Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,577 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently took a job with Apple in Austin and will be relocating shortly. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on top considerations and area recommendations.

Quickly on me: mid-30s, Asian American with wife and two kids (both under 5). Total compensation in mid-200k area but have made a habit of living on my cash salary of 150k. Wife doesn't work. We're targeting 500k or lower for a 4bd+ but can flex up to 750k for something we really love.

Some priorities for us:

Proximity to work -- would prefer no more than a 20min drive during commuting hours

Schools -- planning on sending our kids to public school so school district is a top priority

Asian American community -- looking for a diverse demographic, especially with a decent sized Asian community

Growing region -- we generally prefer a younger and exciting region over a stodgy established one. I realize DT Austin is going to be much livelier, but we're set on the burb life so any semblance of a vibrant growing community will do. What kind of change (if any) should one expect to see in North Austin over the next 5yrs?

Proximity to activities -- somewhat related to the prior point. Basically look to be within a 15-20min drive to an area with fun restaurants, bars, entertainment. We enjoy going out and are pretty social.

Based on research so far we are looking at the burbs north of Austin eg Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park. Would love any thoughts around the intricacies of the towns in these areas as I realize they're quite big. We've lately been focused on west Round Rock given the schools, proximity to work (and to the H-Mart at Lakeline!), and more solid foundations(?) the houses are set on, supposedly.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 08:17 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Rent. Don’t buy right now. You will be eaten alive. Everyone wants to be where you need to be.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:34 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
I'd say Avery Ranch or Brushy Creek would be the best logistically as it puts you on Parmer with access to Apple, and also Domain. Cedar Park and Round Rock would be my second choice. Pflugerville would be my third.

That stated, choices may be out of the window right now. You are about to enter a heavily contested Real Estate market, even at your budget you may find it difficult, if not impossible to purchase right now.

I personally feel if you can purchase, do so - but be prepared to enter bidding wars and pay well over listing price. Noone can say for certain if this is going to end or not, or if it does end, where the new values of homes will lie.. ..but putting it out there that you may be 'forced' to rent if you have to start your new job soon.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:52 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Search This View Post
This one game am I happy be able to sit out. I was just telling one of my neighbors that this rat race is for suckers. It’s odd that people want to participate in this. One might as well place an anchor around their necks in this market.
Exactly! and most single people even if you make good money unless you have a very healthy savings you can hang it up! Or move way way out.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
the best schools for asians feed into westwood. You can buy a smaller older home in that area for 500, or the nicer newer homes for 750K. The domain has a good nightlife - like a second downtown. The problem with living far north is it limits how far south you can work.

I would look at balcones woods, great hills, oak knoll,angus valley area.

after that I would look at scofield farms, gracy farms, etc.

People say brushy, round rock, etc, they are far north.

Now is a bad time to buy. For example great hills has zero homes forsale which never happens. I would rent instead.

There are two homes in balcones woods for 600. They are walking distance to the domain which has bars and restaurants.

If the train is interesting to you, take a look at the $7B transit plan to see where the transit corridors are and try to live near those.

Last edited by Austin97; 02-13-2021 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 02:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I lived in Pflugerville (east of 35) for a decade and had no foundation issues. I wouldn't use foundations as a reason for choosing west round rock. Round Rock East also has good schools and just for reference, in my neighborhood (even without being zoned to a top high school), the homes are in the 500-700k range and they're at least thirty years old. That's if you can find one, there aren't any available.

Pflugerville is rapidly growing and has a big Asian American community (primarily Vietnamese). In fact, Viet is the third most spoken language after English and Spanish.

But RRE and Pflugerville are more than 20 minutes from Apple. So for proximity, Cedar Park and the part of Round Rock that is adjacent to north Austin would be the best bets for you.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
the best schools for asians feed into westwood. You can buy a smaller older home in that area for 500, or the nicer newer homes for 750K. The domain has a good nightlife - like a second downtown. The problem with living far north is it limits how far south you can work.

I would look at balcones woods, great hills, oak knoll,angus valley area.

after that I would look at scofield farms, gracy farms, etc.

People say brushy, round rock, etc, they are far north.

Now is a bad time to buy. For example great hills has zero homes forsale which never happens. I would rent instead.

There are two homes in balcones woods for 600. They are walking distance to the domain which has bars and restaurants.

If the train is interesting to you, take a look at the $7B transit plan to see where the transit corridors are and try to live near those.
The best schools in Austin feed into Westwood, regardless of demographic. And yes, very heavy Asian/Indian population.

If you google, look at the large neighborhood off Yaupon between Laurel Mountain Elementary and Old Spicewood Springs Road.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:13 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The best schools in Austin feed into Westwood, regardless of demographic. And yes, very heavy Asian/Indian population.

If you google, look at the large neighborhood off Yaupon between Laurel Mountain Elementary and Old Spicewood Springs Road.
the south part of yaupon past around spicebrush feeds into AISD. The dominion at great hills has jumped out of OP price range. There might be a few homes in the arbors at great hills that are older that feed into westwood, and are in budget.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
the south part of yaupon past around spicebrush feeds into AISD. The dominion at great hills has jumped out of OP price range. There might be a few homes in the arbors at great hills that are older that feed into westwood, and are in budget.
Yes, you're right. I had forgotten that.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I used to live in The Enclave at the top of Scotland Well. Very nice, fed into Spicewood Elementary, Canyon Vista middle and Westwood. Lots of Indian and Asian families. No idea how affordable it is now. Probably not but great area/schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin