Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 04:32 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,400,006 times

Advertisements

Before the pandemic, the value of an American life used in the insurance industry was about $10 million dollars. This value was determined by economists based on the preferences of Americans. Eg, if a job had a 1/1000 chance of death, an average american would be willing to take that chance for about $10,000.

So, by that metric, 1.5 million deaths would be the economic equivalent of 15 trillion dollars, which is 3/4 of the US GDP.

The point being, 1.5 million deaths would be a massive, massive cost to the country. That is not a drop in the bucket in any way.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "lockdown" as it was originally implemented, but the idea that we can live our lives 100% normal and whatever happens, happens, is an even worse strategy I think. It does bother me that people (Trump supporters?) think wearing a mask in a grocery store is such a big deal. That seems like the absolute easiest thing we can do to curtail spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 05:17 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
It appears mask wearing or not knows no age or political limits.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:52 PM

319 posts, read 346,246 times
A poster wrote:

"The trajectory goes up, Texas is #6 in the nation for cases (surpassing many other states) yet Abbott, in a stratasphere occupied by himself, continues to aggressively reopen places at increasing capacity as if the data doesn't exist."

It's unfortunate that some people are so politically biased that they ruin a rational discussion.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:39 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
I don't see why those who are wearing masks are worried about those who are not. Let the none mask wearers be.

@Trainwreck20, I'm not sure how you would make someone uncomfortable by just staring at them. Quite frankly the only thing the other person is seeing is someone looking at them, and from their perspective it more looks like you're terrified of the person without the masks, rather than a scolding. If someone made eye contact with me, I'd smile and nod because we're in Texas. If you're making eye contact while scolding, then it probably just makes you come across as a mean and angry person. Additionally, at this point the non-mask wearing population has become normalized to being around people with masks, and the occasional attempt by someone to shame them into using one.

Also, usage differs by regions. One block might have all mask wearers, and the next might be maybe 25%. I've witnessed this personally. Another point, is it could be a cultural thing. In Islamic society (and others), there can be the view point that it's God's will if you die, regardless of what you do. So, do you chastise them for their beliefs? Should you hate someone for their lasseiz-faire approach to life?

Another question for the mask wearers, and my biggest issue with wearing a mask. For how long? Vaccine's not guaranteed. So is the plan to wear a mask for the foreseeable future? For some, that's preposterous. Wearing a mask for a virus with such a low mortality rate indefinitely? I'd take my chances with the virus, rather than spending years staring at masked strangers everywhere. Then again, that goes back to a cultural issue, and one's views on what it is to live and how to live life in general. We're all different, so there's no sense in vilifying non-mask wears and calling them names just because they approach life differently.
The way masks work is that they protect other people from your germs. Not wearing one basically says, "I don't care if other people get sick."
Attached Thumbnails
Official Austin COVID-19 thread and discussion.-mask.jpg  

Old 06-15-2020, 07:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
A poster wrote:

"The trajectory goes up, Texas is #6 in the nation for cases (surpassing many other states) yet Abbott, in a stratasphere occupied by himself, continues to aggressively reopen places at increasing capacity as if the data doesn't exist."

It's unfortunate that some people are so politically biased that they ruin a rational discussion.
Uh I didn’t mention politics at all. Give me a break. I criticized Abbott’s decisions and I could not give a flip what party he’s affiliated with.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:50 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Before the pandemic, the value of an American life used in the insurance industry was about $10 million dollars. This value was determined by economists based on the preferences of Americans. Eg, if a job had a 1/1000 chance of death, an average american would be willing to take that chance for about $10,000.

So, by that metric, 1.5 million deaths would be the economic equivalent of 15 trillion dollars, which is 3/4 of the US GDP.

The point being, 1.5 million deaths would be a massive, massive cost to the country. That is not a drop in the bucket in any way.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "lockdown" as it was originally implemented, but the idea that we can live our lives 100% normal and whatever happens, happens, is an even worse strategy I think. It does bother me that people (Trump supporters?) think wearing a mask in a grocery store is such a big deal. That seems like the absolute easiest thing we can do to curtail spread.
you are off by a decimal, it would be 1.5 trillion. Even so, those utility numbers have nothing to do with economic value to society.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
you are off by a decimal, it would be 1.5 trillion. Even so, those utility numbers have nothing to do with economic value to society.
1.5 million x 10 million is 15 trillion

Old 06-16-2020, 06:38 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Well, not exactly a 'silver bullet', but it looks like something useful, at least:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

Old 06-16-2020, 07:38 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
A poster wrote:

Any "rational discussion" is impossible with the irrationality that exists in plain sight.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:11 AM

181 posts, read 159,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
This comes across as extremely disingenuous. If you actually respected a viewpoint that's dependent on everyone cooperating, cooperation would outweigh the small inconvenience. It's fine if you're taking a purely self-centered approach to the situation, but own up to it.
I don't have time at the moment to get into circular discussions with the standard COVID responses, but as this was a comment on my character I thought I'd briefly respond. I'll use an example, I don't have to practice someone's religion to respect it. I also don't have to agree with another person's political views to respect them. Some have one view, and others view things differently, and I think that's great; it's called diversity. Diversity of thought helps us from getting caught up in group think. I think that's the biggest problem facing our society today. For whatever reason, if you disagree with someone you are an "idiot, ignorant, selfish, and possibly bigoted". It's easy to just censor and shame.

Call it self-centered, but in my situation I just use the information I collect, add what I'm seeing in person (I'm considered essential so I've been in major/mid-sized/rural Texas cities), throw in some perspective/context/experience, and make decisions based on a combination of those. If my resulting actions make me appear self-centered, then so be it.

On a side note, where I'm at right now, the only place I've seen masks is at the hospital. Where I was before in a suburban city had 25% masks usage, in the last major city (similar situation as Austin) all of the employees had masks, but only the HEB in an affluent area had about 90% masks, other major city areas tough to say but 25-50%. Needless to say, it's been interesting to see the different approaches in different regions. I look forward to a few years down the line when the numbers harden up; as to what conclusions will be drawn.

Anyway, enjoy the discussion folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin