Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRCB810 View Post
Now that's funny! I can see "Austin, city of the functional alcoholics." being the new motto instead of "Keep Austin Weird."

I'm gonna print out some shirts today and start the city tagline revolution.
I'm pretty sure Madison Wisconsin would sue us for infringement.

(yes, I'm aware that's not actually their motto.)

Old 08-04-2016, 10:12 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
I've been continually impressed with how unprofessional the job search process is. Unless you're a software developer, it's an employers' market out there, and they can afford to treat you like crap, particularly in a place with a bunch of qualified young professionals like Austin.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:25 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I've been continually impressed with how unprofessional the job search process is. Unless you're a software developer, it's an employers' market out there, and they can afford to treat you like crap, particularly in a place with a bunch of qualified young professionals like Austin.
Preach it!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:56 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Quote:
Same as it ever was. 26 years ago, I could have said the same thing, Austin has always been an employers market, especially for anything entry-level. Not fun.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM

224 posts, read 297,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
A job offer involves a written statement that you will work for a company for a set amount of money on a recurring time frame. Any verbal indication that you "have a job" is nothing. Literally nothing.

Austin is a competitive market with many people vying for a limited number of positions. The popularity of the Austin area due to reasonable cost of living as well as a fairly dynamic and diverse population makes this a target area for a lot of people looking for better than what they have. For many lifelong locals, the reality of how bad the job market is in other places doesn't register. Many residents that have enjoyed Austin for all or most of their life don't understand the underemployment or the stagnation of the economy in places elsewhere.

So, yes it sounds like a crummy day, and you definitely have the right to rant if you wish. When it is time to be done with the rant, pick yourself up and dust your self off, freshen the resume' and go get that career spot you want. Smile, pitch your skills, stay positive because it could be (and sometimes likely will be) worse. When someone tells you that you are the right person for the spot they have, let them know you will look forward to their offer letter. In the meantime, while waiting for that offer letter, keep looking because the conversation you just had will not pay the rent.

Good luck.
Thanks I have done that, and this week I have gotten tons of interest in my resume, my skills. But it is still out there to whether I will get an interview or not. Some of them interest jobs are very high profile jobs, I think anyone would like to get. But like many have said, its not done til I have it in writing or signed the proper paperwork and all the stuff that goes into hiring someone.

So we'll just have to wait and see, but I agree that doesn't pay the bills.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I agree completely most of what you said is true, and that is part of the reason why I am starting to look in San Antonio. If I do get a job in San Antonio, when my lease is up, I will move there. But it just depends on where I get a job. But I do agree it seems like this is a very cut throat market. So far I am not impressed in how the industry handles contractors or their hiring processes. Its no wonder people lose their mind when companies do this kind of stuff.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Same as it ever was. 26 years ago, I could have said the same thing, Austin has always been an employers market, especially for anything entry-level. Not fun.
On one hand I would say that I am at entry level but then when I go for entry level positions, I get told that I am over qualified for those positions, even though I just graduated college, however I have been working with, self teaching myself with computers for about 8 years now and helping other family members too. Which idk y but I never put that on my resume before, but now after talking to some people in the industry, they tell me that I should put that in there and the other continuous training that you do for comptia and trying to get other certs. So hopefully I will see more results when I do this, and they had a very good point. The only reason I didn't put it on, was because I didn't know how to list it or how to include it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin