Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times

Advertisements

Stay. Fight. Speak out. Advocate.

I don't want Austin to become Aspen! Folks at all income levels are important and many do vital work. Code Compliance needs more funding, penalties need real teeth. For a very long time, Austin didn't need a thoughtful response to these issues because there were so many cheap apartments around, one got fixed up and rents raised, it was easy to find another. Those days are gone gone gone (as we all know).

OP if you know anyone in that complex with schoolkids, have them contact AISD, they have a program to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
We often get only part of the story. There have been at least two other similar cases recently where the tenants were told many months prior that the apartments would be vacated to demo or remodel but once the official 30 day notice was given they ran to the media to cry about "only having 30 days notice to move." What renters don't seem to understand is they don't have any control over what happens to a property they don't own beyond the terms of their leases.

What is appalling is that these people were living in these conditions and the city did nothing for years to force the owners to remedy this public health issue.
Harvard Place was not listed on the affordable housing guide but it is an issue that the city is aware of: Repeat code violators included in guide to affordable housing | KXAN.com

Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post

I'm sure they are paying at least $1,000/month in rent. What I personally would like to see is them fixed and the residents able to stay put. But since that's not happening.
It's difficult to determine if "fixing them" is a viable option depending on what the city is requiring to be "fixed". I have a close friend that owns apartments in another major city in Texas. "Fixing things" the way the city often requires things to be fixed often costs much more than it is worth to the landlord and those costs would be passed along to the renters anyway.

Instead of fighting the city over every little permit and inspection, it makes more sense to sell to a major developer that is just going to tear it down and put luxury apartments there. But, from my friend's experience, the small-time landlord that does value preserving an older yet established building gets hounded so much by the city's code enforcement that it's much easier to just cash out nowadays. The small time landlord can't afford the extensive repairs required by the city (whether they are actually needed or not is debatable) and the big time buyer knows there is much more money to be made with a new building.

This is just to point out that a lot of times it isn't the landlord's fault in this situation, but the constant pressure from the city code enforcement to provide such a "high standard" that the older building itself just can't support. And remember that property taxes go up with appraised value for the landlords of these complexes as well. The recurring expenses to own and maintain an older apartment complex in a major city with dedicated code enforcement keeps growing. You would be surprised how unwilling the city is to work with the landlords in order to get things fixed and they immediately react to tenant complaints without listening to explanations from the landlords.

This isn't to say that there aren't neglectful and careless landlords out there as well because there are. But, it shouldn't always be assumed that the landlord is the source of the problem.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Stay. Fight. Speak out. Advocate.

I don't want Austin to become Aspen! Folks at all income levels are important and many do vital work. Code Compliance needs more funding, penalties need real teeth. For a very long time, Austin didn't need a thoughtful response to these issues because there were so many cheap apartments around, one got fixed up and rents raised, it was easy to find another. Those days are gone gone gone (as we all know).

OP if you know anyone in that complex with schoolkids, have them contact AISD, they have a program to help.
I'm very familiar. This morning I ensured that none of the families I work with are there. Doesn't look like it.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
My neighbor across the way with three kids under the age of four who cleans homes for $9/hr and works 60 hours a week and the grandmother who asks me for money to do laundry regularly...probably do not. And I would do what I could to help them, get them in touch with legal aid, get them in touch with community centers, the county, the city, other organizations that assist the city.
$9/hr? Is she any good? I am paying around $20/hr for good house cleaning. If she is paying for any kind of child care, she is likely coming out behind, although she would (if she is the sole money earner) qualify for a dozen or more different government programs.

The grandmother one is more problematic - my mom is living on her own and is financially 'okay' - has to worry about money, but her house is paid for, she has SS, and there is a bit of money put away. We do have to help with financial 'stuff' - my dad took care of all that for 50+ years, so while she is quite smart, it is all new to her. We currently live in a society that seems to be so separated from the concept of extended family that it is depressing. My older brother is Asperger's and lives in dilapidated (but cheap) housing off of 290 and I-35. Some day it will likely be demolished and we will have to help him find somewhere to live or even take him in (you would have to know my wife and him personally to know how difficult this would be for both ). If he can 'make it' to SS years (about 11 more), then he is probably good - he has managed to find work his whole life and has extremely low money requirements. Where is the family for these people? Is there absolutely none?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
$9/hr? Is she any good? I am paying around $20/hr for good house cleaning. If she is paying for any kind of child care, she is likely coming out behind, although she would (if she is the sole money earner) qualify for a dozen or more different government programs.
She is not a citizen. She is paid cash. Kids are citizens so she gets some help, but finding a good job is nearly impossible (but I don't want to derail the housing thread on citizenship because that becomes a national issue very quickly). In addition, if she were qualified for government programs the wait is impossibly long.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:06 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
She is not a citizen. She is paid cash. Kids are citizens so she gets some help, but finding a good job is nearly impossible (but I don't want to derail the housing thread on citizenship because that becomes a national issue very quickly). In addition, if she were qualified for government programs the wait is impossibly long.
So she's not a citizen and is paid in cash under the table so pays no taxes yet sucks up our financial resources for her anchor babies. This is exactly the kind of situation that's spurred the popularity of Trump.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So she's not a citizen and is paid in cash under the table so pays no taxes yet sucks up our financial resources for her anchor babies. This is exactly the kind of situation that's spurred the popularity of Trump.
I understand. And I completely respect those opinions (although I hope this doesn't derail my initial concern about residents at Harvard place in general), at the end of the day, though, those anchors babies still need help and so does mom.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:38 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,984 times
Quote:

I will cost taxpayers roughly $30,000 to $40,000 per year to educate her 4 children, and she doesn't pay taxes.

Ashbeigh - This is the example you're using to make your argument??? Maybe you should spend your own money, and buy a clue.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
I will cost taxpayers roughly $30,000 to $40,000 per year to educate her 4 children, and she doesn't pay taxes.
*shrug* She will pay property taxes (via rent) and sales taxes, which essentially fund all education in Texas. She will not pay federal taxes (although at that income it would be almost nothing), but will not draw social security of be able to make use of assistance programs. Net zero, or close enough.

As a comparison, my citizen niece has three kids under 5 and doesn't do anything to earn money. Her hubby has a small city job (small town, not Austin) that barely covers basic expenses. They have opted to use medicaid instead of paying the monthly insurance premium to cover the family.

But as to the original issue - housing is not guaranteed to be static. Yes, Austin appears to be heading toward the next 'Aspen', although there is a long way to go before we get there. Unlike Aspen, there ARE cheaper alternatives in the area that are still close to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin