Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 12:08 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah, last summer was a relatively mild Austin summer. What we had this year was closer to normal, but on the extreme side of things still.
I read somewhere that this summer we've had the most consecutive number of triple digit degree days in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 12:37 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I read somewhere that this summer we've had the most consecutive number of triple digit degree days in history.
A few years back (2011) we had something like 27 days in a row over 100 and 90 something total for the summer. It was brutal. I don't think we broke either of those this year, but have not kept track, really.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:32 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I can't believe that temps are approaching the triple digits later this week, it sure is quite a contrast to last year's Fall when it cooled off right when the Fall season began.
I would say end of october the mornings are usually quite cold and the afternoons are reliably comfortable.

I have periodically trained for the enchilada buffet (80 mile mountain bike race in austin). For the two months leading up to the race it is typically brutal in september then starts to get comfortable/cold october mornings. The day of the race (end of oct) it

1) often rains so the race is rained out
2) is freezing in the morning
3) comfortable/slightly warm when riding on 360 in the afternoon.

I wont swim in under 90 degrees, so the end of swim season usually happens sometime in october.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I don't think last year is very typical anymore, at least since 2015 when I moved here. Upper 90s in late-September is all too common in recent years. Cool fronts can come in during October but it's mid-November for chilly weather to start.
7 years isnt sufficient to spot any trends when it comes to weather. Anything you "think" is just confirmation bias of whatever you believe.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:12 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
It all depends on how you define hot / warm / mild / cool / cold. Some folks think anything under 60F is "cold". Others think anything over 80F is "hot." I personally don't use those terms as either of those temperature definitions.

It's fair to say that the first significant downward trend in temperature (often also associated with a downward trend in humidity) typically happens anytime from mid-September to mid-October, when low temps in the morning go down into the upper 50s to mid-60s. You really gotta hate those mid-October years (fortunately not very common...yet) because it seems like you just wait FOREVER. Daytime temps may still get to 90, but usually that's mitigated by lower humidity.

Last year was extremely unusual in that there was a strong cold front right after Labor Day. I honestly can't remember anything like that before.

This year's heat wave right at the beginning of autumn is definitely not typical, but I do recall having it happen before.

Fortunately, the first real influx of early-autumn drier northern air should happen early next week.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:29 AM

2,220 posts, read 1,392,009 times
The forecast this week looks beautiful. This is my personal favorite weather: cool mornings with daytime highs that peak in the lower 90s.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:28 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Not soon enough. Fall gets less and less each year and I've been here 18 years.

This week is nice, except for the 90s. We should be through with those temps by now.

This summer was absolutely brutal, right on up there with 2011. I again suffered landscape losses due to the extreme unrelenting heat.

I didn't move down here for the weather.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:35 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

This week is nice, except for the 90s. We should be through with those temps by now.

This summer was absolutely brutal, right on up there with 2011. I again suffered landscape losses due to the extreme unrelenting heat.

I didn't move down here for the weather.
Eh, the last week of September is 90 F or higher ~30-35% of the time, based on 100+ years or so of data. So while last week was much hotter than historical (<10% of the years have been that hot), this coming week is not that odd.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:59 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Eh, the last week of September is 90 F or higher ~30-35% of the time, based on 100+ years or so of data. So while last week was much hotter than historical (<10% of the years have been that hot), this coming week is not that odd.
Since 2004, I recall it being less than 90 degrees during the beginning of October plenty of times. I recall the weather becoming less hot the further along in September as well. Maybe 2011 was when things started to change (I am not counting the one off 100 degrees here and there), but either way it's getting hotter and hotter each year and we're getting fewer temperate months. My husband is a native and he says the same thing.

I think the resuming drought is even more concerning.

Last edited by riaelise; 09-26-2022 at 06:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2022, 11:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I didn't move down here for the weather

I agreed to move here for the weather; but we arrived just in time for FIVE years of record-setting heat and drought!!! We often heard it was one year of drought followed by two years of floods or vice versa; but we saw nothing but drought and heat for the first five years!!!(Except for ONE day in Sept, 2010 when we got 13" of rain!!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin