Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 07:39 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My son and his friends, Austin-born, have told me that San Antonio is much much closer to the Austin they remember growing up here than Austin is now. Those that live there have no desire at all to move back to the shell of "Austin vibe" that it has become now.
There are old Austin vibes, that is true, but you’re not getting the music or food scene in San Antonio. The culture is either Texan or Mexican-American. I met more Central Americans in Austin my first few months here than I ever did in my 24 plus years in San Antonio. One of the few things I miss the most is their trail system. They have a connected loop around the city and you can get on almost anywhere on the outskirts of the city and get in a solid double digit run/bike in. While town lake is fun, it would be even better if there was a solid way to connect shoal creek, Walnut Creek and violet crown without having to take surface streets. (You can get to the south end of Walnut Creek near Bolm and then get to fifth to pleasant valley…but it’s a solid 2-3 miles to connect…I’ve done it several times).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
THL you’re still missing the point entirely.

Your reasoning is legitimate if your entire case is for preserving the character of Austin.

Your reasoning is illigitimate if you have any case and issue against the housing cost of Austin metro while holding property and SELECTIVELY renting it out, especially if those tenants are only family members.

If you have a case and desire to hold the values of Austin I particularly have no beef or concern over it, but you cannot complain about housing costs and investors if you are a property holder who is selectively renting.
I’m not sure what your point is. You don’t know how much rent she’s charging. She is most likely charging market rate, which is appropriate. (She also doesn’t have to tell any of us what she’s charging her tenants). She’s not selling her house and she can do what she pleases. I’m sure I’ve run passed her house on a long Saturday run and been like, “Thank god that’s not a duplex.” Yes, Austin is changing. No, not everyone wants to change and that’s okay.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:47 AM

11,819 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I’m not sure what your point is. You don’t know how much rent she’s charging. She is most likely charging market rate, which is appropriate. (She also doesn’t have to tell any of us what she’s charging her tenants). She’s not selling her house and she can do what she pleases. I’m sure I’ve run passed her house on a long Saturday run and been like, “Thank god that’s not a duplex.” Yes, Austin is changing. No, not everyone wants to change and that’s okay.
It’s simple supply and demand. That’s the very reason housing is expensive. She plainly stated in her first post she charges less than market value, which I personally have 0 concern over either. If she wants to provide affordable housing or housing for people who care about Austin, THATS OKAY!

My issue is, she pretends that she is in some way better than the investors she calls greedy when her foot print in the RE market is literally no different than what they are doing.

If she wants to hold property and selectively rent I particularly do not care about this, but she is in no way different in her affect on the value of housing in the Austin market as any other investor.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There are old Austin vibes, that is true, but you’re not getting the music or food scene in San Antonio. The culture is either Texan or Mexican-American. I met more Central Americans in Austin my first few months here than I ever did in my 24 plus years in San Antonio. One of the few things I miss the most is their trail system. They have a connected loop around the city and you can get on almost anywhere on the outskirts of the city and get in a solid double digit run/bike in. While town lake is fun, it would be even better if there was a solid way to connect shoal creek, Walnut Creek and violet crown without having to take surface streets. (You can get to the south end of Walnut Creek near Bolm and then get to fifth to pleasant valley…but it’s a solid 2-3 miles to connect…I’ve done it several times).

My son and daughter-in-law are foodies and chefs who live in San Antonio (she originally from Houston, he from Austin but lived in NYC for a few years after college). You couldn't be more wrong about the food scene from what they talk about and the places they take us when we go down there. (Our grandson was a connoisseur by the age of three.) That may depend on what crowds you run in, of course.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:58 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
charging below market rent definitely improves affordability.

Even better is allowing two units where there is one. Even better is 4 units where there is one.

ashbeeigh being glad a particular house was not turned into a duplex, then being frustrated by lack affordability is ironic.

As N4C said, the only answer is building more capacity. I personally wouldnt keep fighting the code next upzoning battle, instead I would upzone everything east of 183 and allow 100K units to be built there. Upzoning before a bunch of SFH are built will be much easier.

Plan for transit, walkable living (disallow hub and spoke suburbs style construction) etc and the far east side will become a mecca for musicians, the creative class etc.

It is so simple it is frustrating.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
charging below market rent definitely improves affordability.

Even better is allowing two units where there is one. Even better is 4 units where there is one.

ashbeeigh being glad a particular house was not turned into a duplex, then being frustrated by lack affordability is ironic.

As N4C said, the only answer is building more capacity. I personally wouldnt keep fighting the code next upzoning battle, instead I would upzone everything east of 183 and allow 100K units to be built there. Upzoning before a bunch of SFH are built will be much easier.

Plan for transit, walkable living (disallow hub and spoke suburbs style construction) etc and the far east side will become a mecca for musicians, the creative class etc.

It is so simple it is frustrating.

Well, sure, if you want to destroy everything that makes Austin what it is (guess that boat has sailed anyway) and turn it into warehousing for people. At which point people will no longer want to live here and will move on to the next "in" place, rinse and repeat.

You don't really think that that would create a "mecca" for musicians, the creative class (who just LOVE living in ticky tacky blocks), etc., do you?

Old 12-09-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
My son and daughter-in-law are foodies and chefs who live in San Antonio (she originally from Houston, he from Austin but lived in NYC for a few years after college). You couldn't be more wrong about the food scene from what they talk about and the places they take us when we go down there. (Our grandson was a connoisseur by the age of three.) That may depend on what crowds you run in, of course.
It’s not the same type of food scene. But I’m going to see my way out of this thread because it’s a no win situation.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:21 AM

11,819 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Quote:
Well, sure, if you want to destroy everything that makes Austin what it is (guess that boat has sailed anyway) and turn it into warehousing for people. At which point people will no longer want to live here and will move on to the next "in" place, rinse and repeat.

You don't really think that that would create a "mecca" for musicians, the creative class (who just LOVE living in ticky tacky blocks), etc., do you?
and like I have stated before, there is nothing inherently wrong with your desire to preserve Austin’s character, but it does not come without consequence. This has been tried in so many places and consistently fails to provide affordability. If by preserving Austin’s character we limit supply, we automatically turn the market into a market where only high earners are able to afford housing. It’s an ironic cycle which severely agitates me when the same people who complain about preserving character ALSO complain about preserving affordability.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
and like I have stated before, there is nothing inherently wrong with your desire to preserve Austin’s character, but it does not come without consequence. This has been tried in so many places and consistently fails to provide affordability. If by preserving Austin’s character we limit supply, we automatically turn the market into a market where only high earners are able to afford housing. It’s an ironic cycle which severely agitates me when the same people who complain about preserving character ALSO complain about preserving affordability.

Do you understand that destroying Austin's character in the worship of the almighty dollar also has consequences?

Old 12-09-2021, 09:47 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
Do you understand that destroying Austin's character in the worship of the almighty dollar also has consequences?
But, of course, the answer is what?

An application required prior to moving to Austin to prove that you will be a musician or otherwise maintain its character?

A law requiring sellers to only sell to these people and and/or must sell way below what it would be worth on the open market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin