Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
The only time the heat really bothers me is when I'm out trying to enjoy a festival like ACL or the Hot Sauce Festival. I'm still not sure why someone thought the end of August was a good time to have a Hot Sauce festival in Austin.
I've wondered that too about the Hot Sauce Festival -- it's usually miserably hot (except one years ago when it rained all day)... I also don't understand why they don't just charge an entrance fee to keep the crowd a little smaller. It gets so overcrowded and the lines for anything get terribly long. I think the organizers really wanted a torture festival: stand outside in line forever, in the middle of August, to taste something that will burn you. They just figured they'd get more people focusing on the hot sauce part rather than the torture part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I think it let up a little in the late afternoon today. The heat, haze and humidity was really bad around lunchtime.

Here is how sick/acclimated I've become: I get excited when it's really hot, because I like running in the heat. You can keep a nice slower pace, yet still feel like you are getting a tremendous workout. The runner's high (dehydration?) afterwards is great. Perhaps because of the slower pace or the atmospheric pressure, I never have a problem with muscle soreness or joint issues on days like that. And you'll be taking a shower anyway, so who cares how much you sweat. It's kind of cleansing to me.

Anyway, I was a little disappointed when I got to the trail at about 6pm... it seemed to have already cooled down a bit. Still a good run (always is), and there were many people on the trail doing the same...

Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
A little sweat and hard work makes you humble. I'm sure snow does the same thing up North - but I am not into the winter thing.
You bet. Hard work has no temperature barrier. The cold climate sure does sober one up right quick.

Your comment made me think of a Civil War quote I heard years ago, by Texas' very own Sam Houston to Texas Confederate soldiers:

Let me tell you what is coming. After the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives you may win Southern independence, but I doubt it. The North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche.

Now, I don't completely agree since I'm pretty impulsive and fiery...but you get my "drift"...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:03 AM

106 posts, read 476,157 times
I disagree... "it's" not here yet.

We always get a preview of "it" (July & August) in May.

It gets sticky, hot, miserable and so close you'd swear you were wearing a wool muffler. Sometimes it lasts for almost a week... sometimes it's half of May.

And then it breaks. Ahhhhhhh...

And June turns out to be just that more enjoyable because it's not 1,027 megaskajillion broiling degrees and the humidity isn't so high you could wring out concrete and get a cup of water.

This time in May reminds us to get out our coolest cotton clothes, get the A/C (car and home) serviced, stock up on sweet tea makings and start laying in a good pile of books and movies to read/watch during the misery known as JULY and AUGUST.

TX Griff

Old 05-10-2008, 06:56 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Griff View Post
I disagree... "it's" not here yet.

We always get a preview of "it" (July & August) in May.

It gets sticky, hot, miserable and so close you'd swear you were wearing a wool muffler. Sometimes it lasts for almost a week... sometimes it's half of May.

And then it breaks. Ahhhhhhh...

And June turns out to be just that more enjoyable because it's not 1,027 megaskajillion broiling degrees and the humidity isn't so high you could wring out concrete and get a cup of water.

This time in May reminds us to get out our coolest cotton clothes, get the A/C (car and home) serviced, stock up on sweet tea makings and start laying in a good pile of books and movies to read/watch during the misery known as JULY and AUGUST.

TX Griff
That's true - once the high pressure settles in, it will dry out. But before then, we deal with the humidity from the Gulf and sometimes we even get all the smoke from Mexico when they burn the fields. I can remember it being hot, humid, windy and smoky and that is possibly the worst combination ever!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
That's true - once the high pressure settles in, it will dry out. But before then, we deal with the humidity from the Gulf and sometimes we even get all the smoke from Mexico when they burn the fields. I can remember it being hot, humid, windy and smoky and that is possibly the worst combination ever!
If you don't mind, please have that high pressure in place around June 2nd. That's when we close on our new house and make the move from Atlanta. We understand heat(no day under 90 last August) but it sure would be nice to get settled in before the really warm stuff arrives! Thanks everso!

See you in a few weeks!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Griff View Post

TX Griff
Thanks for this VERY useful tip! It's so funny to me since up North this strategy(ritual?) is similar but in preparation for winter( stock up on books, movies, make sure the furnaces are working, buy plenty of rock salt for the steps, seal up the windows, etc...) My Uncle-in-Law put it this way to us last year: Summer here is like winter up North. There are some folks who like it, but most people spend most of their time in controlled environments and go from point A to B until it's over...

We might have modern ways of dealing with Mother Nature but she still rules with a firm hand

Last edited by twange; 05-10-2008 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-10-2008, 10:35 AM

93 posts, read 307,438 times
Yeah, I hear you this will be my first real hot summer here. I don't count last summer since it was mostly rain. I intend to go to Barton springs pool a lot and float around the 60 degree water and that will take the heat off of me.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
sometimes we even get all the smoke from Mexico when they burn the fields. I can remember it being hot, humid, windy and smoky and that is possibly the worst combination ever!
I remember being outside all day during a Mexican smoke year in Austin. The next day, I woke up, felt pretty dang dry. Started brushing my teeth I spit out BLACK toothpaste. I thought I had Ebola or something. I rinsed and rinsed, started coughing and coughed up more. Took forever to get the smoke residue out of my innards.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I love the temperature today...I can thaw out my creaky bones now . I don't really get sick of the heat until August or so, usually.
Im digging the heat, Im cold below around 78 degrees. Above 100 is pretty hot, but anything up to around 95 is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin