Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My son & DIL just dropped off a load of Stiles Switch BBQ... 2 huge beef ribs, 4 links jalapeño sausage, a half pound of brisket, a half chicken, plus 4 pint-size sides and a loaf of bread.

I gotta say, after tasting the brisket it is Franklin-worthy. Better than the other two times we had it there. Tasted the beef rib too, delicious & falling off the bone.

The sides? Dunno, they are just a distraction to me, so I’ll just have a spoonful each and the wife can have the rest of them.
I never found a side at Stiles that I cared for...the creamy cole slaw was the best of the bunch, IMO. That's ONE reason the TGT group doesn't go there very often(I vote against it ).

Actually, I DO consider the sides at any BBQ place(unless you are just picking up meat to go). I'd like to enjoy the whole meal, not just the entree. The quality of the iced tea is another factor. Stiles' tea was actually pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The Round Rock Salt Lick I will not go to. Nothing like the original.

Blacks in Lockhart is probably the best in that town (which doesn't really live up to its reputation as a 'cue Mecca, in my opinion), but I haven't had the Blacks in Austin.

If I were taking my family for 'cue in Austin, I'd take them to Stiles Switch. Better yet, out to Georgetown to Jimmy Vega's.

Well, it almost took a year; but we finally made it to Jimmy Vega's today!! DW got her Covid shot in Harker Heights and we asked about lunch places up there. It's chain city along the highway and we didn't want to go exploring; so we headed back toward town and I remembered this thread. A zig and a zag and we were there!!!

Got the sampler plate and enjoyed it all. To me, the lean brisket called for sauce and theirs is a tiny bit sweet(my preference). I think a moist cut would be fantastic alone. Ribs were excellent, sausage interesting and tasty, loin was good but predictably uninspired (more sauce, but not too much was needed). Potato salad and slaw were remarkably similar in flavor, although the slaw had a touch of sweetness...again, my preference).
They have a simple syrup-type sweetener for the iced tea...cool. All in all, a very satisfying experience!

ETA: Slightly louder than usual music playing from the vinyl collection(we were there just before the 2:30 closing, so the music was flying!). They said there was even some Neil Diamond in the collection for our next visit!

Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,052,648 times
I like plain ol' "Blacks" on Guadalupe. Was just there last week.

I went to Terry Blacks on Barton Springs once, but never returned. It wasn't that good for the price, in my personal opinion.

I drive past Salt Lick several times a week coming to/from Austin from Wimberley. It has never occured to me to stop there. I think of it more as a tourist destination.

My favorite go to "BBQ Joint" is Green Mesquite on Barton Springs. It won't win any "best" BBQ awards, but I've been eating there since 1985 when it was called PeeWees (I think - my memory is fading). It's just a reliably consistent decent BBQ "Joint" with longterm staff and, to me, is what I want when popping into a place for lunch, taking an out of town client for lunch, or meeting a friend or my kids for lunch or dinner.

Steve

Old 03-09-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My favorite go to "BBQ Joint" is Green Mesquite on Barton Springs. It won't win any "best" BBQ awards, but I've been eating there since 1985 when it was called PeeWees (I think - my memory is fading). It's just a reliably consistent decent BBQ "Joint" with longterm staff and, to me, is what I want when popping into a place for lunch, taking an out of town client for lunch, or meeting a friend or my kids for lunch or dinner.

Steve
Interesting...Green Mesquite was the second place I wanted to try when we moved here in '08. First was Flip Happy...both praised by the Food Network and Bobby Flay.

We must have caught GM on a bad day...pretty boring stuff and staff. I had much better food and service at the Round Rock location in later years(alas, they are closed).

Old 03-10-2021, 05:44 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Interesting...Green Mesquite was the second place I wanted to try when we moved here in '08. First was Flip Happy...both praised by the Food Network and Bobby Flay.

We must have caught GM on a bad day...pretty boring stuff and staff. I had much better food and service at the Round Rock location in later years(alas, they are closed).
Green Mesquite was never one of my favorites, partially due to puny portions and high prices although I don't remember it being outstanding or anything the few times I went there.

I never thought of Salt Lick as outstanding, but it was generally good and the location was awesome on a fall afternoon with live music playing and a cooler .

Old 03-10-2021, 09:29 AM

16 posts, read 22,334 times
The best BBQ I had so far was Louie Mueller Bbq in Taylor and Snow's in Lexington. Smitty's or Kruetz in Lockhart is decent.
For me Franklin is an overpriced mediocre bbq and Black's is as prolific as taco stands.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:52 PM

27 posts, read 27,914 times
It's sort of odd to pick out those two. There are two "Blacks" in Austin, both are very good in my opinion and well represent the central texas brisket tradition, the one by the drag is more consistent imo. Salt Lick has their own take on BBQ, and outside of their sauce and bread, I'm not the biggest fan. The driftwood location is fun because it's a bit of an event, but the food is not that special.

Other locations to consider in Austin are Stiles Switch (get the beef rib), La Barbecue, and Franklins (obviously) and, well.. I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, but Rudy's is pretty solid, especially if you order "moist, outside cut", which means the point / fatty part of the brisket with extra bark.

Why should you listen to me? I've been in Austin 20+ years and am a brisket nerd, I've been to most all the central texas places and smoke my own brisket.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:46 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
I agree that Franklin's is the best. Order ahead and you may be able to bypass the line. You used to be able to do that if you were ordering a whole brisket.

I would say Salt Lick in Driftwood just for the experience. Nice drive, almost like a picnic with bringing your own cooler.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:48 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,052,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclegg View Post
It's sort of odd to pick out those two. There are two "Blacks" in Austin, both are very good in my opinion and well represent the central texas brisket tradition, the one by the drag is more consistent imo. Salt Lick has their own take on BBQ, and outside of their sauce and bread, I'm not the biggest fan. The driftwood location is fun because it's a bit of an event, but the food is not that special.

Other locations to consider in Austin are Stiles Switch (get the beef rib), La Barbecue, and Franklins (obviously) and, well.. I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, but Rudy's is pretty solid, especially if you order "moist, outside cut", which means the point / fatty part of the brisket with extra bark.

Why should you listen to me? I've been in Austin 20+ years and am a brisket nerd, I've been to most all the central texas places and smoke my own brisket.
I agree about Rudy’s. That’s my main go to place. I always joke that it’s the “Honda Accord“ of barbecue. Incredibly reliable and consistent and good enough.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:12 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I agree about Rudy’s. That’s my main go to place. I always joke that it’s the “Honda Accord“ of barbecue. Incredibly reliable and consistent and good enough.
because rudys and salt lick let you pick your cut I generally get better brisket at those places (more moist). I only ever order franklin for takeout.

The best brisket I have ever had was at kemuri tatsuya. I had one piece that was phenomenal. I do think it is around $3-4 for a sushi sized piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin