Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 03:18 AM

2,335 posts, read 817,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Welcome, but do not try to make Austin (and Texas) like the place you are escaping from. Adapt and assimilate.
I did 62 years ago.
With all due respect, it's laughable that you think you have some God given right to tell people how to think and behave.

Until there is some barrier put up that forbids people from moving into an area, they have the right to do what they want within the confines of the law. That includes running for city council, etc. Last I checked, there wasn't such a thing as squatter's rights

I don't honestly believe the vast majority move to an area to make a bunch of changes (more than likely, it's the opposite). It tends to be a nice little narrative that people like to bandy about on the internet though.

Last edited by dicipher; 12-12-2021 at 03:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:24 AM

11,855 posts, read 8,080,834 times
To be fair much of the change in TX culture comes from the State Government. They pretty much entice large companies (especially tech companies from the Bay Area) to come here while offering them tax incentives and in some cases even bribes… …some of them even go as far as to using Federal Grants to relocate here …then certain officials become ill willed when the employees or the talent they draw with them starts to change the area and voting demographics.

Positioning the blame on the people that move here is fighting the symptoms not the problem. Even if you get rid of one he would be quickly replaced by 10 more people.

That stated, most of the people moving to Austin are from Texas anyway… I can’t help but wonder how much they have changed Austin.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 531,695 times
yea those big bad companies relocating here creating jobs, better pay, increase in property values, wanting reduced government interference, lower taxes, lower workers comp fees, return shareholder value is their fault.

do you have a job? do you have more places to shop? has your house increased in value? i guess because you have yours nobody else can have theirs?

Old 12-12-2021, 08:07 AM

11,855 posts, read 8,080,834 times
I’m overall indifferent about it. I definitely am benefiting from the changes, but I also had to prop myself in a position to receive those benefits. Those who haven’t are receiving the opposite end of spectrum from these changes. Had I not prepared I wouldn’t be able to afford living here. Although admittedly even if that were the case I wouldn’t be terribly ill-tempered over it. Changes come with positive and negative attributes.

For Austin particularly, I’m not really shocked by the fact that it is changing but rather how quickly it is changing to a city that is probably among the most mal-prepared for change (I really need to do this in a poll in the cityvscity forum, would Austin make the top 5 cities that reject change in America?) although some of it is induced by events going on at global levels. I personally thought I would have more time before the home values went through the roof but fortunately decided to purchase literally right before that happened. I personally feel the changes in Austin basically exuberated existing issues, especially in the planning department, which is what is throwing everything so off balance.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:45 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
A drop would hurt more people than it helps. A drop would mean there was an economic downturn that is hurting everyone, renters and homeowners alike.

A drop in price of a $600K+ house wouldn't help anyone. You probably meant to say "more housing supply would help first time homebuyers" and that would be a true statement. More housing supply in low cost areas like the SH130 corridor would be the ideal scenario given our lousy infrastructure. 1400sf houses for $250K can be done. They won't be "forever" homes, but that's not what's needed right now.
That's not true. It could mean the market was oversold to begin with and/or much more new supply is coming online, a sign homebuilders feel they can offer more speculative inventory and make a profit.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:36 AM

539 posts, read 444,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
That's not true. It could mean the market was oversold to begin with and/or much more new supply is coming online, a sign homebuilders feel they can offer more speculative inventory and make a profit.
buildable lots go for 100K minimum, regardless of where you are looking. Expensive areas are 500K to several Million for buildable lots. The cost of construction is about 200K to 400K per square foot. You are looking at a minimum 300K to build a 1000sf in the cheapest area of Austin. You want go go cheaper? Then you are buildign modular housing (mobile homes, or tiny houses) which is not what most people want. You could build condos in far flung places, but those places are the first to become crime ridden ghettos.

Point is that something in that equation would have to give, and that would be a local economic downturn for the price of dirt to drop, or a national/global recession that dropped the price of commodities and labor in order for homes to be built for less than 200/sf

Old 12-13-2021, 11:45 AM

People aren't aware of how difficult and skill-intensive the homebuilding process is. If it was easy to build a house, then people would do it themselves instead of asking the government to magically create housign out of thin air. These crews are already building houses, they are backed up for 12 months in most caes, and are getting paid a LOT of money to build. The CoA is competing for these crews with the private sector, which is why the CoA will NEVER be able to create cheap housing like people think they can.

If you can't afford a house, I suggest you learn how to swing a hammer, and join a construction crew. Be part of the solution.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:56 AM

1,085 posts, read 696,810 times
Quote:
buildable lots go for 100K minimum, regardless of where you are looking. Expensive areas are 500K to several Million for buildable lots. The cost of construction is about 200K to 400K per square foot. You are looking at a minimum 300K to build a 1000sf in the cheapest area of Austin. You want go go cheaper? Then you are buildign modular housing (mobile homes, or tiny houses) which is not what most people want. You could build condos in far flung places, but those places are the first to become crime ridden ghettos.

Point is that something in that equation would have to give, and that would be a local economic downturn for the price of dirt to drop, or a national/global recession that dropped the price of commodities and labor in order for homes to be built for less than 200/sf
Your math is very wrong. Your assertion that condos become crime ridden ghettos is laughable.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Your math is very wrong. Your assertion that condos become crime ridden ghettos is laughable.
Many of the worst areas of Austin are filled with condos (including duplexes). Dove Springs, Rundberg, Westgate to name a few.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:16 PM

1,085 posts, read 696,810 times
Quote:
Many of the worst areas of Austin are filled with condos (including duplexes). Dove Springs, Rundberg, Westgate to name a few.
“Far flung places”

It’s laughable. My condo near campus is pretty damn far from “ghetto”, but after reading a bunch of your other drivel, I’m not sure we have the same sense of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin