Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times

Advertisements

Well, with the price of gas heading nowhere but UP, I can't imagine that families will continue ADDING cars necessitating a 3rd garage space, but I guess it would be cool for bikes, tools, etc. I'd never buy a house with one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 PM

14 posts, read 35,695 times
Take a peek in the garages that are open in Austin. Thy are filled w/ boxes lol. When I move to Austin someday I would love to have a 3 car garage.

Paul G.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
You're kidding, correct?

You can have a carport if you like, but I'd rather have my tools and potential projects in an enclosed, lockable space.
I have been reading and learning for a few months now. I am an 18 year Austin resident who is planning a move within Austin (from one central neighborhood to another) and that's how I found this site. I live in a three star green builder house that was designed to have a carport to promote community, roll your eyes, I know, but its part of New Urban design and it does work, I know my neighbors and we all watch out for each other. I have a locked shed that was built attached to the house but its a small urban lot, no lawnmowers. I have a big laundry room and a big attic.

To me anything beyond west of 360, north of 183 or south of William Cannon might as well be on Mars! But I do understand that folks live out there, and with garages, some even with (shudder) three bays!

OT: Did you hear oil hit $129 a barrel today?
s

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-21-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,860 times
On my street we just spend our time in the front yard, so we know our neighbors. The few who do drive in and close their garage are called "click-bangers". I was a "click-banger" in Houston, but that is just not acceptable here in VOSH (Villages of Shady Hollow).

Old 05-20-2008, 09:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulg928 View Post
Take a peek in the garages that are open in Austin. Thy are filled w/ boxes lol. When I move to Austin someday I would love to have a 3 car garage.

Paul G.
I always think that's kind of funny. I am working hard to divest myself of 'stuff'. I'd hate to have a garage full of 'stuff'. But, hey, if that works for them, go for it.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,400,832 times
I'm a central Austin carport girl. If I had even one garage, it would just collect stuff as most garages do. We built a little shed in the back yard for all the things that needs to be locked away. A three-car garage seems excessive to me. I think that very large houses (3000sf plus and monster garages) will some day go the way of the dinosaur.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

97 posts, read 431,913 times
Default our house/garage hunt

After seeing 40 houses in 2 days this weekend, I can tell you (at least for us), the garage size was a BIG consideration. While having a 2-car was not a deal-killer as long as the house had other pros going for it, we certainly were hoping for 3-car garage. While we don't have 3 cars, we really need the storage space given the lack of basement.

That's my 2-cents.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Well, with the price of gas heading nowhere but UP, I can't imagine that families will continue ADDING cars necessitating a 3rd garage space, but I guess it would be cool for bikes, tools, etc. I'd never buy a house with one.
Gotta have room for that Smart Car or scooter or HPV.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM

30 posts, read 140,205 times
My husband has a "play" car and usually has another car too. I want a 3-car garage for that reason. And in a few years we will have a teen driver (help me). She is not driving my car nor my husband's car, so we will most likely have a 3rd car at that point.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 AM

124 posts, read 564,062 times
we just moved into a house with a 3 car. It was a must. I was tired of a garage so little we could barely open our car doors. And those "tools" everyone spoke of for home repair...there was no room for them!!!

Now we have a huge garage and space to store the tools and I will get myself a little saw for cutting wood for work projects. I'm so happy. I'll never go back to 2 cars.

Oh, and I live out in Lakeway...far far from all the central people who hate garages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: