Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:17 AM

176 posts, read 263,528 times

Advertisements

Earlier this week I found a young male German Shepherd wandering the streets. He had no collar, no tags and no microchip. He is emaciated, a walking bag of bones. He has fleas, some skin sores from scratching/biting the fleas, and an eye infection. I bathed him, treated him for fleas and I'll be taking him to the vet to treat his eye infection.

The Austin Animal Center is at max capacity, so rather than taking him there, I filed a Found Dog report and I'm keeping him at my house temporarily. Yesterday, the AAC contacted me and the dog's owner was there looking for him. I asked how long he had been missing and based on his physical condition, I was expecting to hear that he'd been lost for weeks or months. No. He had only been missing for 2 days. So in a nutshell, the dog's "owner" has been starving him, letting him be eaten alive by fleas and ignoring his medical needs.

I let the AAC representative know that I would not be surrendering the dog to the person who has been neglecting him. He rudely said a supervisor would be calling me, since I had someone else's "property".

I went ahead and filed an animal neglect report with 311. The AAC supervisor has yet to contact me. Does anyone know the legal ramifications for this situation? I can't find much online.

Oh, and if anyone would like to adopt a sweet, friendly, playful German Shepherd who needs to be fattened up and loved, please PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Yes, it would be 'unfortunate' if he accidentally 'escaped' from you and found his way to some nice home that you did not know about.....

Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
I'm going to DM you!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:42 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
Is he a purebred GSD? If so, I know many people in the GSD rescue community (and I have two of them myself--both rescues) and may be able to help. I can ask my husband about the legal ramifications, too. DM me. The rescue group I've worked with sometimes takes mixes as well as purebred dogs, though priority is on purebreeds.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 PM

176 posts, read 263,528 times
Thank you all for the recommendations.

Things just got interesting. The Austin Animal Center actually gave my phone number (and possibly my home address) to the owner of the dog. They have some real rocket scientists working there, I tell you. The owner called me demanding his dog back. That conversation didn't go as he expected and I ripped him a new one for what he's done to this dog. I told him to contact the police about the animal neglect report I filed. He says he's calling the police to tell them I stole his dog. Not a smart move.

This should be entertaining and I think I'll soon have all the answers I need regarding the legalities of this cluster f.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:19 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
HOLY CRAP!!!

You need to make sure the police are aware he has your address!!!

And I would get in touch with someone at City Hall (mayor, someone very high up) letting them know that the AAC gave out your private information.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:53 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Take pictures of the dog, any skin issues, and the flea infestation and get him to the vet ASAP. Have the vet document the dog's condition. The vet can confirm that the dog has been neglected or been wandering and lost for much longer than 2 days. In either case, you shouldn't have to return the dog to the "owners."

Old 07-08-2016, 01:56 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Also, if it's not microchipped, and had no tags, how can they prove that it's even their dog?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,548 times
Tons of German shepherds out there. How does the previous owner know he has the right dog?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Thank you OP, for having a warm heart and giving the poor dog some good interventive care and for advocating on its' behalf. I'll never understand why people choose to keep pets, then treat them with such neglect. It infuriates me.

Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: