Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 10:54 PM

17 posts, read 47,159 times

Advertisements

I was visiting Austin tonight as I have other times and I was walking on (or so I have been told) a relatively new trail next to boggy creek, that trail is really nice.

Anyways, I was so surprised to see how much literal trash was in the creek. I thought Austin was so environmentally friendly that I when I seen so much trash in the creek, I was astonished.

The weeds literally right beside the trail were taller than me.

So my question is doesn't Austin have money in the budget to keep these area clean and tidy?

Is all the environmental talk from Austin just that talk or is it something they actually try to do but are failing miserably at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker 1234 View Post
I was visiting Austin tonight as I have other times and I was walking on (or so I have been told) a relatively new trail next to boggy creek, that trail is really nice.

Anyways, I was so surprised to see how much literal trash was in the creek. I thought Austin was so environmentally friendly that I when I seen so much trash in the creek, I was astonished.

So my question is doesn't Austin have money in the budget to keep these area clean and tidy?

Is all the environmental talk from Austin just that talk or is it something they actually try to do but are failing miserably at it?
If it's in the creek, it's possible it was washed there in the recent flooding in the area and hasn't been cleaned up yet.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
We have had a tremendous amount of rain in the past 3 weeks, so much of the trash is probably related to that, same with the weeds, typically, August is a month of little growth as it is typically extremely hot and dry, the recent heavy rains have everything growing but the mowing schedules haven't caught up.

But also in general, Austin and all of Texas runs extremely lean. Texans tend to hate taxes and are willing to accept a much lower level of service in exchange. Parks' budgets are very tight and far below what you would see in other places.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,381 times
Quote:

Weeds or natural growth?

You're walking down a trail through nature, wouldn't you expect plants to be growing there? Did you expect a manicured lawn?

Old 09-06-2016, 09:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
OP, you stated in your first post here posted three days ago that you've been living in Austin a couple of months, and above you say that you are visiting?

And what Novacek said. Nature has plants, some of them quite tall.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:37 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,896 times
I'm more curious about what "new trail" next to Boggy Creek. I think I have hiked every trail in the Austin area, so anything "new" would pique my interest. Could you share the name of it?

And as some of the other posters have suggested, in some areas, the rains do wash a good bit of trash from surrounding streets and neighborhoods into the hiking trails/creeks beds. And as far as "weeds" go, hiking areas and greenbelts are where they live.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 PM

615 posts, read 780,720 times
Quote:
Well I have lived here a couple of months in Austin, and I was just trying to figure out if this is the norm or what? I may explain later, but I feel like many people may get offended. I feel like Austin people get easily offended and thus for that reason, I'm not sure if I am ready to explain what has happened to me over the couple of months. It actually has me second guessing my decision to move here and for that reason I have been thinking of moving again. Just not sure what to do to be honest.
It's amazing how three days ago you were living here for a couple months and now you are visiting.

I'm calling troll.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
I'm more curious about what "new trail" next to Boggy Creek. I think I have hiked every trail in the Austin area, so anything "new" would pique my interest. Could you share the name of it?

And as some of the other posters have suggested, in some areas, the rains do wash a good bit of trash from surrounding streets and neighborhoods into the hiking trails/creeks beds. And as far as "weeds" go, hiking areas and greenbelts are where they live.
It's walnut creek and trail. But some of the weeds and plants are overpowering the trail and were taller than me. San Antonio trails aren't like that, so as some would say why is there a huge difference?

Old 09-07-2016, 11:45 PM

Sorry for the confusion I was visiting NE Austin, that was left out didn't even think about it til now, I guess I need to be more clear about what I am saying or where I am visiting. (I'm guessing this would be called NE Austin, but not sure)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin