Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2022, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 9,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My mother has a 2 bed 2 bath apartment in Cedar Park, the apartment is a wheelchair accessible apartment because my brother is wheelchair-bound. I used to live in Cedar Park but bought a home in Leander over 3 years ago. My mother has lived in Cedar Park for a little over 3 years and her lease renewal is in July and I've been helping her look at apartments and I'm seeing how much rent is going up in the area and it's insane. The same apartment she has is going for 1707.00 for rent in April and from my understanding, a lot of people are or will be experiencing significant rent increases this year. I'm trying to find out some other options for her maybe they have to move further out from Cedar Park/Leander to find more affordable apartments that are wheelchair accessible. Does anyone know if there are programs in Texas that could assist with rental assistance or something along those lines because my brother receives disability because he's wheelchair-bound. I know this post is all over the place but I'm just trying to help guide them in the right direction well before her 60-day notice. Thanks for any info that is provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 11:06 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Does your mom have a documented disability that could get SSDI for? Is she on a fixed income? If she is on a fixed income she could get on waiting lists for affordable and senior housing. I’m unsure what kind of rental assistance there might be for Williamson county. Most of the time rental assistance is for crisis situations where someone is behind on rent or being threatened with eviction. Low income/senior housing is probably going to be the only option. You could reach out to Family Eldercare or the Capitol area in aging to see if they have any insight. The Austin Tenant’s council has a great directory of income restricted properties on their website. It’s hard out there. Finally, I’ll offer finding a locator could be helpful too. Note most complexes don’t have their availability until 3 months out, so next month, if your mom is not going to renew her lease. Complexes don’t have their availability until residents put in their notice to not renew their lease.

I am a social worker and provide this same type of advice to clients regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin