Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 02:33 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

right now all districts get the same amount per student, plus col type increments. I think the COL adjustment is too low for austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 05:14 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Then all tax jurisdictions need to cut their budgets a minimum of 10% every year they want to raise taxes.

Aww C'mon Man stop making sense!!

The truth is there is no incentive to cutting the fat from a budget if they can just demand more money to pay for more fat! Fiscal responsibility is not a priority or even an understood concept in government anymore.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:56 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Aww C'mon Man stop making sense!!

The truth is there is no incentive to cutting the fat from a budget if they can just demand more money to pay for more fat! Fiscal responsibility is not a priority or even an understood concept in government anymore.
I say give them a budget by referendum, pay them exactly that, and fire the entire senior leadership if they fail to meet it. If they go under it, give half the difference out as a bonus as a form of "profit sharing".

Old 04-20-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You could not be more wrong about that. It's impossible to cut taxes for a school district when the number of enrolled students stays the same, but teachers expect to make more money, health care costs go up, energy costs go up, etc. You can't just make the classes bigger, that's counter productive.

City costs seldom go down. Police officers expect raises every year, health care, vehicle costs, fuel costs, more police to cover increased area or larger population. Same for firefighters.

The garbage still needs to be collected, which costs more every year.

Government services can't be cut just because you hate the idea of paying taxes.
YOU couldn't be more wrong.

There's plenty of money in Government. It's ALWAYS wasted. You could lay off half the staff in most of these government departments with no impact on quality of services.

Taxes can't be raised into oblivion to satisfy statists like you. If you love taxes so much, I'm sure your county would love a voluntary contribution.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I say give them a budget by referendum, pay them exactly that, and fire the entire senior leadership if they fail to meet it. If they go under it, give half the difference out as a bonus as a form of "profit sharing".

Aww C'mon Man you're making sense again! I think your idea is a very workable one. It actually creates an incentive for fiscal responsibility. Unfortunately to many out there will disagree with you and the status quo will continue with more waste and more demanding of money for more waste.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:

There's plenty of money in Government. It's ALWAYS wasted. You could lay off half the staff in most of these government departments with no impact on quality of services.

Taxes can't be raised into oblivion to satisfy statists like you. If you love taxes so much, I'm sure your county would love a voluntary contribution.

Don't be to hard on the Trolls. One minute they support property taxes and claim it's necessary and the next they don't.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63300966-post69.html

Quote:
You should always protest, unless the value is far below what would be reasonable.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:17 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Don't be to hard on the Trolls. One minute they support property taxes and claim it's necessary and the next they don't.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63300966-post69.html
Now you are being intentionally stupid. There's nothing wrong with paying the taxes you owe and no more.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:22 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:

OK, great, let's cut police, fire, sheriff, sewer and water, and garbage collection by 50% and see what happens. For Houston, police and fire budgets are more than property tax collections, so cutting them would result in real savings for taxpayers.

Have you ever actually run a large organization? I get the impression you haven't, or you would not make specious claims.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:15 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
There is a reason why so many are leaving certain states and moving to states like Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
WE NEED ACTUAL REFORM at the state level! Prop Taxes-cedb5228-efbb-46d3-ab1f-f3c9a16ad386.png  

Old 04-22-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
OK, great, let's cut police, fire, sheriff, sewer and water, and garbage collection by 50% and see what happens. For Houston, police and fire budgets are more than property tax collections, so cutting them would result in real savings for taxpayers.

Have you ever actually run a large organization? I get the impression you haven't, or you would not make specious claims.
Actually, school taxes are half my taxes. Cut schools and my tax bill declines 50%.

You've obviously never worked in a government organization. Government is an organization where 80% of the highest paid do absolutely nothing and the remaining 20% carry all the weight and are the lowest paid. Fire half of that 80%, give the 20% who actually do productive work a 30% pay bump and you've got your 50% budget cut right there.

Like I said. You're more than welcome to donate your own money to the county for the bureaucrats to waste. I'll take a hard pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin