Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:34 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
For me, that was the kicker. If I had the resources, being somewhat strapped financially, I wouldn't mind being an expatriate, and I see Toronto was on your short list. I could really handle somewhere urbane, and yet exotic and far off, like Buenos Aires, Rio de Jainero, Sydney, Melbourne, Paris, London, Rome, Milan, or such. The nice thing about Austin is that its different, somewhat off the beaten path for other US regions, and unique. An interesting question is where you would live if money was no question, and you could telecommute from anywhere. This would open up small cities and exurban/rural areas.

And glad to see you dug Eeyore's BD, Twange........don't forget Pecan st. fest next weekend as well. You are currently in Austin's high season for festivals,
which slows down in the summer, picking up again in early fall with ACL festival...!
If money was no object, I'd have a small flat in NYC, a junky ranch somewhere out in New Mexico(maybe even Wyoming, Colorado, Montana or Nevada), and then I would spend a month every year renting some place in Europe, South America, Iceland, Japan, New Zealand, India...wherever. Then again, money is always an object

You know, I forgot to mention Montreal. What a fantastic city. I've got family there and visiting as a young teenager, it probably had more to do with my idea of a great city than all of the traveling I've done since. Awesome, public transportation, pedestrian-oriented cobblestone streets, amazing architecture, all-night cafe's, music, great food...Canadian cities are really nice. Not too big to be unlivable, but large enough to provide world-class opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 01:48 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I thought you were going to stop over-analyzing Austin and why people come here

I had that thought myself (checked the date of the post to make sure) and then thought, as a fellow sufferer, ah, it's an addiction. You can't just quit cold turkey without risking serious damage.

I remember snowbirds from back when I was a child (first time I heard the term, and I loved the idea of being free to do that, so it stuck with me). That would have been in the 1950's, and they were mostly in the Rio Grande Valley. So this isn't a new phenomenon, as far as those seeking to escape the snow are concerned - it's just that then, they went back up in the summer rather than living here permanently.

By the way, I was a longtimer for decades longer than I've been a real estate agent, and if you'll take careful note of my posts, I'm not "selling Austin" as far as encouraging the Mongol Hordes to move here just so I can make a buck. And I've been here a LOT longer than Steve! Real estate agents aren't clones, you know - we do have thoughts and opinions that have to do with being Real People just like you!
Yes, its an addiction! Lasted about 2 days I think! I am on here so often, though! Hard to wean off, as it is easy to check in every couple hours and add more comments. Well, sounds like you guys enjoy reading my posts anyway. And THL, please don't think I single you out on here! You know I sold RE full time for close to a decade, and have great respect for the biz. Its just that I see so many agents trying to post in the guise of helping, when they are just trolling for business, and, while my license is active, I'm not practicing it right now, and refrain from hitting anyone for biz, though maybe I should. I won't mention it anymore, as I can see you really love Austin, respect the growth issues and all. I don't see as many agents on here anymore, so maybe things are slowing up. I will say that RE is one of the hardest jobs around, if one plans on making a decent living out of it.No guarantees of anything per money, no benefits, 401K, insurance, or even the chance to make the same income the next year. Very hard business. And so much competition the last 6-7 years with all the new agents. I started in '95, and until about '01, it was not anywhere near saturated with agents. We used to get 24 hours a month of floor time if we wanted it, and people called for info and mls lists in those days too. It was pretty easy to get leads off floor time then. Now, SO much harder.......

Old 04-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
If money was no object, I'd have a small flat in NYC, a junky ranch somewhere out in New Mexico(maybe even Wyoming, Colorado, Montana or Nevada), and then I would spend a month every year renting some place in Europe, South America, Iceland, Japan, New Zealand, India...wherever. Then again, money is always an object

You know, I forgot to mention Montreal. What a fantastic city. I've got family there and visiting as a young teenager, it probably had more to do with my idea of a great city than all of the traveling I've done since. Awesome, public transportation, pedestrian-oriented cobblestone streets, amazing architecture, all-night cafe's, music, great food...Canadian cities are really nice. Not too big to be unlivable, but large enough to provide world-class opportunities.
Funny you mention the "month every year" option, Twange. I was planning on it as a possibility if I could save say 10-15K or so, and do Buenos for a month(600K for months rent of apartments right by the "Red House", where Evita addressed the masses), San Juan, Melbourne(right on the beach for 800 month us$), and such........I say you only live once, and, with no family, why not make hay out of it? My dream is to set something up web based, so I can do all that and travel/live anywhere.....probably a fools dream, but anything is possible......

Here are some Craig's links to some cheap month rentals internationally:

puerto rico sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

buenos aires sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

caribbean islands sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

sydney sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

paris sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

montreal sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

rio de janeiro sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

I would say that the last one, in Rio, is the most intriquing. I know it can be dangerous, but, wow. staying across the street from Ipanema and cocacabana? I mean, WOW! I'm there, If I can swing the cheap 800-1200$
a month rent for 60 days or so!

Look at these two!

Enjoy the sun from your own terrace - Charming small penthouse! (http://rio.en.craigslist.org/sub/629232438.html - broken link)

Gorgeous little penthouse near the beach with ADSL (broken link)

Living la dolce vita indeed!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 40,560 times
Family, friends and acquaintances said:

1) Austin is a cool, progressive, liberal city unlike other cities in TX.

2) The cost of living is so much better in Austin (as compared to the SF bay area).

3) There aren't any Asians or good Asian food in Austin (as compared to the SF bay area).

4) Austin is a lot like Madison, WI but bigger and more cosmopolitan.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Funny you mention the "month every year" option, Twange. I was planning on it as a possibility if I could save say 10-15K or so, and do Buenos for a month(600K for months rent of apartments right by the "Red House", where Evita addressed the masses), San Juan, Melbourne(right on the beach for 800 month us$), and such........I say you only live once, and, with no family, why not make hay out of it? My dream is to set something up web based, so I can do all that and travel/live anywhere.....probably a fools dream, but anything is possible......

Here are some Craig's links to some cheap month rentals internationally:

puerto rico sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

buenos aires sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

caribbean islands sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

sydney sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

paris sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

montreal sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

rio de janeiro sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

I would say that the last one, in Rio, is the most intriquing. I know it can be dangerous, but, wow. staying across the street from Ipanema and cocacabana? I mean, WOW! I'm there, If I can swing the cheap 800-1200$
a month rent for 60 days or so!

Look at these two!

Enjoy the sun from your own terrace - Charming small penthouse! (http://rio.en.craigslist.org/sub/629232438.html - broken link)

Gorgeous little penthouse near the beach with ADSL (broken link)

Living la dolce vita indeed!

Wow. Wife and I are discussing! Actually, our next trip is probably an anniversary celebration in Italy. Rent a Tuscan villa and take day trips out to the other cities...

Sorry, this is veering off topic...

Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailieh View Post
Family, friends and acquaintances said:

1) Austin is a cool, progressive, liberal city unlike other cities in TX.

2) The cost of living is so much better in Austin (as compared to the SF bay area).

3) There aren't any Asians or good Asian food in Austin (as compared to the SF bay area).

4) Austin is a lot like Madison, WI but bigger and more cosmopolitan.
1.) is correct partially. Austin is progessive, but the other cities are not exactly Stalingrad per cold war. Houston is pretty much free-wheeling and nuts, no zoning laws, people probably weirder than Austinites. Dallas IS Stalingrad. Ft. Worth is cool, and very under the radar. El Pasoans are in their own little big bend world, San Antonio is so laid back it seems to be on 24 hour siesta(or should I say fiesta)? But yes, Austin is most "politically" progessive, though the burbs are red state as dallas.
2.)True......no contest per $$$
3.)False.....Austin is 13% asian.....almost more than african-americans....and there is plenty of good asian food, though obviously the bay area has the whole nation beat in that regard.
4.)False.......it is not like madison, wisc....not only is it not the arctic in winter, but it is far more music orientated, far more outdoorsy, and far more southern......Austin is more southern than people think...the food, the lifestyle, the friendliness....Madison folks can be very reserved and non-animated. Not the same in Austin. And it is not more cosmopolitan, as it is mostly anglo-white, hispanic, black, and a bit asian. If you consider cosmopolitan LA, SF, Chicago, and NYC, you would see that Austin is pretty much a white anglo dominated culture. The hispanic presence is largely confined to the east end, and not noticable. The Asians seem to congregate in the North and Northwest, and mostly keep to themselves.
They will call me un-PC for saying that, but thats the reality of it....!

Hope that answers your talking points!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
The hispanic presence is largely confined to the east end, and not noticable.
Eh, might have to disagree with you a bit on that. I think that the hispanic presence is pretty strong here. Now, there are certainly a lot who live East of 35 but I would hardly call there presence "un-noticable".

Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Eh, might have to disagree with you a bit on that. I think that the hispanic presence is pretty strong here. Now, there are certainly a lot who live East of 35 but I would hardly call there presence "un-noticable".
I think that came out wrong......if anything, its really an economic wall, and the gentrification of east austin is pushing many long-timers out of there. It certainly isn't like San Antonio,in which they are a very palpable presence, and a majority in city government and the business community, or El Paso. Austin would have to be the most anglo orientated Texas major city, with the 3 bigger ones far more diverse. Also, UT doesn't have a large hispanic presence as well, which is more again of an economic wall than anything else.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I think that came out wrong......if anything, its really an economic wall, and the gentrification of east austin is pushing many long-timers out of there. It certainly isn't like San Antonio,in which they are a very palpable presence, and a majority in city government and the business community, or El Paso. Austin would have to be the most anglo orientated Texas major city, with the 3 bigger ones far more diverse. Also, UT doesn't have a large hispanic presence as well, which is more again of an economic wall than anything else.
Without doing any real research - I'm in the middle of a lazy Sunday, reading Sagan's Contact - that probably sounds more accurate.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM

53 posts, read 174,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Thank you. I do think my sister is afraid of being alone. Her kids have left the nest and her husband works alot of OT and she is alone. We talk every few days on the phone, so I am sure that won't change. The only thing that will change is visiting her, but I only visit her now every other month. We live 1 hr apart from one another. She said she will never visit me in TX...oh well...I'm not changing my mind about my move! All my other family members are very supportive of my move and plan to visit!
Sounds to me that shes trying to get under your skin.... she'll come see ya!!! I'll bet ya.... I don't visit my sister that much either, she lives about 45 mins from me and I'm only 7 miles from my mom and step dad, and I see my mom about once every 2 months.... hahah I can only handle so much of her.... but its funny how mad they are at me if I go? I don't get it... If my sister wanted to move with her family to be happier and not struggle anymore I would sooo be for her to do it... and I would visit any chance I got...
I wish they could do that for me... but good luck to you on your move... you'll be so much happier and your sis will come around, you guys sound close and that won't ever change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin