Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 PM

577 posts, read 456,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I completely understand what you are getting at; everywhere is becoming anywhere, USA. But what I think a lot of people (especially those who have lived here for awhile) don’t realize is how much “Austinization” has happened to cities nationwide. I know it’s not just Austin, but sort of a combination of Austin/Seattle/Portland which has had a lot of influence on the anyplace, USA utopian model of a vibrant city. The Whole Foods shopping, food truck eating, funky coffee shop and craft brewery visiting, 5 star American fusion BBQ restaurant opening, scooter riding, dog loving, millennial culture has a lot of Austin in it. And it’s everywhere now.

But we had a lot of that before others did. You’re welcome rest of America.
Yeah, I really don't think Austin started any of the things you listed, honestly. Whole foods would be the only one, and that's just a popular grocery chain that was founded in Austin. From what I've seen, most of these trends start on the coasts and eventually work their way down to Texas. If I had to guess, I'd imagine a lot of these things become popular in areas like Williamsburg.

Austin is just copying the trends like all other cities are doing.

Last edited by DPatel304; 01-14-2020 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Yeah, I really don't think Austin started any of the things you listed, honestly. Whole foods would be the only one, and that's just a popular grocery chain that was founded in Austin. From what I've seen, most of these trends start on the coasts and eventually work their way down to Texas. If I had to guess, I'd imagine a lot of these things become popular in areas like Williamsburg.
That’s a conclusion you might make if you look at Austin now. I can totally see how you might think that. But trust me, it’s the other way around. I remember living in Dallas and Houston in the 80s and 90s, where places like Deep Ellum or Montrose were typically described as... “It’s cool, it kind of feels like Austin...”

It’s only recently that anyone would say something like “Meh, it’s the same as Houston/Dallas” in reference to anything related to Austin. But that doesn’t mean it’s not true now. Just means most places have become a little more like Austin, or similar cities. Part of a trend, sure. But there is a lot of Austin in that trend.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
That’s a conclusion you might make if you look at Austin now. I can totally see how you might think that. But trust me, it’s the other way around. I remember living in Dallas and Houston in the 80s and 90s, where places like Deep Ellum or Montrose were typically described as... “It’s cool, it kind of feels like Austin...”
That doesn't sound right at all. Deep Ellum has a long and rich musical history dating as far back as the 1920s, I believe. The only time I've heard people say 'its like Austin' is probably within the past few years, and that's simply from people who likely don't venture out a lot and realize that this isn't an 'austin thing' its just something all cities across the world look like now.

Quote:
It’s only recently that anyone would say something like “Meh, it’s the same as Houston/Dallas” in reference to anything related to Austin. But that doesn’t mean it’s not true now. Just means most places have become a little more like Austin, or similar cities. Part of a trend, sure. But there is a lot of Austin in that trend.
Again, Austin did not start any of these things. Perhaps you experienced a lot of things first in Austin, but that doesn't mean that's where they originated.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:47 PM

I realize this is just two sources and may not be accurate, but I don't see any mention of Austin in the history of food trucks:
https://mobile-cuisine.com/business/...n-food-trucks/
https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2015/09...of-food-trucks

I'm guessing the same would be true if about funky coffee shops, craft brewerys, dog lovers, etc..

Old 01-14-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I realize this is just two sources and may not be accurate, but I don't see any mention of Austin in the history of food trucks:
https://mobile-cuisine.com/business/...n-food-trucks/
https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2015/09...of-food-trucks

I'm guessing the same would be true if about funky coffee shops, craft brewerys, dog lovers, etc..
Sure, and Apple didn’t invent the MP3 player. I’m not saying Austin invented the food truck.

What I’m saying is that after 25 years of being on all these city top 10 lists, with basically the same paragraphs about what makes Austin so “cool”, it is no wonder that so many other cities have tried to emulate that vibe.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That doesn't sound right at all. Deep Ellum has a long and rich musical history dating as far back as the 1920s, I believe. The only time I've heard people say 'its like Austin' is probably within the past few years, and that's simply from people who likely don't venture out a lot and realize that this isn't an 'austin thing' its just something all cities across the world look like
LOVE talking Deep Ellum stuff. Yes, it has a rich musical history as you stated — but like so many downtowns, especially in the sun belt, downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum were completely destroyed by the interstate highway system and white flight moving everything away from the city center. In the late 80’s, when I was fortunate enough to play at clubs such as Clearview, and the Trees (met Paul Simon there with his wife Edie Brickell!!) it was just starting to come back. It was gritty, dangerous, and cheap. And the vibe that we were part of down there, young bands/singer/songwriter type folks playing in art gallery/psychedelic type venues, it was very much compared to Austin at the time.

I will give you that my experience in Deep Ellum was nothing like Austin despite what people said. It was unique, the kind of urban dystopian environment that only a city of the size of Dallas could have. However in the years since then, it’s moved more to like what Austin is now than the other way around. Safer, expensive, trendy millennial experience.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
LOVE talking Deep Ellum stuff. Yes, it has a rich musical history as you stated — but like so many downtowns, especially in the sun belt, downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum were completely destroyed by the interstate highway system and white flight moving everything away from the city center. In the late 80’s, when I was fortunate enough to play at clubs such as Clearview, and the Trees (met Paul Simon there with his wife Edie Brickell!!) it was just starting to come back. It was gritty, dangerous, and cheap. And the vibe that we were part of down there, young bands/singer/songwriter type folks playing in art gallery/psychedelic type venues, it was very much compared to Austin at the time.

I will give you that my experience in Deep Ellum was nothing like Austin despite what people said. It was unique, the kind of urban dystopian environment that only a city of the size of Dallas could have. However in the years since then, it’s moved more to like what Austin is than the other way around.
That's basically the crux of my argument. Maybe people used to say Deep Ellum was like Austin, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. People may also insist that Austin popularized things like scooters, craft brewerys, dog loving, funky coffee shops, food truck eating, etc, but, again, that doesn't make it true. Even in 2020, people still will say Austin is unique and weird, but that doesn't make it true.

I think I'd buy into your argument a lot more if I visited places like Portland, LA, and Brooklyn and people in those cities were crediting Austin for popularizing all the things you've listed. That's definitely not the case though.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I think I'd buy into your argument a lot more if I visited places like Portland, LA, and Brooklyn and people in those cities were crediting Austin for popularizing all the things you've listed.
No, I’m not talking Portland, LA or Brooklyn as borrowing Austin Culture. Although Portland did steal “Keep Austin Weird” from us. Wouldn’t be surprised if Brooklyn stole it too, you can do the google search. What I am saying is “IT” cities like Austin, Portland, and Brooklyn are responsible for defining the current “cool city” template that is being reproduced in every city in America.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
No, I’m not talking Portland, LA or Brooklyn as borrowing Austin Culture. Although Portland did steal “Keep Austin Weird” from us. Wouldn’t be surprised if Brooklyn stole it too, you can do the google search. What I am saying is “IT” cities like Austin, Portland, and Brooklyn are responsible for defining the current “cool city” template that is being reproduced in every city in America.
Brooklyn and LA (and maybe other major cities) generally start these trends and eventually they trickle their way down to cities like Austin.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point. I just see Austin as any other city just following the trend set by more trendier parts of the country.

This has kinda derailed from my original question was: What makes Austin unique, and it sounds like the answer is that it's not unique. I suppose we can go back and forth as to how much of a trend setter the city used to be, but whatever your opinion is, that's really all the past. I will agree that decades ago, Austin did used to be unique/weird/laid back and all the things it still claims to be, but I feel that was lost ~15 years ago. For whatever reason, people seem to still want to insist that the city is unqiue and weird but I just don't see what they are talking about, and it also makes me doubtful when people say things like Austin is (partially) responsible for definining the 'cool city' template.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:24 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Brooklyn and LA (and maybe other major cities) generally start these trends and eventually they trickle their way down to cities like Austin.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point. I just see Austin as any other city just following the trend set by more trendier parts of the country.

This has kinda derailed from my original question was: What makes Austin unique, and it sounds like the answer is that it's not unique. I suppose we can go back and forth as to how much of a trend setter the city used to be, but whatever your opinion is, that's really all the past. I will agree that decades ago, Austin did used to be unique/weird/laid back and all the things it still claims to be, but I feel that was lost ~15 years ago. For whatever reason, people seem to still want to insist that the city is unqiue and weird but I just don't see what they are talking about, and it also makes me doubtful when people say things like Austin is (partially) responsible for definining the 'cool city' template.
Well we have the only Grand Prix in the USA! We like F1 instead of NASCAR. That should tell you right there. Also this was not 10-15 years ago, still happening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin