about what I do.

I did look it up myself and saw the law that says we have the right to not have smokers. However, I was hearing conflicting information from the rental company so I asked the question here. I know there is information on the internet.

I heard back and I think it was just misinformation and I'm getting a few things straightened out.

Yeah, I jumped the gun...so sue me.

Feel free to use the ignore feature!!! And, exclamation marks always appreciated because I might not get the point otherwise!!!!

Old 05-12-2016, 03:31 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
AguaDulce: Yes, I guess that is how I do things. Perhaps you could put me on ignore and not read my posts. Then you would not feel compelled to post irrelevant remarks about what I do.

I did look it up myself and saw the law that says we have the right to not have smokers. However, I was hearing conflicting information from the rental company so I asked the question here. I know there is information on the internet.

I heard back and I think it was just misinformation and I'm getting a few things straightened out.

Yeah, I jumped the gun...so sue me.

Feel free to use the ignore feature!!! And, exclamation marks always appreciated because I might not get the point otherwise!!!!
I would not use the ignore feature on you as I have enjoyed many of your posts, nor would I use an exclamation point unless necessary.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:42 PM

188 posts, read 597,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
This is not about discrimination. It's about what is or isn't allowed according to the terms of a lease. Just like whether a tenant can keep a pet.
Didn't you read the other thread pet owner complaining about discrimination?

Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Hey, seeing as how it is soon going to be considered discrimination to consider criminal record for housing (because a disproportionate number of minorities have criminal records), it COULD happen for smoking .

Old 05-13-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Hey, seeing as how it is soon going to be considered discrimination to consider criminal record for housing (because a disproportionate number of minorities have criminal records), it COULD happen for smoking .
Unlikely, because for more than a decade anti-tobacco forces have been expanding their war on smoking by extending the ban to private places such as homes and cars when children are present.

It's about the CHILDREN!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Discriminating against smokers is not the same as including an indoor smoking prohibition in a lease.

Besides, I don't think you can compare a former convict to a person who presently chooses to engage in a certain act that is known to damage property.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
How about a no curry clause. Have you ever rented to people who cook with curry a lot? Holy cow you will wish they had smoked cigarettes. Besides smoking isn't a protected class.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
How about a no curry clause. Have you ever rented to people who cook with curry a lot? Holy cow you will wish they had smoked cigarettes. Besides smoking isn't a protected class.
I had to sign a no curry affidavit when I moved into my current apartment. It was not a part of the lease, but it was included in the packet.

I also had to sign one that stated I would not use abrasive cleaner (like comet or ajax) on the bathtub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin