Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 14,054 times

Advertisements

So I recently got a job in South Austin that pays pretty decent and I'm looking to move! As a young woman who would be living by herself and working odd hours security is very important to me. I've been thinking of looking at apartments in the Bee Cave area as it is fairly close to South Austin and the area seems really safe and nice. Sure it isn't really in the urban or trendy parts of Austin and is more of a hill-country suburban area but I don't really care about living in the downtown Austin/Zilker/SoCo area. I looked at the Paseo at Bee Cave apartments today and was wondering what else was in the area?

So does anyone live in Bee Cave? Particularly any young professionals? How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I wouldn't call Bee Cave close to South Austin. It's a long commute, with traffic on 620 and 2244 being pretty bad during commute times. You could go to 71 but then you'd have to commute through the Y which is also terrible. It would also be boring for a young professional -- all the restaurants, stores, etc will be filled with families and high school kids.

Why not look into westlake? Like off the southern portion of 360, or even the inner part north of the Barton Creek mall? Westlake is expensive to buy, but the apartment rents aren't going to be much different than Bee Caves. Westlake itself is also quite boring for young professionals, but you are so close to south Austin and downtown that you'll easily be able to hit some fun spots when you want. 360 traffic and 2244 in westlake is bad, but it's a much shorter distance to where you need to go.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 PM

90 posts, read 101,334 times
Looking at bee cave my self is there any decent internet out there.. twc/grande or slow att dsl?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,910 times
I live out by the Austin Zoo, and go to Bee Cave quite a bit. I do know the Paseo apartments, and yes they are nice. Bee Cave is pretty contained. I think of it mainly for shopping. There are many new complexes going up along 71. There is a beautiful complex on Old Bee Caves Road called the Landmark Conservancy. I used to work downtown, and avoided the Y all together. No one who actually lives in Oak Hill area uses the Y. We all go Thomas Springs > Old Bee Caves > Thomas Springs > SW Parkway. Then you can take MoPac up, or take 290 and wherever you need to go in S. Austin.

As for internet, yes, there is great internet. TWC. U-vserse. Not sure about Grande. No Google Fiber yet.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:03 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
There is an apartment boom underway from Oak Hill out to Bee Caves. Lots of rental stock coming on the market out west on hwy 71.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:10 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I live in South Austin and Bee Caves is 25 miles from me! Not a commute I would consider when there are so many housing options in South Austin itself.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:30 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
The hill country is a nice place to visit, but an inconvenient place to live. I think people don't parse those two aspects when choosing where to live. Ego drives a lot of it.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:31 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
I live in Bee Cave, and you wouldn't take 620 or 2244 to get to south Austin. You would take 71 to Southwest Parkway as it deadends at Mopac. It takes less than 20 minutes from where I am in Falconhead West. The Paseo apartments would cut out about 3-5 of those minutes, depending on the lights. It's an easy drive.

There are tons of new apartments out there. Right across from Falconhead on 620 is Cielo, then you have Falconhead Apartments right next to the Lake Travis High School.

If you go further West on 71 just past Bee Cave, you land back in Lakeway and they have brand new apartments they're still building, but have already started renting, the Mansions.

And yes, tons more apartments just being built in Oakhill on 71 around Covered Bridge.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:57 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,254 times
Be careful, there are reports of BEES in the area! ;-)

Old 05-29-2016, 06:45 PM

83 posts, read 104,003 times
I think Bee Cave is really nice, if you have a family!

I second the suggestion to live in Westlake. There's a few nice new apartment buildings that are off mopac which would be a fantastic location. It's super close to Zilker and South Austin and downtown, but in a more suburban quiet environment. If you prefer the suburbs, you can head over to Westlake get groceries and run errands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin