Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2020, 01:22 PM

7 posts, read 9,010 times

Advertisements

Hello Auste(nites?),
This is my first participation here. I have read a lot of threads trying to gather info but I came that probably just asking myself would be the better the options since many related threads are from 2013/2009

I am moving from Canada to Austin (I actually chose Austin). The company I am moving with has multiple branches in the US in different states but I chose Austin because I visited it once and I liked that people are relaxed and most importantly the weather ( yes I know it can get hot but it is better for me than the freezing province I was in).

any ways, my on only and biggest concern is schools. I have a kid on Autism (he is very HF) and he just needs this litte attention/push from school and he would strive. He is 4 years old and right now in Junior KG

Any suggestions on what schools or areas I should specifically be looking at?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 02:59 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
Where will you be working?

Old 01-03-2020, 03:10 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Search for “autism” and “special education.” You’ll get some good results. But yes, where is work? That will offer us some more insight. Have you been to Austin after that one visit? Was it during the summer? How do you feel about seven months of heat versus seven months of cold? What is your housing budget? Outside of education, do you want to live suburban or in an urban area? Or even out in the country?

Please don’t rely on random strangers on the internet to make a decision for you. You know what is best for your kid and calling and visiting with schools is the best bet for you.

If you end up thinking Austin ISD is the best option for you note that they have a transfer option, but a good 25% of the schools are closed to transfer and those schools are in more desirable parts of the city.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Search for “autism” and “special education.” You’ll get some good results. But yes, where is work? That will offer us some more insight. Have you been to Austin after that one visit? Was it during the summer? How do you feel about seven months of heat versus seven months of cold? What is your housing budget? Outside of education, do you want to live suburban or in an urban area? Or even out in the country?

Please don’t rely on random strangers on the internet to make a decision for you. You know what is best for your kid and calling and visiting with schools is the best bet for you.

If you end up thinking Austin ISD is the best option for you note that they have a transfer option, but a good 25% of the schools are closed to transfer and those schools are in more desirable parts of the city.

Thank you for your suggestion. My work will be in area called North Burnet (north of Austin). I have been only once to Austin and it was in October. I prefer heat way over cold, infact this is why I decided to move from the North.
My budget would be to rent for 2.5k initially and then probably buy in the 400kish

I hope that will help in getting more answers

Old 01-09-2020, 07:25 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostworld View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. My work will be in area called North Burnet (north of Austin). I have been only once to Austin and it was in October. I prefer heat way over cold, infact this is why I decided to move from the North.
My budget would be to rent for 2.5k initially and then probably buy in the 400kish

read the sticky and give us that info.

400K could buy a great 1 br condo. But Im sure that doesnt meet your needs. At the very least we need square footage and age preference, along with price.

What an acceptable commute would be would help as well.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
read the sticky and give us that info.

400K could buy a great 1 br condo. But Im sure that doesnt meet your needs. At the very least we need square footage and age preference, along with price.

What an acceptable commute would be would help as well.

Hello
I read 3 stickies and I didn't find the info that needs to be provided. Maybe I missed it?. Anyways, I will provide the info you asked for.
I am looking for 3 or 4 bedroom house. SQFT can be 1200-1500 (basically midium size house). My wife does not work (well she works with kids more than 9-5 job!). I have 2 kids, one is 4 and one is 2 so being close to park/playstructure is important. I prefer commute to be 15 min but I am ok with it up to 30 min. My absolute priority is good supportive school and neigborhood safty.
The house range I am looking for is 400-430k

Let me know if any more info is needed

Old 01-10-2020, 10:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,212 times
Quote:

Do you mean the town of Burnet, which is northwest of Austin quite a bit, or North Burnet Road, which runs well within the boundaries of central and north Austin?

Old 01-13-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Do you mean the town of Burnet, which is northwest of Austin quite a bit, or North Burnet Road, which runs well within the boundaries of central and north Austin?
Yes I went google maps and indeed it is the the second one (North Burnet Road)
Sorry for confusion

Old 01-13-2020, 02:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Hello Auste(nites?),
This is my first participation here. I have read a lot of threads trying to gather info but I came that probably just asking myself would be the better the options since many related threads are from 2013/2009

I am moving from Canada to Austin (I actually chose Austin). The company I am moving with has multiple branches in the US in different states but I chose Austin because I visited it once and I liked that people are relaxed and most importantly the weather ( yes I know it can get hot but it is better for me than the freezing province I was in).

any ways, my on only and biggest concern is schools. I have a kid on Autism (he is very HF) and he just needs this litte attention/push from school and he would strive. He is 4 years old and right now in Junior KG

Any suggestions on what schools or areas I should specifically be looking at?
Thanks

East and southeast Austin are best.... In Austin these days, your best bet is private school, or Homeschooling.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:31 AM

30 posts, read 27,184 times
Austin ISD schools do not have the best reputation. I don’t have personal experience with them but generally there are only 2 or 3 public high schools in AISD that are considered acceptable (Anderson, Bowie, and maybe McCallum). The area where your job is located is close to these schools but as far as housing stock that is going to meet your needs, it might be tricky.

I would recommend looking in west Round Rock specifically in areas zoned to Round Rock or McNeil High School. Both have excellent elementary and middle schools that feed into them. Since your kids are elementary age I would checkout Brushy Creek, Great Oaks, Fern Bluff, Deepwood, Sommer and England Elementary Schools. There are plenty of homes in your range and are in extremely family friendly areas with lots of parks, trails, and activities. Your commute would be closer to 30 mins but there are several routes you can take to get back and forth.

Cedar Park and parts of Pflugerville could meet your needs as well but I’m not as familiar with the schools or neighborhoods. Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin