Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmyu View Post
Are you sure you've been here for 2 years? I'm pretty sure we've hit record lows.
I know. There were nights in the teens. If you have open windows then, you'll be having broken pipes and high plumbing bills for repairs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:44 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Well, that low in the teens last January kinda' proves the winter theme of this thread, warm with cold fronts. On January 7, Austin had a low temperature of 19 degrees, previously 19 degrees for a low was in February, 2011. The high for the next day was 41 degrees and the low that night was 21 degrees. The following night saw a low of 25 degrees, with a high of 50 degrees the next day. That night had a low of 38 degrees; then it was over, the next day had a high in the mid-60s.

Christmas Eve, 2009 saw a low of 17 degrees, and there were a couple of nights with lows in the teens in January, 2010; before then, we have to go back to 1996 to see a low in the teens.

The lowest Austin temperature that I can remember in my lifetime was 9 degrees in December, 1989.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmyu View Post
Are you sure you've been here for 2 years? I'm pretty sure we've hit record lows.
Yep, moved down here April 2015.. got to witness the drought and 105 temps for that summer.. I am serious.. i been running my AC since i got down here. I dont remember any time it got below freezing much less cold enough for me to put on a heavy coat.. I mean i seen some 50s and ya act like it was 20 below zero out side and im in shorts.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
South Florida, at least the parts near the water, have nice ocean breezes. I lived in Fort L and Miami and prefer the weather there to here.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:35 PM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I was in Austin this past weekend and loved the hot, sunny weather. Compared to south FL-- the weather in Austin was nice.

I'm wondering what are winters like? Typically in south FL, our winters are very pleasant and warm. I'm curious about what winter weather is like there? I saw some varieties of palm trees here and there which indicated to me perhaps warm winters?

I may have a possible job offer at UT Austin and in the even I'm offered-- I'll take the job, but just curious about climate and winter in general.

Non-existent. You'll find many folks around here celebrating Christmas (and Valentines) in shorts and sandals. This might seem like a good thing for a year or two but it gets old real soon.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:23 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
Non-existent. You'll find many folks around here celebrating Christmas (and Valentines) in shorts and sandals. This might seem like a good thing for a year or two but it gets old real soon.
No. Just no. We've had a couple of freakishly warm years, but shorts on Christmas and Valentines isn't a normal thing every year. and someone used to a south Florida winter is most definitely going to find it cold here in winter. You apparently have never been there to compare.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:07 PM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
No. Just no. We've had a couple of freakishly warm years, but shorts on Christmas and Valentines isn't a normal thing every year. and someone used to a south Florida winter is most definitely going to find it cold here in winter. You apparently have never been there to compare.
And someone from Ethiopia or Sudan is going to be wearing a winter coat in South Florida's winter. Ever since I've moved here (over a decade ago) I've been hearing variants of " ... a couple of freakishly warm years .... " and I just don't get it. Austin is a beautiful city with a LOT to offer but it is a hot place with non-existent winters and that's totally fine. So is wearing shorts and sandals on Christmas and Valentines.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:24 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times
Well, I moved here 5 years ago from the Northeast, and maybe wear my columbia winter jacket once every couple years.

I can remember an ice storm a few years back, but last years winter was non-existent.

I do remember some snow flurries in North Austin two times in five years. Nothing actually stuck to the ground.

Dallas is MUCH colder during the winter. We typically travel up there a few times a winter to watch Stars games, and it is darn right cold.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:35 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
In all fairness, everywhere in the country East of the Rockies, from Texas to Florida, under-performs when it comes to stability of winter temperatures/warmth. There are places around the world at Austin's latitude (or even farther north) that have never reached freezing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo#Climate

Meanwhile, even Miami has seen temperatures down to the 20s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate

Old 08-06-2017, 09:19 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
In all fairness, everywhere in the country East of the Rockies, from Texas to Florida, under-performs when it comes to stability of winter temperatures/warmth. There are places around the world at Austin's latitude (or even farther north) that have never reached freezing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo#Climate

Meanwhile, even Miami has seen temperatures down to the 20s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate
Miami reached degrees in the 20s (27 and 28 degrees) exactly five times. That's hardly a trend to judge whether someone from south Florida will find the temperatures that regularly dip far below that range too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin